Anyone here familiar with the Leupold VX3i 6.5X20X40?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
montdoug
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint Kevlar with match chamber and zero free-bore.

Anyone here familiar with the Leupold VX3i 6.5X20X40?

Post by montdoug »

I have a fair number of Leupold Vari-XIIs and Vari-XIIIs in 6X20X40's as well as other upper powers. I am now curious about the new Leupold VX3i-6.5X20X40 and am curious how the VX3i's compare? This one would be the "6.5X20X40 EFR Target" and I'm not in a situation to get my hands on one to look through prior to being an owner :? ? Anyone have one of these? Should make a great scope for my .204 or .17MachIV when this round of musical scopes ends.
Sure appreciate any help, thanks!
Shoot Safe!
montdoug

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Anyone here familiar with the Leupold VX3i 6.5X20X40?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Doug, as I mentioned on the phone, I'll be on a rat shooting trip soon with my buddy from the factory and will address your question with him. He's bringing the latest Leupold propaganda, so maybe we'll have some comparative intel for you upon our return.

I just wish they'd keep making these scopes with a 40mm objective to enable nice low mounting over the bore. Who needs a hulking 50mm objective with enough room under the scope to act as a carry handle for daytime rat shooting? :chin:

Film at 11:00 ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

montdoug
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint Kevlar with match chamber and zero free-bore.

Post by montdoug »

Thanks Rick. Sometimes newer means better and sometimes it means cheaper to make :chin: . First it was a Vari-X-III, "top shelf", a year or 2 back it was a VX3 and as of 2015 it's a VX3i, gives one pause don't it :duh: ? Where I live the stores don't stock an array of options to compare so it's "Ya Pay's yer money and Ya Takes yer chances" via internet :( .
I'm with ya on the big light gathering Objective lens's and Tubes, makes perfect sense for spot lighting P-Doggies and gophers. However I seldom partake in those activities :roll: .
Shoot Safe!
montdoug

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Doug, quite simply, according to my factory buddy, the "i" in the model description stands for "improved", nothing more.

They improved the light transmission a bit, edge clarity and overall resolution a tad on that model, otherwise it's a dead-ringer for the standard VX3 series in visual comparison.

And no honkin' celestial observation objective, either! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

521dvx
.204 Ruger Guns: #1Savage 12LRPV , Ruger #1 , Ruger Hawkeye Predator

Post by 521dvx »

Montdoug, I have one of the scopes you are talking about. #170887, I have owned it about 2 months now and have taken it to the range 3 times. I am very pleased with the scope. The side focus works well and gives a very sharp clear target. As with my older Leupolds the adjustments for windage and elevation were accurate and sighting in was easy. This is short but do not know what else to say about this scope but , I am very pleased.
jdohio
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture Predator

Post by jdohio »

I bought one last year to replace a Nikon monarch on my Remington model 700 22-250. I like the leupold a lot. I think it does better in low light.