I got lucky but one small problem

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
gundogblue
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FV

I got lucky but one small problem

Post by gundogblue »

Im in the process of scoping my new Savage 12 FV in 204, I figured Id have to buy a new base and rings for it. I was gonna go with the weaver base and tactical rings, as they've served me well on other rifles. So Im sittin around this morning thinking about it, and it hit me, I have a Leupold 2 piece dovetale base set and rings for it somewhere, I took them off my Savage 10 FP a few yrs ago, and replace them with Weavers. Now if I could only remember where they were, Id be crappin in tall cotton :D . Well I found them, and they fit, it seems the Savage rifles in both 10, and 12 with the accue trigger are short actions, and take the same bases. The only problem I have is, I have a BSA bore sighter kit, and the arbor size starts at .17 cal, the next size is .22 cal, so Im woundering if I can bore sight my rifle useing the .17 cal arbor?? I know it's a weird question but maybe someone here will know the answer. It's a great feeling to know that the $65 bucks I saved will go twords 204 dies :wink:
Thanks Much,
Paul :lol:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: I got lucky but one small problem

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Forget those silly bore sighters and just put up a small piece of black tape 1" square on something white or light colored, put it 25 yds away, put the rifle on bags, remove the bolt, look down the bore and orient the rifles bore to be on the tape. Hold the thing still, crank your scope dials until it also is 'looking' at the tape and lock them down.

Take the rifle to the range and you'll be on the paper at 25 yds, then small adjustments at 100 to dial it right in. Been doing this for over 50 years, never spent the money for those silly bore sighter kits and have been better off as a result. It works and nothing touching the precious lands and grooves of my custom barrels! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Plus one, as Rick said.. Works just great and is so fast and easy. Bill K
savgebolt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture , model 12 savage

Post by savgebolt »

well blue , rick and bill and i are all in agreement,,, but if your stuck on your bore sighter , just wrap tape around the arbour to the proper diameter , that will get you goin