New stock

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
gundogblue
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FV

New stock

Post by gundogblue »

I have a Savage 12 FV in 204 Ruger, it has the regular factory Savage stock on it. The rifle shoots great the picture attached is the best 100 yrd target I ever shot with any rifle. I don’t think I can improve the rifles shooting capability, or mine with a new stock, but I’d like to get a better looking stock, but I also don’t want to get a stock that will keep the rifle from performing as well as it already does any suggestions?
Thanks.
Paul
Attachments
50F0C905-826A-47D0-BD8E-08C95CBD22C9.jpeg
50F0C905-826A-47D0-BD8E-08C95CBD22C9.jpeg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 4556 times
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: New stock

Post by Bill K »

Paul: Check our one of the Boyd's stocks, laminated ones, or even one of the other stocks, along that order.
Boyd's usually allow the actions to just drop in, as they do a pretty darn good job of inletting for the action/reciever/rifle you order in.

I believe they actually do help a rifle fit and shoot better and they many choices in colors that are nice looking. :)
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

See how much a gunsmith would charge to pillar bed that new stock. That would probably close that group up even more, with the proper hand loads of course.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
BackStabber
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 12 Savage and White Oak

Post by BackStabber »

I have 2 12 FV and a 12 low pro. .204 .223 and .243 The issue with the FV is the internal mag and the the very light flimsy stock. I switched stocks around and the Boyd's stocks are good just make sure you pick the right one. If I was doing Boyd's I would go with the Savage shooters ramp and make a single shot out of it, I think its much better than the internal mag. Eabco https://www.eabco.net/Laminated-Thumbho ... 13974.html has a stock that you can add their plastic bottom to and then you can use external mag that one is really nice. Or you can go with the Oryx or MDT which comes with the adapter that converts the mags to AICS. If you are bench shooting off bags for varmints the heavier the stock the better and with the heavy .204 stock you can see every thing explode, almost zero perceived kick. I also have a Choate sniper stock currently with the SSS ramp it makes my shooting better but is just too bulky and ugly for my taste. When you do decide to switch make sure you do your research and get the right thing. The model 12 FV is the best bang for your buck when it comes to off the shelf accuracy gotta love it. Good Luck
BackStabber

Post by BackStabber »

Three guns I was talking about
Attachments
IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG (3.84 MiB) Viewed 4292 times
BackStabber

Post by BackStabber »

Close up of the sled from Sharp Shooters Supply
Attachments
IMG_1088.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG (4.03 MiB) Viewed 4292 times
BackStabber

Post by BackStabber »

This is the 12 FV .204 with a detachable single shot sled and a custom 10 round mag. That's why I love Savage so many different things you can do. This stock came from a Low Pro that I moved to a custom stock that I had made
Attachments
IMG_1090.JPG
IMG_1090.JPG (3.88 MiB) Viewed 4292 times
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

I was able to find some Savage BVSS stocks for sale on other forums and the FV12 fits like a glove into them. Very stable for bench work, helps with the balance a bit, but still muzzle heavy IMO.
Master Piddler ;)
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

I am a Choate fan for prairie dog work. You didn’t mention what your use would be.
There are several differ t designs and styles for the savage. I have three different ones. The two I prefer both have a full stock rather than a skeleton. I fill the butt and the grip with #9 shot. I added lead up front as well on my 17 Remington and 204. The 17 weighs right around 40 pounds and the 204 goes into the 30’s. Silly to some but allows me to see my hits/misses.

To tighten your group up some with out doing anything, crank some elevation or windage into that scope!
Always amazes me when folks shoot for group they just blow away their point of aim. Your point of aim goes away or gets bigger your just guessing where to hold.
Jeff