Carbon ring

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
kWm
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint

Carbon ring

Post by kWm »

Been a long time since iv been on here. Dont shoot and load like i used to, wife, work, and young kids ruin many a good shooter lol. Anyhow im working on cleaning bore on my cz 527 varmint. Iv provably gone too long between cleaning, we went through a move a yr ago, all my loading and cleaning stuff is still in a pile, not all organized yet. Guessin iv probably put 50 or 75 rds tru since last cleaning. Ran butchs a few rounds scrubbing with wet patch then dry in between. Few rounds of that til wet was staying clean. Then several dries. Went to sweets, 1 scrubbing with wet didnt produce any blue color, maybe a touch of black not much though. Then gone to rem 40x to see what carbon is in there. And after 10 15 strokes that sucker comes out BLACK. Iv ran that with a rem oil then a dry in between scrubbin with wet probably 10 rounds and still coming out black as ever. I know the 40x has an abrasive in it, am i going to do damage to keep scrubbing with that til it becomes less black?? I do have some jb compound, is that a better option? Thanks ahead of ti.e for any help, and sorry for the long read, just wanted to gice a good explanation what iv done and whats goin on.
kWm

Re: Carbon ring

Post by kWm »

Im running RL10X powder, if i remember i think.iv read that powder is known for carbon issues....
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

You might want to give it a couple soaks with Sharpshooters Foam Wrip out, then if that does not clean it out, some JB. :)
kWm

Post by kWm »

Thanks bill, i will try some foam n see what that does. I expected it to become less black after a few rpunds with the 40x, but after around 10-12 rounds its still coming out black as all get out....