Question for Rick or others with a Bench Rest Lite

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
SecretCode
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 vlp .204

Question for Rick or others with a Bench Rest Lite

Post by SecretCode »

I would like if you would be able to give me the dimensions to your original bench top. I was able to pick up a floor demo model of the stable table for half price. Cant justify the bench rest right now. But I swear I'll sell my left kidney if one of your originals came up for sale near me.
First thing to do is take off the plastic picnic table top and replace it with some counter top material I've been hoarding for a couple of years. Buddy is former framing carpenter and has all the nice tools to help with the top. Toying with the idea of Routing a channel around the inner edge of the top surface to help with small rolling items mainly loose cases. Thoughts?

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Question for Rick or others with a Bench Rest Lite

Post by Bill K »

PM me a email address and I can send you a copy of the measurements and top we made to go onto the top of a swivel frame, for our field shooting at ground squirrels. I just never can seem to figure out how to post photo on this site. Bill K :) (Or better yet email me at mine Kbill1@frontiernet.net and I can email the copy back too you)
SecretCode

Post by SecretCode »

Email sent Bill. Thanks
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

SecretCode wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:35 pm Email sent Bill. Thanks
Sent you back the info.. Hope it can help you. Bill K :)
SecretCode

Post by SecretCode »

Yep. Thanks Bill. Scribbled out a couple quick mockups.

Obviously cutting off the side with the hole. Seafoam can made for some nice radius'.
Attachments
20200410_155255.jpg
20200410_155255.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 3214 times
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Yes.. We actually did some mod's on ours, smoother edges and corners with router. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'm a bit late for the party, but if you don't get all you need from our friend Bill K., let me know and I'll try to fill in the blanks. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode »

Thanks Rick. Pretty sure I've got it. Will cut it long first and then go from there.

Actually just out of curiosity, is the mounting bracket for the top the same between models? I remember seeing the post from when you received the production models after your buyers started producing them.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SecretCode wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:49 pmActually just out of curiosity, is the mounting bracket for the top the same between models? I remember seeing the post from when you received the production models after your buyers started producing them.
The original BR Pivot and BR Pivot Lite both employed the same post-to-bench top bracket, made of cast aluminum. If you are referring to the Caldwell version of the BRP, it does not use the same bracket as their Stable Table, which is just an el cheapo version of the BRP. I do not believe the Caldwell BRP bracket will work on the Stable Table, or the reverse application.

My buddy Dan on his BRP on a recent rat shooting trip. The bracket in question can be seen in the pic. It's fairly obvious the two are not interchangeable. (Ever do 900+ yard rat shooting with a .338 Lapua Mag? :wink: )

There is no Caldwell Lite (alloy) version, as the ChiCom's are apparently not capable of producing porosity-free alloy castings. The original castings were all done by a Boeing Aircraft casting supplier here, hence the very high quality of the originals. Another reason to Buy American.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Now there is a long range ground squirrel outfit, for sure Rick. :eek: Bill K :)
SecretCode

Post by SecretCode »

Well the time table to get this done was set back a few days but I was finally able to get the top cut and mounted up. I'll probably need to paint the edges, but they have been cleaned up with the router like I was planning on.
Red seems to approve, so if no one else likes it, well I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Dont knock the front rest. All I have right now.
I do have a number 1 owl ear to go with the rear bag but need to order a number 2 per the email to the fine folks at portecktor. This one for my savage model 12 vlp in the pic.

These bags will be mounted on a front rest I have in the works. Wont be done for alittle while.
Attachments
20200425_141405.jpg
20200425_141405.jpg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 3048 times
20200425_155732.jpg
20200425_155732.jpg (3.42 MiB) Viewed 3048 times
20200425_155738.jpg
20200425_155738.jpg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 3048 times
20200425_155726.jpg
20200425_155726.jpg (4.23 MiB) Viewed 3048 times
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

If you like it and it works for you, then it is just fine. I know as I worked with the top I had first made, with plans that a shooting buddy gave me, he and I both seem to re-design and I know I did change a couple times, with slight improvements to the top for fit and comfort. You may do the same. Time will tell. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SC: Good job there, buddy. That's a vast improvement over the weebly* bench top Caldwell uses on the Stable Table.

(* a word my wife dreamed up: weak/puny)

Now your bench will have the room on the bench area like it should have had in the first place, and will be a much more enjoyable part of your rifle/varmint shooting experience. Be sure to post some field pics when you're able to get out doing what we all love doing the most! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode »

On the way back home from working on getting the top cut I took a stroll down a couple prairie two track and plain dirt roads where I've picked off plenty of gophers in the past.
The spots didn't disappoint. In a quick couple mile cruise got 2 missed 3. Talk about getting buck fever for rodents. :wall: Way to excited seeing them out and about for really the first time in numbers this spring. I'd like to blame the wind. But the 17hmr is better than that. Was a bit breezy but it was all me. But finally getting nice weather and out on some fresh air is awesome. Spring is finally here.
Attachments
20200424_154450.jpg
20200424_154450.jpg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 3028 times