.204 Ruger Popularity?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
miketuite
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

.204 Ruger Popularity?

Post by miketuite »

Hi,

This is my first post here. I just found the forum, and I hope I'll have something to offer I know I'll learn a lot. A question:

When the round first came out, I bought a CZ 527 American. I loved both the rifle and the round. So I did what I've done too many times before: I sold the rifle and have regretted it ever since. I finally remedied that by recently buying a CZ 527 Varmint. Great rifle!

I've been having trouble finding much of a selection of ammo. Several local stores don't carry the caliber at all. Cabela's has only Hornady and Winchester, and Gander Mountain has only Remington. Neither of them carry much inventory. This is a different situation than when the round first came out, and I'm wondering why. Have some ammo makers dropped the caliber? Has its popularity decreased? Am I crazy? I'd appreciate your viewpoints on what, if anything, has changed.

Thanks,

Mike
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: .204 Ruger Popularity?

Post by Bill K »

I think it is more a supply and demand situation, the 204R is not the only round that seems to be in short supply, seems as if the 223 is the biggest seller, so it is getting all the devotion by companies for loading/sales. The answer is to start, if you do not now, loading your own. Bill K
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Welcome Mike! Bill K is correct, reloading is the way to go. But if your wanting factory 204, go to gunbot.com & enter ammunition-rifle-204 Ruger. I just looked & there is 6 different brands of 204 on there listed for sale by different companies. Internet order is the way to go for reloading & loaded ammo. Gunbot & Ammoseek are both good choices to look. Mike, a couple of my rifles shoot the Fiocchi Extrema V-max 223 so well that I don't even load for them anymore. Buddy I hope this helps you,
Jim D :camper:
miketuite

Post by miketuite »

Thanks, Bill and Jim, that's very helpful. I hadn't thought about a shortage, but that makes a lot of sense. I do reload, and I intend to do so for the .204R. I wanted some factory ammo so that I could start shooting right away and to look for clues as to the bullet(s) and muzzle velocity(ies) that the rifle likes. Of course I'm at a big disadvantage not knowing the powder and charge the factory loads use.

Again, thanks for your help.

Mike
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I would suggest, buying loads in the 32gr, or 39gr. These seem to be the best shooting loads for the 204R. Not too many 204R rifles like the 40gr loads. Just a thought.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I believe the website is www.gunbot.net but adding to what others have said try and set yourself up for reloading, you'll be happier in the long run.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I agree with the above comment, most 204Rs do not like the 40 grain bullet, for whatever reason, but the Sierra 39 BK shoots in most like a house on fire. You will find the 32 grain bullets in most brands and the 35 grain Berger's also will be your best bullet. Find a couple you rifle likes and stick with them. Bill K
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

The 204 is not as popular as it once was. I work at a gun counter and sell very few 204s. When I was in Montana, a store there said that they are selling well there. We have little ammo for sale and limited options for brass, Winchester and Remington brass cannot be found. It is a great round but is getting more difficult to shoot. Sierra just raised the price on 204 bullets by about $4.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
miketuite

Post by miketuite »

OK, guys. I'm an avid reloader and I'll be at it soon. I was hoping to get some clues as to what my rifle likes from the factory loads. It's interesting that, while I have very little data so far, the Hornady 40g load is shooting a little better than the 32g load. I'll be doing some shooting next week and we'll see how that result holds up after burning a lot more ammo.

Thanks for all the help and sharing your experience.

Mike
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

http://www.thehuntingshack.com
They load .204 ammo with bullets you'd never dream of finding in a store, e.g.: 35 and 40 gr. Bergers, 39 Sierra Blizkings (no longer offered in Federal ammo), etc. Prices and shipping are (relatively) reasonable if I remember right, as I've bought a box in various calibers occasionally in the past when wanting to get a rough idea how certain bullets might shoot, or trying out a new rifle/chambering before shelling out $ for components (can always reload or sell the brass.)
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Interesting to hear that its starting to die off. Too bad because there isn't anything else like it on the market currently.
miketuite

Post by miketuite »

Thanks for the link, Rowdy. I hadn't heard of them. Jim, I guess I'm good at picking losers. Another favorite of mine is 6mm Remington. I have a lot of brass, so, as long as they keep making bullets, I'm happy. If the same thing is happening with .204R, I need more brass!

Thanks,

Mike
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

The 6mm Remington is one of my favorites as well, excellent cartridge.
53eldorado
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator

Post by 53eldorado »

Most of the store around here are still stocking the Hornady ammo. 32 and 40. Still seems to be a demand here in Colorado.
autoxforfun
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP, Savage Model 12 LRPV, AR-15 w/24"Shilen

Post by autoxforfun »

I just purchased a Savage Model 12 VLP in .204 Ruger. I have a Savage in .223 and find it a great rifle...looking forward to the .204. In looking around, there seemed to adequate supply....if you use the internet. There is limited supply in the local stores here in N. CA, and the prices are high. Ammoseek.com seems like a good way to find the best price.