Opinion Wolf or large dog ?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Opinion Wolf or large dog ?

Post by Bill K »

Out for a short shoot in the snow and came back into the area I started and you can see my boot track to the left edge, as I walked out. About 1/2 hr later these tracks were alongside mine. That is a 204 R cartridge to give a idea of the size of this track.. Wolf or large dog checking out my scent trail. Wolves have been tracked via collars in these areas last year, by Fish and Wildlife and USFS biologists in studies. Bill K :)
102_5842.JPG
102_5842.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 5992 times
102_5843.JPG
102_5843.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 5992 times
102_5844.JPG
102_5844.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 5992 times
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Opinion Wolf or large dog ?

Post by skipper »

Either way, you would be well advised to watch your back. Any big cats out your way??
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I always watch Skipper. And yes we have cougar and bobcats all over this area. See one or two, it seems like every year. But the big cats are off limits and the small one's have a season now and require purchase of tags from F&W.. Afraid they will miss a buck, you know.. Bill K

As for the wolves, there are a couple packs running in this and a couple neighbor counties and there has been a increase of confirmed wolf kills on domestic animals, open range and private, along with the deer and some elk in the north part of the country.. But the wolf lovers and Fish & Wildlife want them here and brought back, even though this larger wolf was never in the state of California. So they have brought invasive species and have them protected under the endangered species law/s.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill, as Skipper mentioned, it pays to watch your back when in the outback.

I'd opine that the track could be either, so with wolves about in that area, I'd be very careful and not go out alone.

We've got both wolves and cats here, so I'm always with either my M29 Smith 3" 44 Mag or one of my 1911 .45's if I'm out of the house. Here's my buddy John that was shed hunting not far from here, when he noticed he was being stalked by a large tomcat. He had his Mini-14 with him, and when the cat presented himself, John took the shot from about 15' before the cat pounced.

The date stamp on the camera was not set, so the date is meaningless, but the cat is/was real and shows we've got to pay attention when out and about, weather in the outback, or in the more dangerous "human world". (Got your concealed carry permit? :wink: )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I hunt mostly alone anymore Rick. My regular shooting partner moved to Colo a month ago, so no choice now. But I really do not fear the wolf or cougar, just stay tuned when out. I see cougars more than once seems like every year and they like the wolf usually are very wary and work hard to stay out of contact with humans. But I am watchful and not careless, for sure. Bill K

Headed for 81 yrs old and the wife does not like me going out into some of the places I do go alone, but what is a guy too do ? Stay home and just look at your guns and ammo sitting there when you know there are critters to be had or just plain get out and about ??? Not me. :D
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick/Bill; I gotta believe its just a matter of time before they're west of the Cascade Mountains if there not already. Be careful out there
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

They are already here, in my area and already killing domestic animals, cattle, goats and sheep have already been recorded as wolf kills, thanks to the fish & Wildlife and wolf lovers bringing in and releasing this invasive species into California and also putting them on the Endangered Species listing, so no one injure or shoot any. No numbers or study that I know of being done, but I bet the deer and Elk (Elk were getting a foot hold back) in parts of the n.e. are more than likely being killed and the numbers will plummet. Nothing we can do about it, as you can't fight the ignorance in sacramento politics and the anti-hunters in the commissions. Bill K
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Bill...hate to say it but the two states directly north you are going down the same path as California; sad to say. darn shame. The wolfs should be caught and then released in Sacramento, right on the Capitol grounds, IM [not so] HO.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I agree. Any wolf lover and the officials that want them in the state, should have them in their own back yard, but you know they would not do that, yet they will turn them loose in ours and then tell us we can not harm or harass them when things go wrong or they are a danger. It is just a matter of time, before a child or someone is attacked or harmed by one or more, as has occurred after the state stopped the hunting and control of the cougar.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

We know a rancher not far from here who has lost FOUR calves to wolves this past season. He now finally has permission to kill the wolves that harass his herd. But it took a full year to get 'permission' to kill the predator(s). He estimates that he has lost potentially $12K to the darn things.

"Oh look Billy, there's a nice wolfie over there eating a young calf....isn't that nice?" Probable conversation from a millennial snowflake mommy to her young son from inside the car. :wall:

What's our 'world' going to be like when all these young fools are actually running our country? :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I an old enough Rick that I will more than likely not see how they are running it. But I would bet it will not be pretty, nor anything like the world we knew and loved. As for the wolves around here, ranchers have and are trying to get permits to take out one's found killing, but getting permission and the permit from the authorities is like finding humming bird teeth. Bill K
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

I'm probably a tad younger than you two and I'm not looking FWD to it either.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Here is a example of the wolves that are starting to take hold in my area. And already killing domestic cattle, some goats and I am sure plenty of deer and our elk. Bill K :)
KIMG0065.JPG
KIMG0065.JPG (965.25 KiB) Viewed 5613 times
And these are not the small grey wolves that were in the state back in the 20's. These are a large northern. So Fish & Wildlife are allowing and protecting a invasive species into the state. :mad: Bill K :)
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Try & trap them and then drop them off at The Presidio
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I wish we could, but they also have them listed on the Endangered Species Act, so you can not harass, injure or do anything to disrupt their movements or you can be arrested.
But it would be great to put a pack in the state capital grounds, and the back yard of everyone of the folks that want them in the state. Bill K :)