Is the 204 Ruger right for me...?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
sbsyncro
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Is the 204 Ruger right for me...?

Post by sbsyncro »

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I'm hoping the collective wisdom here can help me understand whether this caliber can fit the niche I'm looking to fill (its an odd one, I'll admit...).

I'm considering the .204 Ruger because my FLGS has a CZ 527 Varmint on consignment in very nice condition and I love the look and feel of the rifle. The question is whether it is the right caliber for my current need...

Here's my deal:

1. Unfortunately (from a hunting/firearms perspective), I live in California, where a state-wide ban on lead will be implemented in 2019. In addition, a new law goes into effect in 2018 making it illegal to purchase ammo online, so access to bulk ammo will be gone except at overpriced local retailers where we will have to pay for an "ammo license" and a freaking background check for each purchase (and they are talking about implementing limits on quantities). Thus, I reload every caliber I shoot, except for 22LR for obvious reasons.

2. I don't hunt predators/coyotes and don't have a ranch where I need to protect livestock. I'm more of a "meat hunter" and tend to focus on deer, pigs, rabbits, and squirrels. I have muzzle loader, .270, .308, and 7.62x54 rifles for the bigger mammals, but nothing for the small ones.

3. Historically I've hunted rabbits with a shotgun or a trusty old Marlin 60 22LR that I've had for about 35 years when the terrain is right. The Marlin is worn out and I'm looking for a replacement. I don't want to take my prized Winchester 63 into the field.

4. Even though something like a 10/22 or other 22LR is the "best choice", because of #1 above, I'm leery about buying a new 22LR for hunting small mammals and interested in centerfire options that I can reload.

So, my big question is whether the .204 Ruger can be "powered down" to 22 mag or 22 hornet levels and still retain accuracy?

Any other thoughts/suggestions would absolutely be welcome! (the other option I'm considering is ordering a new CZ 455 "combo" in 22LR and 17 HMR and then just stockpiling a few thousand $ worth of rimfire ammo (in both lead and non-lead) before our ammo restrictions kick in).

Thanks in advance!

-Brent
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Is the 204 Ruger right for me...?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hi Brent and welcome to the 204um.

I feel your pain, having been forced to live in CA for a number of years after the war before I 'broke out' for the promised land. The laws there in regard to firearms are getting just down right stupid. What else could one expect with the likes of Pelosi and Feinstein in charge, not to mention your idiot liberal governor (we have one of our own here in Oregon, just not as dumb-a$$ stupid as yours, close though :? ).

But to the point.....have you considered the .17 Hornady Hornet for your needs? It is reloadable, there is or will be lead-free bullets available, and it is much cheaper to shoot than the 204R. Loading this large case .204 down to 22Mag or HMR velocities will not give you stellar accuracy, but it can be done with Trail Boss powder with proper loading, just not ideal with such a large case for a .20 caliber.

I'm not going to try to talk you out of a 204R, but considering what you already have in the safe, the bogus laws there, and what you intend to do with the rifle, I'd say go for the CZ 455 with 22LR and 17HMR barrels or a CZ in 17HH. Historically, loading down a large case CF usually does not give the accuracy you're after for small varmints and game.

I've got multiple 204's and love the caliber for shooting squirrels in the alfalfa out past as far as I can shoot them, but for pure fun (and much less expense) you just can't beat a nice shooting 17HMR. I've also got a .17 Ackley Hornet, the cousin of the commercial Hornady version, and also would recommend it for your needs. From my field experience, the 17AH or 17HH is quite effective out past 350 yards on small varmints and game.

As can be seen, the 17HMR works well on rock chucks as long as the limitations of the caliber are taken into consideration. Head shots out to 200 yards seems to work well.

So two calibers tailored to your shooting requirements; one a Rimfire, one you can reload for. If you've not shot a 17HMR yet, you have no idea of how effective the little critter is out to 250 yards. Amazing little caliber. I'm taking my Anschutz 1517D HB in 17HMR out tomorrow for our last hurrah on squirrels. It's just getting too blazing hot to be out there, and by nine in the a.m., the rats are underground to escape the heat.

Good luck with whatever you decide. When you do, be sure to let us know which road you took, and how you like your new rifle. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

Is the 17HMR still effective with body shots at 200 on rock chucks? Quick & clean kill, or a lot of crawl offs, etc.??
Master Piddler ;)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jpx2rk wrote:Is the 17HMR still effective with body shots at 200 on rock chucks? Quick & clean kill, or a lot of crawl offs, etc.??
From my experience since the 17HMR came out, I quit body shots after two seasons for anything over 100 yards. Just too many crawl-offs. However now at any range I only head shoot chucks with my HMR, so since limiting myself to that target area, nothing I've shot has moved more than to fall off or down his rock pile. It works virtually every time......as long as you can make the head shot.

Others may have different experience with the heavier HMR bullets, but I only shoot the 17gr V-Max, as I use it on both ground squirrels and rock chucks, so you can't really base a decision on only one opinion but I spend a lot of time behind a rifle, and that's what I've found.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

sbsyncro
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by sbsyncro »

Thank you (especially Rick in Oregon!) for your responses. I wish I had a situation where I could put the 204 to good use, but after your posts and some additional research I think I'm headed in the direction of the CZ 455 with the interchangeable rimfire barrels (22LR, 17 HMR, and 22 WMR). Trying to tame the .204 by use of light loads seems a bit like trying to stuff a 4 cylinder engine into a '69 Camaro in order to save money on gas. :-)

Thanks again for the help!
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

Thanks RIO, kinda figured that but never hurts to ask. Head shots are more challenging anyways. LOL
Master Piddler ;)
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hey SBS,
I'm hooked on the 17hmr, best thing that's happened for me since sliced bread. It's an awesome little round & so fun & quite to shoot. Quite compared to like a 204. Thanks to RIO, I now have a Sako Quad & an Anschutz HB in 17hmr and wouldn't trade them for any center fire although center fire's have their place.

I don't know what your wanting to spend but the Sako Quad with interchangeable barrels is another option. Mine is a wood stocked varmint model. I called Eurooptic and asked them for their best price & it was $150 less than their listed price. It's a great shooter & almost equal to my Anschutz HB.

I looked at Midway & they have 3 17hmr lead free loads listed when your time comes for that. OR!!! You can just pack it up and move to Texas. We would welcome you escaping a communist state.

Good luck,
Jim D
k9i449
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore WeatherGuard MGM barrel, Bushnell 4500 6-24x40

Post by k9i449 »

Go with the 17WSM you will be pleasantly suprised. A big step up the 17HMR and I have of those too
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I also would say go with the 17HMR set up in the CZ 455. Lead free ammo is there for us too use in it. If you want the added combo barrel for 22lr, add it in and lead free for it also, for down the road in our commie state of Kalifornia and the stupid politicians we have, running it. But keep the 204R for those longer shots at varmints. Nosler's lead free tipped 32 grain bullets work just great in it also.
Like you said you are covered for the larger game and these two would work perfect for your small game/varmint shooting. Bill K
Ruben
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 browning

Post by Ruben »

204 is an ex hands varmint gun I was a luck guy to get three browning bolts years ago they were only made for a short time but they shoot and handle like dream.
BitterClinger
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 LRPV

Post by BitterClinger »

Given you live in Commie CA and there's a ban on lead bullets, not a varmint hunter and the fact that there is a relatively limited selection of .204 bullets to begin with I'd say no. I'd say you're probably better off with a .223Rem. Mainly since you're limited to lead free bullets and for pigs the .204 would probably be near my last choice in a centerfire to hunt pigs. The 223 on the other hand you can go heavy and even deer hunt with it if you watch shot placement.