consistent groups and "hold"

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
johnhenry
.204 Ruger Guns: M-77 Hawkeye Predator .204

consistent groups and "hold"

Post by johnhenry »

Some days I shoot noticeably tighter groups then others. Same ammo weather etc.
Im blaming myself for inconsistent hold.
So Im thinking about a "lead sled" type rest to help with the inconsistent hold issue. Particularly after watching bench rest shooter videos and the "fine adjustable" rests Ive seen used.
Be grateful to hear any opinions from shooters who have used these types of rests or any other bench rest devices to help me get more consistent groups.

Thank you,
John Henry in CT
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: consistent groups and "hold"

Post by Jim White »

Regarding your shooting position, it seems to me that no matter what device you decide to use [led sled, sand bags etc...] you need to take the time to get yourself and your position set up so then when you're getting down to business and start shooting no [or as little as possible movement is induced. NPA, eye relief, trigger control, parallax, cheek-weld, scope level and so on still come into play. When I was competing, it was said that every .008" of muzzle movement was 1-moa. Needless to say that isn't much.

If your ammo is all consistent and from the same LOTs of components, they should be fairly consistent, if not start looking at some of the details. With the firearm, make sure everything is tight and that your barrel isn't fouled and nothing else is amiss.

Last but not least, don't overlook the weather, especially if it is warm and there is even the slightest hint of [barrel] mirage. That alone can scatter groups. Naturally, keep an eye out for wind shifts and velocity. I didn't see a caliber mentioned but the smaller and lighter the bullet the more the effect.

HTH,
johnhenry

Post by johnhenry »

:) Thanks for the reply Jim.
Im shooting a Ruger Hawkeye Predator in .204 Ruger with Hornady factory 25 gr NTX ammo. Burris 6.5 x 20 e-1 Fullfield scope.http://www.204ruger.com/forum/posting.p ... =2&t=11547#

Took my cousin with me to the range this afternoon. He watched me shoot a 4 shot 1-1/2 inch group and said I was trying too hard. Said to relax and quit trying the hold the rifle so tight. I also changed out my rear rabbit eared bag for a suede 4"x6" popcorn filled flat bag at the rifle butt. So I loosened up my grip and shoulder contact and proceeded to shoot a four shot @ 100yd .220 inch group. Will try to post a photo later.

I feel much better now. For a while I was worried that I "cleaned the accuracy" out of my barrel during my last cleaning session.
Thanks again, John Henry
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

A couple of other points;

- don't forget to breath and;

- don't stare at the target too long. Your first look is going to be your best look and if you can't get the shot off start all over and;

- if you have to reset as mentioned above and the barrel and chamber are warm, it requires ejecting the round and putting in a cooler one. Failure to do so may result in scattered fliers.

All this stuff about heat sensitive powders and so on; don't get caught up in this and think that it can't happen to a round in a chamber, because it can/does, especially in a small capacity cartridge like a 204.

HTH
johnhenry

Post by johnhenry »

http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/johnd ... y_zpsxysjv
Hope this photo displays where its supposed to be.
4 shots 100 yds Hornady 25 GR NTX factory ammo
johnhenry

Post by johnhenry »

Golly. That didnt work out well at all. My apologies. Will keep trying.
johnhenry

Post by johnhenry »

johnhenry

Post by johnhenry »

file:///C:/Users/John/Downloads/204%20%20r%204%20shots@100y.jpg
johnhenry

Post by johnhenry »

Sorry again. This is beyond my pea brain capacity.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

johnhenry wrote:Sorry again. This is beyond my pea brain capacity.
The only way I can post pictures is to send them to someone else with my phone and beg for help. Gave up a few years ago, it just never 'clicked' for me. The guys who posts pictures on here will tell you it's simple. Don't ever trust them... :wink:
johnhenry

Post by johnhenry »

Hahahahaa Its nice to know I`m not alone. Gotta be some kind of mojo magic involved.... Maybe Ill look for a different photo poster site thats made simpler for my simple mind. :huh:

I`m thankful for the folks that keep this a forum it up and operating.
johnhenry

Post by johnhenry »

johnhenry

Post by johnhenry »

Did it!!!!! Used a different photo posting outfit and it happened the first try.

4 shot group, .204 R ,100 yds ,with Hornady factory 25 GR NTX ammo. Measures .220 center to center.
Rifle is a Ruger m77 Hawkeye Predator.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Nothing the matter with that, now go try it at 200 yards and see if it still groups; if so you're good to go
johnhenry

Post by johnhenry »

Hi Jim;
Range is only 135 yds safely this time of year. When the golf course in my backyard shuts down over the winter I can shoot 350 yds with out worry. Just have to wait till the course shuts down for the year. As someone expressed it, "a golf course is a waste of a perfectly good shooting range."

If I get a chance this weekend I will try some Nosler 32 Varmageddon and some heavier Hornady stuff. Cant wait!