Which cleaning rod?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
pre64win
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Which cleaning rod?

Post by pre64win »

Which type cleaning rod do you prefer and why? I have been using Dewey coated rods but in my 204 the coating quickly wears of the end of the rod, I use a bore guide so it should be centered. Does any one use a polished stainless rod and how do you like it? What about Tipton carbon fiber rods?
pre64win
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Which cleaning rod?

Post by Bill K »

Have a dewey also, and the coating has worn in spots, the rod just seems like it will not hold straight and solid. I went to a SS Pro Shot and that one is working just great. Personally that is the only rod I will purchase anymore. Never tried a carbon fibre, but have heard some reports that it also is not a good rod, in the long haul. but you know rumor mill. Anyway, I say check out Pro-shot. Bill K :)
Spud
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1,Savage 12V,AR15-204

Post by Spud »

I have been using a Montana X-Treme (MTX) 1-Piece Cleaning Rod 20 caliber coated spring steel for the past 4 years and haven't had any problems with it. I also have one in carbon fiber for my 17 cal. both have stood up just fine. The think that I like is the handle is very smooth and you can watch the rod rotate as you push it down the bore. I guess the only down side is that they are a little pricey
Spud
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

+1 on Montana X-treme. I use them for all my small calibers. Maybe not as stiff as some but I just trim my patch where it's not as tight. Really the best rods I've ever used but like spud said a little expensive. But add what you have in your rifle, scope, base/rings, ammo, the hunt, & it doesn't sound that bad. Happy Thanksgiving all,
Jim D
truckerwalt
.204 Ruger Guns: RUGER MK II/SAVAGE MOD. 12

Post by truckerwalt »

i own a tipton carbon fibre rod in .20 cal and .22 cal..they might bend but they always come out straight. i think they are great. tipton makes a .17/.20 and also simply a .20 rod
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

I run the carbon fiber rods for most rifles. My 20-cal is a Gunslick (I think?) coated rod, though. Couldn't locate a 20-cal carbon fiber at the time I was looking.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I use carbon fiber rods as they cannot harm your barrel and there is no coatings to peel off and go somewhere. Just be cautious with carbon fiber rods with the 17 and 20 calibers as they have small threads and will break if you have the patch too tight and try to pull it back out.
Please, no Sidewinder today!