G'Day from Australia

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
shanebroomy
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Dimension 22 Inch Barrel

G'Day from Australia

Post by shanebroomy »

G'Day all,
I have just joined this forum to do some research, I am a big fan of T/C arms Dimension, and have that rifle in 204 Ruger that I haven't shot yet. I am going to want to look at this rifle, as a base, and what would make up the perfect longer range rifle, for developing my shooting skills to a longer range, and taking out rabbits & wallabies (Small Kangaroos) when hunting.

I live in Tasmania, the bottom most state of Australia, and the island on the bottom right of the country. I am looking at what might make a perfect rifle for long range shooting, I am going to purchase a second Thompson Dimension to do this with as I think that the interchangeable barrel system is pretty cool, and I can get extra barrels without asking permission, where to get another rifle I need police permission.

I am going to be scouring the forums to get a basic idea of the 204, what it can do and then planning on using that to ask, hopefully some intelligent questions.

I am planning on getting a custom barrel made, and 204 Ruger is a good contender for this, but I need to learn about what barrel lengths, and twists are available for this, what would be too tight a twist for the average factory ammunition and the projectiles I have.

I have 100 of each of the following ammunition, to see what the rifle prefers.
Federal Premimum 32 Grain Nosler Balistic Tip
Hornady 32GR Vmax

The projectiles I have are to play around with load development when I start shooting it are,
Nosler 5211 .204 40GR Spitzer
Nosler 48963 .204 34GR FBHP
Sierra 1039 .204 39GR Blitzking

Most of my shooting has been with 303 rifles and their derivatives, such as the 303-270, which is the 303 cartridge necked down to take the 270 projectile, as well as 308 & 223. I'm tossing up with a custom barrel in either 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm08 for longer range shooting out to 1000 metres when I am capable of this, but am toying with also getting a custom barrel in 204 Ruger for out to 500 metres or how far it will go. I am impressed with the 204, and like that its nicer on barrels than lets say the 22-250, which would probably be overkill for what I want to shoot for its meat and skin.

I don't want to ask questions that have been asked many many times before, just wanted to say G'day and give you an idea of what I am doing here.

I hope that you all have a great weekend, and I look forward to learning from the posts and people on this forum.

If there are any must read forum posts or articles I would greatly appreciate links to them. Comments welcome as is banter.

Cheers

ShaneBroomy

Pic is of my Dimension
Dimension.jpg
Dimension.jpg (3.77 MiB) Viewed 6069 times
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: G'Day from Australia

Post by skipper »

Welcome to the 204um. There is a wealth of knowledge about the 204 Ruger and many other small caliber rifles. As I can see, you know how to post pictures. That's a plus around here! There are quite a few members from Australia here so they might be able to give advice on what to buy and where.

Upcoming events:
Annual 204 Ruger 5 Shot Postal Challenge (end of May)
Many of our members will be hitting the rat fields very soon. Reading their adventures is exciting.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

First and foremost, WELCOME. As Skipper said many members here are from Az & Nz, so they will chime in and assist you I am sure.
About the best twist is a 1/11 for the 20 calibers and the bullets you have and mention are usually great. I personally would stick with the 39 grain BK, drop the 40 grain and add a 32 grain Nosler or BK. The 34 gr FBHP you have are good bullets for bulk shooting and work well on various critters. Don't know, from what some your way say, powder you have available compared to us in the USA, but CFE 223, Exterminator are two very good powders for the 204 and other 20 calibers. But there are a few others that work well also, when you work up a load for your given rifle, and see what it likes best. Looking forward to your progress and Photo's we do love photo's And also as Skipper said, watch for notice posted here and enter the five on a dime shoot, he puts on each spring. Lot's of fun and no cost to enter, other than postage.. Bill K
hoppy
.204 Ruger Guns: sako varmint

Post by hoppy »

Hi Shane - fellow Aus member from Adelaide hills south of Adelaide - I have a Sako VLS in 204 with Zeiss scope which I now use for foxes/hares and Kangaroo destruction under permit - it is now permissable to use a 204 under the COP for macropods in SA. This is a great calibre/cartridge and one shot kills are the norm as it should be. I have my scope set as low as possible so that the relatively flat trajectory ensures that there is little change in vertical
difference between line of sight and bullet flight path out to 250 m - I use a load of sierraBK 39gn over 26.8 gn of 2206H with a rem 7.5 primer which groups really well and performs well on game
Had a go at the 5 shot comp last year but rushed it a bit - looking forward to another go this year
Welcome aboard

cheers

Hoppy
shanebroomy
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Dimension 22 Inch Barrel

Post by shanebroomy »

Thanks All,

Just had the weekend off, now back on nights, time to start reading.

Cheers

ShaneBroomy