News from my gunsmith

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

News from my gunsmith

Post by futuretrades »

I had to send my S&W revolver in to a gunsmith, in Texas, for some repair work. The good news, my revolver be will shipped before the end of the week.

The bad news; He told me about some new laws concerning gunsmiths in Texas, and I would guess for all gunsmiths in the country He will now, as of January this next year, buy a special license from the gubment for $7,000.00, just to stay in business, plus another license from ATF for $3,000.00 so he can receive and ship repaired firearms back to his customers. In other words, The price of gun ownership is going SKY high in the not to distant future.

I am posting this mainly to any gun owners who are not concerned about this next presidential election, as far as buying or owning a fire arm in this country, you need to consider the consequences of not voting or voting for the gun hating Dems in this next election. As a side note, if you are not a card carrying NRA member, I suggest you become one, and try to keep up with the candidates running for office, locally and nationally. We all need to be informed, before voting, not only this year, but in the future also!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: News from my gunsmith

Post by Jim White »

Here it is:

Its one of those things politicians do under the cover of darkness; in this case by the State Department during the last day of the Republican Nat'l Convention and of course, not picked up by the press.

ITAR Registration Requirements – Consolidated Guidance July 22, 2016 Firearms Manufacturers and Gunsmiths

Applicability of the ITAR Registration Requirement to Firearms Manufacturers and Gunsmiths

Summary:

The Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) has reviewed and consolidated policy guidance about whether various activities related to firearms constitute manufacturing for International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Parts 120-130) purposes and require registration with DDTC and payment of a registration fee. DDTC has found that many – but not all - traditional gunsmithing activities do not constitute manufacturing for ITAR purposes and, therefore, do not require registration with DDTC. The following guidance is confined to DDTC’s ITAR implementation. You must also comply with all other relevant laws.

Background:

The Arms Export Control Act (AECA) (22 U.S.C. § 2751 et seq.) and the Gun Control Act (GCA) (18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq.) are two distinct U.S. laws that concern manufacturing of firearms. The GCA requires firearm manufacturers to obtain licenses as manufacturers (known as Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs)) from the Department of Justice’s Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). The AECA, in relevant part, requires manufacturers of defense articles, including certain firearms, to register with the Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls. Because the GCA is intended to cover a broader scope of domestic activity than the AECA, the ATF regulations define the term “ firearm” more broadly than the ITAR. As a result, not every firearm controlled by the ATF regulations is also controlled by the ITAR.

The AECA’s statutory requirement for firearms manufacturers to register with DDTC is implemented in Part 122 of the ITAR:

§122.1 Registration requirements.
(a) Any person who engages in the United States in the business of manufacturing or exporting or temporarily importing defense articles, or furnishing defense services, is required to register with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls under §122.2. For the purpose of this subchapter, engaging in such a business requires only one occasion of manufacturing or exporting or temporarily importing a defense article or furnishing a
defense service. A manufacturer who does not engage in exporting must nevertheless register.

ITAR registration is required of persons who engage in the business of manufacturing defense articles. Persons who do not actually manufacture ITAR-controlled firearms (including by engaging in the activities described below, which DDTC has found in specific cases to constitute manufacturing) need not register with DDTC – even if they have an FFL from ATF. As indicated above, the requirements for obtaining FFLs under the GCA are separate and distinct from the requirement under the AECA and ITAR to register with DDTC.

The term “manufacturing” is not defined in the ITAR. In order to determine whether a firearmsrelated activity constitutes manufacturing for ITAR purposes, DDTC applies the ordinary, contemporary, common meaning of the term. Likewise, DDTC applies the ordinary, contemporary, common meaning for “gunsmithing,” which traditionally has broadly included designing, making, or repairing guns. Not all firearms (as defined by ATF regulation) are “defense articles” under the ITAR, however, and not all activities involving assembly of and repairs to firearms qualify as manufacturing for ITAR purposes. DDTC has found that many traditional gunsmithing activities do not constitute manufacturing for ITAR purposes and, therefore, do not require registration under the ITAR, particularly where such activities do not require cutting, drilling, or machining and do not improve the accuracy, caliber, or operation of the ITAR-controlled firearm beyond its original capabilities.

Policy Guidance:
The guidance below is limited to domestic (U.S.) activities involving firearms (as defined in Category I(j)(1) of the United States Munitions List (USML) (22 CFR § 121.1)) and related ammunition that are .50 caliber (12.7 mm) or smaller - i.e., firearms in Category I, paragraphs (a) and (b), related items in paragraphs (e)-(h), and ammunition in Category III(a) for those firearms. Activities involving items elsewhere on the USML, including
Category I, paragraphs (c) and (d), are not included in the scope of this guidance.

1. Registration not Required – Not Manufacturing: In response to questions from persons engaged in the business of gunsmithing, DDTC has found in specific cases that ITAR registration is not required because the following activities do not meet the ordinary, contemporary, common meaning of “manufacturing” that DDTC employs in implementing the ITAR and, therefore, do not constitute “manufacturing” for ITAR purposes:

a) Occasional assembly of firearm parts and kits that do not require cutting, drilling, or machining;

b) Firearm repairs involving one-for-one drop-in replacement parts that do not require any cutting, drilling, or machining for installation;

c) Repairs involving replacement parts that do not improve the accuracy, caliber, or other aspects of firearm operation;

d) Hydrographic paint or Cerakote application or bluing treatments for a firearm;

e) Attachment of accessories to a completed firearm without drilling, cutting, or machining—such as attaching a scope, sling, or light to existing mounts or hooks, or attaching a flash suppressor, sound suppressor, muzzle brake, or similar item to a prethreaded muzzle;

f) Cosmetic additions and alterations (including engraving) that do not improve the accuracy, caliber, or other aspects of firearm operation beyond its original capabilities;

g) Machining new dovetails or drilling and tapping new holes for the installation of sights which do not improve the accuracy or operation of the firearm beyond its original capabilities; and

h) Manual loading or reloading of ammunition of .50 caliber or smaller.

Activities limited to the domestic sale or resale of firearms, the occasional assembly of firearms without drilling, cutting, or machining, and/or specific gunsmithing activities that do not improve the accuracy, caliber, or operations of the firearm beyond its original capabilities (as described above) are not manufacturing within the context of the ITAR. If you are not manufacturing, exporting, temporarily importing or brokering defense
articles or services, you are not required to register with DDTC.

2. Registration Required – Manufacturing: In response to questions from persons engaged in the business of gunsmithing, DDTC has found in specific cases that ITAR registration is required because the following activities meet the ordinary, contemporary, common meaning of “manufacturing” and, therefore, constitute “manufacturing” for ITAR purposes:

a) Use of any special tooling or equipment upgrading in order to improve the capability of assembled or repaired firearms;

b) Modifications to a firearm that change round capacity;

c) The production of firearm parts (including, but not limited to, barrels, stocks, cylinders, breech mechanisms, triggers, silencers, or suppressors);

d) The systemized production of ammunition, including the automated loading or reloading of ammunition;

e) The machining or cutting of firearms, e.g., threading of muzzles or muzzle brake installation requiring machining, that results in an enhanced capability;

f) Rechambering firearms through machining, cutting, or drilling;

g) Chambering, cutting, or threading barrel blanks; and

h) Blueprinting firearms by machining the barrel.

3. Registration Required – Other than Manufacturing:

a) Assisting foreign persons in the design, development, and repair of firearms may constitute the export of a defense service (see 22 CFR § 120.9) and require ITAR registration with and authorization from DDTC; and

b) Exporting a firearm or any other item on the USML requires ITAR registration with and authorization from DDTC.

If, after careful review of this guidance, you are unsure as to whether you are required to register with DDTC, you may submit an advisory opinion request (see 22 CFR § 126.9) detailing exactly what you do or intend to do with regard to firearms and ammunition. This request should be sent
in hard copy (services like UPS or FedEx recommended for faster delivery) as indicated on our website: http://pmddtc.state.gov/about/contact_information.html.

If you have any general follow-on questions, please feel free to contact the Response Team at (202) 663-1282 or DDTCResponseTeam@state.gov.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Have been reading this, around various magazines and releases. The gunsmiths in my area are all concerned, as is, the Gunsmith schools, one of which is in my town. It can and will effect all of them and could anyone of us, if we work on or build a firearm. And again, this is a good example of the government going after lawful and legal folks, instead of the criminals/terrorist. I guess they believe criminals/terrorist's will go to a gunsmith for their weapons and mod's. i.e. file off the serial numbers, saw off the barrels, etc. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

No Bill, it's actually:

a) Just another way to extract money from us for no legitimate purpose.

b) Just another way for them to restrict/limit our 2nd Amendment rights, but under the covers.

c) Make it harder and more expensive to pursue our pastime by way of extreme financial stress by enacting worthless, stupid "laws" no one voted on.

This "president" has made it quite clear that his party (Demorats) wants to disarm us. He/they could give a rats a$$ about the terrorist angle. Remember his own words, something to the effect of "I'll fundamentally change this country".........yeah, to what? :?

This entire episode reminds me of Germany in the 1930's, as history seems to be once again repeating itself. If we get stuck with The Hildabeast ( :eew: ), we're in for some very, very rough times.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Very well stated Rick! I did not want to seem like I am preaching, but the facts are the facts. I know who I am voting for, and it ain't the Hildabeast.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I fully agree Rick, and I also know that everyone of us knows, Hitllary and her kind in Wash DC, and it is loaded with them now days want nothing more than full confiscation, as Hitler/Nazi's did, as mentioned in the 30's. They also want to tear apart and/or remove the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights, for all US citizen's, so they can be like some in past history. It is going to be a long hard fight, too keep our rights and remain a free society. Very sad indeed for the USA. Bill K
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

To add...its been reported that Obama is going to withdraw Merrick Garlands nomination to the Supreme Court if hearings aren't held by Labor Day.

I guess he wants to keep the SLOT open so Hitlary can nominate himself for it; another Judge Roland Freisler in the making...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim, if the Hildabeast gets in and puts Mr. Potatohead on the USSC, we're basically doomed as far as any "gun rights" are concerned. They'll make up laws very similar to the 1930's conversation above. With a swipe of "it's" pen, half the population will be felons.

The Second Amendment? Gone in short order. We'll be lucky to own Wrist-Rockets for crikey sakes! :mad:

I fear for my country.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Rick, couldn't agree more and can "anyone" imagine ole' Bingo himself sitting on the SCOTHUS along side with his side-kick, dis-barred buddy; Slik-Willy himself? On another point; if someone were to look up the legal definition of firearms they just might be surprised what it entails.

Maybe just maybe there is a positive side to having two Clinton's in the White House, maybe they'll both start plotting to take each other out, kinda' like that movie in the 80's called "The War of the Rose's" with Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas.

Wishful thinking I know...
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Ric may well have a point with Hillary appointing Obama, to the court, even tho he supposedly lost his bar. But I had a scary thought, Could it be that when Willey and Lorreta Lynch got together on that plane, she knows the Clinton's will appoint her to the Supreme Court ? Bill k
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Wouldn't surprise me one bit, or others, such as; Huma Abedin, Valarie Jarrett or even ole' Bill Clinton himself.

As far as ole' Bingo being disbarred [so is Bill Clinton], maybe...maybe-not but I don't think it really matters. In other words, is having a degree and a license to practice law a requirement to sit on the court ? I don't know for sure but I don't think so; one doesn't have to have ever been a judge, that's for sure.