Opinion on first .204.

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
publius
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Opinion on first .204.

Post by publius »

Thinking about finally breaking down and getting my first .204 and want opinions on what I'm thinking. Ruger American. Have heard great things and my gunsmith(very good) told me they are outshooting guns that cost twice as much. Vortex 6-24 Diamond back. ???
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Re: Opinion on first .204.

Post by jpx2rk »

Just make sure whatever brand you get it has a heavy/bull barrel on it unless you want issues associated with skinny barrels. IF it's gonna be a carry gun out in the field, I've read good things about the RAR Predator models but no 1st hand experience. If it's a gun for the bench, I've got a Cabelas FV12 in 204R, very accurate right out of the box.
Master Piddler ;)
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Depending on how much you want spend, you could look to a Cooper or check out the CZ 527 in either the American model or the heavier barreled Varmint. These shoot very nice and are built on a small version of the old Mauser actions. Another good maker is the Howa's. Try for a 1/11 twist barrel on any, if possible.
crazyyote
.204 Ruger Guns: ar15

Post by crazyyote »

CZ 527 or perhaps a Tikka. I own CZ's, they're extremely accurate. I've heard nothing but good things about the Tikka's as well Good luck
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

I have a Ruger American in .223. It's not a heavy barrel, super accurate and zero problems. I don't like the factory trigger so I put a Timney on it. I would definately recommend it. My .204 is a Rem. 700 SPS, sporter weight barrel and have absolutely no problems with it either. It is super accurate also. They cost a little more than the Ruger American though. If you are going to be walking and shooting varmints you won't want a heavy barrel, been there done that. My .223 has a Bushnell Legend 3-9x and the .204 has a Weaver 3-9x. No problems with either one.