Ruger 77 204 bore sight scope crosshair don't line up

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
bdcole_51
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 204

Ruger 77 204 bore sight scope crosshair don't line up

Post by bdcole_51 »

He guys I am new to the site but not new to Ruger 77 rifles since I own 5 and the 204 is # 6 and I have never had a problem with any of them. The problem I am having with the 204 is when you bore sight it the scope cross hairs are way off the center of the bore ,when I shoot it at 50 yds. it won't touch the paper, so I have to shoot at something on the side of a hill just to see where the bullet is hitting, and when you try adjust the cross hairs it is hitting about 2 ft. to the right and about 1and 1/2 ft. high, by that time the windage and elevation turrets are almost maxed out. I have tried 3 scopes on this rifle and all 3 are hitting the same place, is there a problem with the rifle itself , has anyone had this problem. I hate to send the rifle back to Ruger because it has the prettiest stock of them all. Any help would nice Thanks for the help bdcole_51
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Ruger 77 204 bore sight scope crosshair don't line up

Post by skipper »

Sorry, no one has answered your post yet but there have been some issues with hackers lately. It's unfortunate that your rifle has problems like you're describing. It does seem like something is not quite right. I can only suggest that you evaluate whether or not the scope mount is properly aligned to the centerline of the bore. Some mounts are adjustable but 2 feet at 50 yards is excessive, to say the least. Otherwise, it sounds like something that would make the rifle useless, so you should return it if you can't figure out whats out of alignment.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Ruger 77 204 bore sight scope crosshair don't line up

Post by Bill K »

If you have tried three different scopes and the same issue remains, then I would start with the base mounts, too be sure they are fitting properly, aligned correctly and that the receiver is not tapped out of line.
If that all checks out, then there just has to be a issue with the action and barrel somewhere. i.e. stock fitting, bedding or a bent barrel ( even if you can not see it, being so slight). Have a good gunsmith check all features and if that does not show anything, I would first call Ruger and/or return too them, for checking. Just some of my thoughts. Bill K ( And as a side note, Welcome to the site, Mr. Cole.)