Choice of used 204

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
beanieboy
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Choice of used 204

Post by beanieboy »

I've given up waiting on a new Tikka T3X Stainless Lite. Ordered last September and advised that delivery mid year, at the very earliest. I'm therefore considering buying a used rifle and the choice is between (all in similar good condition):

Ruger Hawkeye Predator (one with laminate stock and stainless barrel)
CZ527 American (had the same rifle in 223)
Remington 700 (has stainless barrel, magazine conversion and what looks like a HS Precision stock)

Whilst familiar with CZ, I have never shot a 204 in any guise and am not familiar with the Ruger and Remington offerings listed above. I would therefore appreciate any advice regarding which of these rifles you'd steer me towards.

Many thanks for any help offered.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Choice of used 204

Post by Bill K »

I would go with either the CZ or the Rem. I like both brands, have them in various caliber/cartridges. :)
beanieboy

Post by beanieboy »

Must say the Ruger looks a quality rifle, but as I said, I've never had one. I'm leaning towards the Remington due to the quality stock and magazine conversion. It also comes with a Bushnell scope and an ASE JetZ moderator.
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

Forget others advise. Get the one you like. Everyone has their own likes, dislikes.
beanieboy

Post by beanieboy »

Alas I can't get my hands on either of these 3 offerings due to Covid lock-down here. Just interested to hear from folk who have used them, particularly the Remington and Ruger as I have never used either.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I have used each of those brands. Now however, with out slamming Ruger, just my choice, I have only one Ruger in the fold and it is a reworked 10-22. However I still have and use CZ's and Reminton 700's. They just seem to work better for me in various calibers.
I also like and have several Savage and Howa rifles, of which I like. In fact am now working on putting together a Howa mini in 22 PPC.
So I guess it boils down to what we each want and come to like. You will not go wrong with the Reminton and I think you would like a CZ (Varmint) 537 in the 204R. :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

As others have noted, it's purely a personal choice. But, since you asked.....

I'd go with either the CZ or M700. I have or have had bolt guns in all three brands, and from my experience, the Remington and the CZ will be the most accurate. No Ruger has ever been in the winners circle at any match I'm aware of, but Remington was the overwhelming choice for over 30 years in that regard in both benchrest and X-course matches. Plus these two are much easier to properly glass bed due to their design.

Not that it matters at all, but two of my most accurate (non-Cooper) rifles are a CZ American in 221FB and my M700 204R Match. The little CZ with it's 'sporter' weight barrel shoots like some HB rifles I've seen over the years, always in the .3's....not bad for such a skinny barreled rig.

Another plus for the two mentioned is the extensive aftermarket parts available, not so much for the Ruger. But in the end, it's you that will live with the choice. Choose wisely.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

beanieboy

Post by beanieboy »

Many thanks chaps. Appreciate your comments.
BackStabber
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 12 Savage and White Oak

Post by BackStabber »

I know you didnt mention Savage but you can get one of the model 12 .204 variants for less than $600 new if you look around add stock of your choice like the top of the line oryx for 400 that comes with the mag conversion and you would have a tack driver for around a $1000 Or get one of the long range guns new for $1500 I would also check the barrel twist do you want to shoot light or heavy bullets it will make a difference I was a Ruger fan until I started shooting at the range for fun I find the Savages to be very accurate for the money I also like the accu trigger but some dont
beanieboy

Post by beanieboy »

I actually own a Savage 17 WSM and am a fan of the Accutrigger. Very few dealers here in Ireland stock Savage rifles.....204's are like hens teeth!
BackStabber
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 12 Savage and White Oak

Post by BackStabber »

beanieboy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:43 pm I actually own a Savage 17 WSM and am a fan of the Accutrigger. Very few dealers here in Ireland stock Savage rifles.....204's are like hens teeth!
Its simple Fly in to the states find what you are looking for fly back home. All bullshit aside there is nothing on the gun or ammo shelves here either