I'm hooked!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
204Nut
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FCV

I'm hooked!

Post by 204Nut »

Hello everyone, new to this forum and this is my first post. Have been a reader for a couple weeks and decided to join.

I recently bought a Savage 12 FCV in 204. I've been wanting something different than my grandfathers Savage 340 in 222 for a little while. At first I was really considering a 22-250. My girlfriend's dad bought one, a Savage Axis II, about a month ago and while shooting it was fun and all it just wasn't for me. Between the recoil (not being able to see hits) and the fact it sounds like an '06, drove me to look for something different. Then I learned about the 204, and I'm sure glad I did!

This gun is something else, light recoil, about the same report as my 222, and with trajectories about the same as a 22-250, you can't beat it! I also never knew the world of difference a good trigger makes. I've come to realize how truly bad the trigger on that Savage 340 is. This accutrigger is something else, light pull and nice crisp break. I topped it off with a Mueller Eraticator 8.5-25x50 scope and man it is nice.

The past two nights I've gotten groundhogs at 286 and 340 yards, by far my two longest shots, mainly because I was never confident enough in that 222, too much bullet drop and holding over is not accurate. With this scope I can dial it up and put it right where I want it, something I'm not used to.

I'm going to work up some loads with 39 SBK this winter to test next spring.

Needless to say, I am definitely hooked and I'm sure glad I made the purchase!
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: I'm hooked!

Post by RowdyYates »

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have the .204 figured out. I have three; not very often do I miss my .22-250 anymore.
As far as reloading: with 39 gr. SBKs, Reloader 10 is your friend; 35 Bergers do well for me with a compressed load of Varget.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

You are going to really enjoy that 204 R.. But you just might check out a 20 VT or 20 SCC to go along with it. Bill K
204Nut
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FCV

Post by 204Nut »

Bill, what does it take to make a wildcat cartridge/gun?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

In simple terms. Taking a present cartridge, say a 20 VT and going to a 30 degree shoulder and turning it into the 20SCC, as so many standard cartridges were improved by the gunsmiths like P.O. Ackley did with improved shoulders on various cartridges. Or as many have done re-work, form, shorten cases and neck them down and up to all calibers. It involves obtained dies to form and reload and go through all the steps to make, form and shoot them. Check out a library or goggle wildcat cartridges on the web and read them. There is a ton of information out there. Bill K
DannoBoone
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator .204

Post by DannoBoone »

Another neat 204 caliber wildcat is the Tactical 20. However, if I had it to do
over again, it would not be of Todd Kindler's design, but that used by Greg Tannel.
It really makes no sense to bump the shoulder back .010" and then fireform. Greg
chambers the .204 necked .223 round full length of the shoulder and then fireforms,
bumping the shoulder out at 30*. (Don't go by Hornady hand book dimensions...they had
it wrong from day one and have never corrected it.)

I actually like the Tac20 better than my .204R. It burns powder more efficiently, and
its accuracy load is just as fast as my .204. The .204R is no dog, but it is no better than
the Tac20 in my experience. And there is "0" trouble getting parent cases for the Tac20.
Haven't seen Win or Remmy .204R brass for a loooooong time, now. Would rather have
it than the Hornady brass or the toooo expensive stuff.