Remove/Disable Ejector for Varmint rifles

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Remove/Disable Ejector for Varmint rifles

Post by dan97526 »

Most of my varmint shooting is done with Cooper single shots. I've been playing around with 1885 single shots which lack ejectors, and it occurred to me that I have little need for ejecting the casing for what I do. Has anyone found it beneficial to remove or disable the ejector on their varmint rifles?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Remove/Disable Ejector for Varmint rifles

Post by Bill K »

I have thought about doing it and just picking the round out of the magazine opening, rather than have it jump out and often miss the table and/or rol onto the ground. I like to place them into the ammo box, up for misses and down for hits ( mouth of case that is). :)
terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Post by terrace »

Great idea bill I’m gonna have to start doing this
triggerfingers
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper MTV 204 Ruger, Savage 12 LRPV 20 VT, Cooper MTV 6x45

Post by triggerfingers »

I have a Savage model 12 built in 20 VT that is right hand, left port that it set up without an ejector. I find it handy just to pick the casing out from the extractor and reload another round.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Removing the ejector can also reduce pressure damage on your brass by eliminating the ejector imprint from the base of the spent case. I regularly launch 35 Berger FBHPs at 4300 FPS and greater. Pressures are high. My Stolle Panda's bolt doesn't have an ejector.

I spend a lot of time getting cases prepped and ready for duty in the tight necked chamber. I really don't want my competition brass flung across the range apron and laying around for someone to step on or pick up. Plus, that brass has been specifically prepared and fire formed for that rifle. Not really suited for other rifles. Finished rounds are pretty much match ready.

Open bolt, retrieve spent case, put it in the caddy, insert new cartridge. It never touches anything other than the feeding ramp.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I use the same method as Skipper for single shooting from the bench.

Especially on M700's intended for bench use, I either remove the goofy plunger-type ejector or at least cut a few coils off the spring so it doesn't shoot the empty cases ten feet. If you have a rifle that employs the Mauser-type extractor/ejector, then no worries as you can just pick the case up out of the port. CZ and Kimber come to mind in that respect.

If it's a Remington I care about, then it gets that plunger ejector removed and a M16 or Sako extractor installed.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails