Savage LRPV not up to expectations

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Bill B 1
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 LRPV

Savage LRPV not up to expectations

Post by Bill B 1 »

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and after lurking for a short time this is my first post.
I recently purchased a new Savage model 12 LRPV after reading many positive reviews. I mounted a Leopold VX-3 6.5-20 x 50 with the varmint reticle using Leopold mounts and rings. I spent hours studiously breaking in the barrel. I am disappointed in the accuracy I have achieved so far. I have tried factory Hornady 32 gr and 40 gr V-Max, and precision hand loads using 32 and 40 gn V-Max projectiles in many variations of powder and load weights, with virtually the same results. At 100 yards I have been shooting 3 shot groups that are consistently over 2" occasionally less but not much. I am shooting with a Lead Sled on a concrete bench with virtually no wind, very steady and I feel that there is practically no human error in my shooting, certainly not that much. I thought I found the problem in the fore stock which was hitting the barrel hard out at the end, I fixed that but no real help. I am convinced the aluminum bed in the OEM stock is at fault as it just feels mushy when tightening the screws. Any thoughts on fixing this problem on the factory stock or is an aftermarket stock bedded properly my best bet??
Thanks in advance,
Bill
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Re: Savage LRPV not up to expectations

Post by MZ5 »

Call Savage, then send it to them.
Bill B 1

Post by Bill B 1 »

I found this article regarding tuning the action screws on the savage rifle. Going to give it a try when I get a chance.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... ue-tuning/
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Definitely something not right, even factory ammo should get 1-1.5" groups. Did anyone else try shooting it besides you?
K = ½mv2
WI3Der
.204 Ruger Guns: cz 527

Post by WI3Der »

I also had accuracy issues with a LRPV in 204. I did all the tricks, was at about the 300 round mark and not had a group under 1". In my experience if they don't come around in 200 rounds or so something is wrong. I can actually say it was not the shooter cause I shoot its twin in 223 and if it doesn't group 3/8" at 100 yards I am having a really bad day! I sent mine back to savage and they did re-crown the barrel and claimed it met their accuracy standards. Got it back with absolutely no difference in groups (1-2"). Not good enough for me, so out of rage I went to a very high volume gun dealer in my neck of the woods and traded it for a Tikka Super Varmint in 223. I am very happy with the Tikka! If yours is shooting as poorly as you say, Savage may re-barrel it for you. Otherwise if you really like the LRPV platform I would cut my losses and go with a Criterion after market barrel. The other option is a CZ527 in 204, they shoot as good if not better than a LRPV and are considerably lighter and less expensive . Good luck with the savage, they do make a good bench/prone gun.
Bill B 1

Post by Bill B 1 »

So I tried the procedure for tuning the action screws and found very little change following the procedure exactly. I decided to pull the rearmost screw out completely as it was binding up in the through hole in the stock......all of a sudden my groups tightened up dramatically to the tune of approximately .75" average max spread @ 100 yards on 6 consecutive 5 shot groups with factory Hornady 40 gr. Next I tried some hand loads on which I turned the necks something I hadn't done yet and increased the jump space from .075" on previous hand loads to .100" (I found factory ammo is approximately .175 jump). Using 26.0 gr of H322 and 40 gr Hornady vmax. WOW! My average max spread on 6 consecutive 5 shot groups went down to .380 @ 100 yards! I did have 2 fliers which I didn't count in my averages. I'm going to open up the rear action hole in the stock and try the tuning procedure again to see what happens.
3rdSFGRetired
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by 3rdSFGRetired »

My intention is not to be mean, however I must ask, have you really evaluated yourself as potential cause of accuracy issues. I've seen many a shooters get flustered with groups. Ive seen great success using a laser to determine if the shooter is problem. Any cheap laser will work. Have a observers watch that laser on target while the shooter dry-fires... the laser won't lie and usually exposes what's going on...
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

+1 To MZ5, send it back & don't waste your time. But, my buddy has sent his 270 back 3 times & it still won't shoot. WID3er, +1, get rid of it. I'll open up a can of s*** here but I've never had a Savage out shoot a Remy with good hand loads. If you can afford it, climb the ladder to a Kimber Pro Varmint, I bought mine in 204 Nib for $1059. Never broke it in, just cleaned after every 25-30 shots and it shoots in the 2's when I do my part. My varmint Remy in 204 shoots all day in the 3-5's with several different loads. Just my 2 cents worth but it would go back or be gone!
Jim D :shrug: :hail:
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

My Savage 204s, 12VLP and 11 Thumbhole would put 3 shots under a dime out of the box. Try 26 grains of H4895 with 39 grain Blitzkings with OBL at 2.408 inches. This is well under a max load. Everybody has their own history with rifles, I would not own another Remington, three bad ones in a row!
Please, no Sidewinder today!
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

Most 12 twist rifles will shoot the 32-39 grain lead core bullets fine , some can't shoot the 40's. As a rule stick to the 32's till everything is figured out eliminating the rifles twist from the equation. But it sounds like you figured it out. (I shoot 6 savages )
Powders to use:
Reloader 10X
X-Terminator/AA2230 (same powder)
H-4895
LT32 Very accurate..

39 Grain Sierra's
32 Grain V-Max's

good luck

Retired Timber faller