40gr vmax without btip

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
000shock
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 lam varminter

40gr vmax without btip

Post by 000shock »

So ive read a ton on 204R forum before getting both of my 204’s but this is my first post here! Thanks for all the help thus far!

Anyways, my howa 1500 laminate varminter shoots Factory 32 gr vmax like a champ (7/16”@100 yards). I tried the 40’s and opened up to a 2”+ group with a couple even key-holing. Ive read a little but all the posts i found were older and not 204 specific so i thot i would ask your opinions. If i were to remove the btip from the 40’s, making them shorter and easier (in theory i guess) to stabilize, do you think it would be successful? Im thinking it would essentially make them a hollow point. I realize i would lose some bc, but i still think in our nodak winds it would buck wind a bit better than the 32’s. I plan on trying when i can get out to the range again anyways, but just figured id ask for any experiences before hand. Thanks again everyone!

Oh, i also use this rig primarily for prairie dogs but some coyote stands also. Topped with an athlon argos 8-34x56 moa.
jimreed1948
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: 40gr vmax without btip

Post by jimreed1948 »

If you reload, try the 39 gr or 36 gr bullets. Removing the ballistic tip will not help. You didn't mention what twist you have, but my guess is a 12 twist. If you had a faster twist barrel it would stabilize the 40's a lot better.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Removing the tip has no effect on the contact length of the bullet. Bearing surface is the same on the bullet body.
Many of the 204R just seem to not shoot the 40 grain bullet, but will the 39 grain ones in a rifle with a 1/14 or 1/12 twist. Stick to the 39 grain and see how they group.
Then if you do anything, re-barrel with a 1/11 twist and solve your issues. Bill K :)
000shock
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 lam varminter

Post by 000shock »

Yep, my fault for not including that info. I do have a factory 1:12 twist. Im also not reloading yet. I would love to scrounge up some factory federal 39 sbk’s to try but im assuming they were discontinued. I also want to try the hsm 35gr bergers. Soon as i do start reloading, those are the first roads im taking.

What ive read has lead me to think that overall length of the bullet effected stability, but it is bearing surface instead? I know common misconception is weight and that is not correct. Thats why i was thinking removing the tip might help just enough. Ah well. Prob will still try for the heck of it, but wont have high hopes. Thanks guys!
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

The very tip of a traveling bullet doesn't make contact with the barrel at all. At the front of the bullet, somewhere around the ogive, the actual contact with the lands and grooves begins. Somewhere towards the end, depending on what type of tail, flat base or boat-tail, the actual contact surface ends. That's the bearing surface. Varies from profile to profile.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

HSM loads the 39gr SBK in 204 Ruger, so you might want to try that load now until you get set up for reloading.

And if you really want to shoot 40gr bullets, I suggest rebarreling to an 11-twist as has been mentioned....worked for me very well. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails