Savage .204 VLP

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
3rdSFGRetired
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Savage .204 VLP

Post by 3rdSFGRetired »

Hello,

I've used 5.56 and 7.62 calibers and rifles for 22 years in Army. With that, I deliberately want to go in a different direction and learn a new caliber/rifle. My shooting application is known distance, steel targets only. I've really zeroed in on the Savage .204 VLP.

Can a owner of this rifle provide me with a quick overview of the rifles Perforemance, specifically, how far can this rifle/consistently group. I'm certainly aware the shooters ability is the unknown variable, however what ranges are can this caliber consistently hit. Remember, steel targets only, so I'm not worried about energy at impact and such.

I've seen all the ballistic charts, however I prefer to hear a shooters testimony. Can this caliber/rifle connect consistently at 800 yards aiming at 12"x12" steel?
autoxforfun
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP, Savage Model 12 LRPV, AR-15 w/24"Shilen

Re: Savage .204 VLP

Post by autoxforfun »

I have a Savage VLP and Savage LRPV both in .204 and really enjoy them. I'm also building an AR-15 with a 24" barrel in .204. From my experience (and take if for what it is worth) I don't shoot the .204 beyond 400 yards. The 40g bullets just don't carry beyond that very well especially if there is any kind of wind...which there usually is. I find that my sub MOA rifle becomes a plus MOA rifle at beyond 400 yards. I have a .223 for out to 600 yards and then beyond that I really like the 6.5 Creedmoor. That is my experience....you've definitely been shooting longer than I have and may have better results.