New bullet wishes

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
deltahunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

New bullet wishes

Post by deltahunter »

L
It seems one of the biggest problems/complaints with the 20 caliber bullet offerings is the lack of a tough bullet that will stabilize in a 1/12 twist. I read story after story about the bullets making splash wounds when hitting bones and not penetrating. The heavier 40 grain bullets typically won’t stabilize in the factory 1/12 twist barrels. The 45 grain Hornady didn’t have a good BC and it’s also been discontinued. The 35 grain Berger seems to do good, but the BC is lacking. So here’s my suggestion... what if Sierra made a 20 caliber game king design like the 22 caliber #1365!! Maybe in a 35 grain?? Or if Nosler made an Accubond in a 32-35 grain?? Anyone on here got strong connections with Sierra or Nosler?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: New bullet wishes

Post by Bill K »

I believe all we could do is send Hornady, Sierra or others requests asking them to consider a bullet in the 35-40 grain area for a bullet i.e. GMX or such for heavier penetration.
In the meantime, have you tried the 39 grain Sierra BK. It works very well in most 20 caliber 1/12 twist barrels and does a good job on penetration of critters. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I feel your pain.

I spent over an hour in John Nosler's (Jr.) office expounding the virtues of the .20's, and tried to get them to legitimize the 20VT, as they already make .20 cal bullets and brass for the 204. It appears unless it's intended for big game, they're not too interested, and I've been hounding them now for over five years.

Every time he sees me now, he tries to avoid me, 'cause he knows I'm still on the 'twenty caliber bandwagon'. Don't get your hopes up. :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

deltahunter

Post by deltahunter »

Rick, It sounds like you know him pretty well. Keep hounding him!! We need someone with an inside to Sierra also. Stay on them until they produce something a little heavier constructed
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Have you considered Lehigh Controlled Chaos bullets?
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

There is one source. I have used them in both 17 & 20 cal. Not a bad bullet overall. Bill K :)
micoyotehunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by micoyotehunter »

Bill K wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:20 pm There is one source. I have used them in both 17 & 20 cal. Not a bad bullet overall. Bill K :)
Do tell Bill!

If I am not mistaken, Unmissig 38's are a bit tougher than most factory offerings.?
I am not online as often as some – a PM trigger’s my only notification.
UTcaller
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by UTcaller »

I’m assuming you are talking about a bullet for Coyotes.. From my experience with the .204 Ruger (15 years) and 3 different Rifles, the 35 grain Berger is the best I’ve used for a consistent Coyote Killer and being easiest on Fur. Despite its low B.C... I have tried most of the .204 bullets over the years in search for the perfect Coyote bullet and every time I come back to the 35 grain Berger. I also have determined that the limit with this Cartridge/bullet Combo is 300 yards......That’s why I’m not concerned with B.C anymore. I am running them at almost 3900 fps out of a CZ527 20” Suppressed barrel....So I have stopped looking and have just enjoyed the killing these bullets do.....

Good Hunting Chad
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Sierra just brought out a 36 grain, .20 cal. Blitzking; the BC is higher than the 35 gr. Berger, I believe,
FWIW: I've noticed more complaints about 40 gr. V-Maxes splashing than 39 SBKs. Also, most 1:12" twist barrels will stabilize the latter (each of my three .204s in that twist rate shoot them great.)
Just checked, and it looks like the 36 gr. Sierra is only available in that brand’s loaded ammo for now. .255 BC.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Finally a BK in 20 cal from Sierra. This must be the same bullet they made for James Calhoon maybe for his 19 cal and now a 20 caliber. So now we have a 36 grain in 20 and the 19 for small caliber shooters. Great.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I'm still, and always will be, a big fan of the 35 gr. Berger. That bullet will do just what you ask it to do. Coyotes, tight groups, etc., etc.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
deltahunter

Post by deltahunter »

I’m guessing the new 36 grain will have the same construction as the 32 and 39 grain offerings since they’re all in the BlitzKing line. I was hoping for a new bullet more along the gameking line. Something a little tougher for more penetration.