Future of the forum

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Curramore
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Standard and Varmint models.

Re: Future of the forum

Post by Curramore »

I don't frequent this forum, or many other forums very often, but must show appreciation to all of those who, to date have kept it safe and humming along. The main trends, as I see them here in Australia result from a distinct lack of components, particularly projectiles. Brass is becoming more difficult to source in quantity as well. We have plenty of powder. The Sierra 39 grain Blitzking was the gold standard for me, but is unobtanium. The Hornady 40-grain V-max is still around in adequate numbers for now. Berger bullets have been gone for 12 months or so. I have a few Remington Accutip-V remaining from 5 years back. The calibre(yes, Aussie spelling) will fast disappear here if no more come to the fore. Supply the projectiles and they will return to favour. I used 2000 rounds in 2022, but 4000 in 2021 and back to .223 rem because of component drought. How are you faring in your countries??
Only shoot them once.....
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Presently I am not shooting as much, due to medical issues with the wife's Parkensons.
But with that said, I still get out some and having stocked ahead on supplies, I can shoot my 17,20, 224's just fine. ALso have enough of the larger caliber bullet for my other hunting rifles and handguns.
I also put aside a good supply of the non-lead bullets I need for game/non-game hunting in my commie state of Kalifornia also. So overall I as set and will not have to go without, for a good period of time. Hope others can fare aw well. :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

So then, how about we get a poll going for renaming this forum to something 'small caliber-ish' and see what suggestions we receive? I know that I look here daily for new posts, get a bit discouraged when I see nothing posted.

I've considered posting old rock chuck and rat shooting pics to stir it up, as we all like pics, but with such low number of visits from others, it seemed like a lost cause as lack of interest is not a motivator.

So Tarrin, if you make up a poll for renaming, let's see how it goes and go from there. Including ALL small calibers would surely get more interest than we're getting right now. Names with 'varmint', 'small caliber' and the like would steer interested shooters here instead of just a single caliber. How's about it? :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I am with you on that, I also check daily and have noticed a real decline in posts over the last few months. We need something to stir the old site back up, for sure. :D
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

I check in just to see it its still alive
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:56 amI check in just to see it its still alive
Tom, we're trying to keep it alive, and hopefully with a new name, it will survive.

Got to say I love your byline re: dogs. I'm thinking many of us feel that exact same way.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Totally agree Tom also, with dog statement. Especially now days with the politicians and fruitcakes running around and in control of so many things and on a full course to ram so much crazy stuff down our throats. :)
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I've been trying to contact Tarrin without much success. He had already gotten a lot of positive comments about the future of this forum earlier this year. Personally, I thought changing the name was a done deal. Let's give him time to respond. If he doesn't I could probably create a Small Caliber Forum on this site. Not the best solution, but there's only so much I can do.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Sounds like a plan Skipper. I sure hope something can gel as this forum was a good one and active earlier. Now it is just about dead, with very little posting for weeks at a time, it seems. I guess we must just be patient. :)
Shaky Hands
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Hawkeye Predator

Post by Shaky Hands »

Tom Kat wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:49 am All of that is true. But there needs to be an active push to recruit new members. Who shoots these small calibers? Mostly guys our age. We need some young bloods in here, they are all in love with the 6.5 creedmore
Tom
I have no idea the average age group for the 204 but I just bought one and so far I am enjoying it a lot and I'm in my mid 50's. Yes you are also right the 6.5 seems to be the one we the younger generation like the most at this time (its my favorite) I hope the 204 shoots as well as my 6.5. Now that warmer weather is hear I plan on finding out.

All
I have been a member of this forum for a few months and have interacted with several. What impressed me the most is everyone is helpful and seems sincere. Its hard to get folks motivated once they learn the ins and out of a new caliber. Once you figure out your favorite pet load you stop trying every bullet you can find. I personally enjoy reading about different calibers and different load outcomes that others try and think if you opened it up to all 20 caliber you may get more folks to interact. I have already learned there are calibers called 20 BR and 20 Vartag and 20 practical and I am curious about them, probably never own one but who knows what tomorrow brings haha. I hope this forum stays alive and active I enjoy reading new content. If we keep it civil and encourage folks to speak up it might be around for a long time.
MTPaul
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by MTPaul »

Fellow Members of this forum: I have benefited from the tremendous and willingly shared collective wisdom gained over their many years found within the pages of this forum and I too would like to see it continue into the future. There is merit in preserving this database of knowledge. If renaming this forum is in the cards and it is a name that garners improved traffic (clicks or whatever other measure), then I am all for it! All too often I have witnessed a decline in courtesy and respect in other unnamed forums - something that has not taken place here and this is one of the reasons I keep coming back.

My sincere thanks to those who put in the work of first establishing this forum and to those who tirelessly devote their time and energy to keep it going - no doubt a thankless endeavor but well appreciated by many of us who log on regularly. I see the benefit of casting a broader net beyond just the 204R to include other "small calibers" (a definition we need to define). While the small caliber inventory of my gun safe only contain calibers from 17 Hornet, 204R, various 22LR, and 223, I am open to the idea of exploring others and I know a significant knowledge base exists on this forum to help provide guidance those who are looking to expand their inventory.

I'll do my level best to help keep this forum going.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

MTPaul: I believe 99% of the members on this forum would feel and agree with your comments.
As for exploring other cartridges, you should really add a 20 VT in to fit so nicely between the Hornet and the 204R. It is one fine shooting cartridge and you would fully enjoy it also. :)