carbon ring

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
crittergetter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

carbon ring

Post by crittergetter »

stupid me but what causes a carbon ring and how do you get rid of it?
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Re: carbon ring

Post by jpx2rk »

Carbon ring forms just past the neck of the brass case at the start of the barrel/end of chamber, and is caused by the burning of gunpowder when a cartridge is fired. The hot gases then just burn/cook any un-burned carbon residue onto the barrel. Looks like a black ring around the entire surface of the area. You will need to use a bore scope to verify you do indeed have one.

Go to accurateshooter dot come and search for carbon ring, you have a day or two of reading at a minimum on the various opinions of how to remove it. It's a trial and error type of process. Most depends on how long the carbon ring has been there. I'm still working on some of mine, what worked on one barrel does not work as well on another barrel IMO, which could be due to the different powder(s) used in the different guns. I've tried several of the methods posted, some have worked to a limited degree or not at all, so "it depends".

I work on my "rings" on these hot summer days or cold winter days when I can't find anything better to do than trim brass.
Master Piddler ;)
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

First time I experienced the dreaded carbon ring was back in 2006? I was cleaning my rifle and my wife called me to dinner. I left a patch soaked in bore cleaner jammed into the chamber. I was using a bore guide so the patch was essentially right where a carbon ring might develop. After dinner I withdrew the patch from the rifle to find that it was completely black. Further investigation revealed that there was a build up of carbon just past the chamber and into the lands and grooves.

After a generous amount of JB Bore Paste I was able to determine that I had dislodged the carbon ring. Funny thing is that the groups that were spreading out suddenly came back together. That carbon ring can ruin grouping in an otherwise fully-capable rifle.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

I saw where some guys were using seafoam with good results.
I did not refuse, but I sure dislike “scrubbing” barrels.
I am of the belief if you let a gun that has been fired numerous times set, without a pass with at least a couple of patchs of good solvent to keep the carbon some what soft you will have some problems.
Others with way more knowledge than I totally disagree with the thought. Yet I have zero issues with a carbon ring. Must be either my cleaning regiment or my shooting habits. Gun gets hot it gets a rest, I am not afraid to drag a bore snake through off and on through a shooting session.
crittergetter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by crittergetter »

I had no idea that a carbon ring existed. so when the issue came up I didn't know how to deal with it. the smith gave me some bore paste and said to pay extra attention to throat and the first 8 to 10 inches of the barrel, that is where my problem was at. it took 4hrs of patch work but it cleaned up and accuracy returned.
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Post by varget204 »

An easy way to tell if you have a carbon/copper ring at back of throat,a bore scope[Teslong ] 50 usd,or use an over size nylon brush w/ cleaner on it, Bore Teck,Butches, Etc,very short 1/2' strokes. the patches will be blueish or blackish grey.Normal cleaning will Not remove it,one can clean until patches show a clean barrel,Then use oversize brush and patches come out dirty.If you let it build up,it takes a lot of Elbow grease to remove it. Highly recommend a Teslong bore scope 49.99 usd,the flex shaft model works for .20 caliber, the rigid everything else,they take Awesome pictures
BackStabber
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 12 Savage and White Oak

Post by BackStabber »

I work at a big diesel shop and we use Techron to get rid of carbon. Makes removal a lot easier I have never tried it on a gun. Cant think of why it wouldn't work
publius
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by publius »

I have heard that Seafoam is essentially the same thing as Kroil. Have also heard that Techron is Seafoam . ???