Opinion Wolf or large dog ?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Opinion Wolf or large dog ?

Post by Bill K »

Okay here we go again. Roaming the same general area, maybe a mile further north and ran onto these tracks in the slushy snow.. so they will probably appear somewhat bigger, but just look compared this time, along side the 22-250 I was using this trip. Bill K :)
102_5892.JPG
102_5892.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 4637 times
102_5893.JPG
102_5893.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 4637 times
Ohiolongarm
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Center Venture

Post by Ohiolongarm »

Sir,if i had to make an educated guess,i'd say coyote too small for a grown wolf.Track in line like coyotes walk,too pointy for dog.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

No even close to a coyote track, much larger. Coyotes are narrower and more pointy on the toe areas. See coyote tracks all the time, while calling them and shooting them. This track is much bigger. Along with the fact that wolves have been re-introduced into the area and have already began killing livestock and naturally our deer and other game animals in the region and in their summer/winter paths. Bill K :D
truckerwalt
.204 Ruger Guns: RUGER MK II/SAVAGE MOD. 12

Post by truckerwalt »

if that is a wolf track it must be pretty young. i live in north idaho and the wolf tracks here i have seen are easily twice the size of a .204 round. i have seen in fresh snow wolf tracks every bit as large as a big elk track.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

truckerwalt wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:02 am if that is a wolf track it must be pretty young. i live in north idaho and the wolf tracks here i have seen are easily twice the size of a .204 round. i have seen in fresh snow wolf tracks every bit as large as a big elk track.
Well since I posted that last photo of the possible wolf track, I should now add that the wolves they have brought back into California and this northern and N.E. area of the state are not the larger wolves, but a smaller sub species or the grey wolf.
And also one has been found dead and the GPS collar they had on it recovered in that same general area. so more than likely those tracks I saw, back then, were from this wolf.. At least that is my opinion. Bill K :)