Just getting my target scope on paper

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Just getting my target scope on paper

Post by Tom Kat »

Last night was very nice weather for shooting. I only had a few rounds left over from barrel break in. I got a new laser bore sighter and wanted to try it out. Over all I like it and glad I spent the money. I think I am ready to start proper load development now. Rifle is a Ruger American Predator in a Magpul stock...in .204 Ruger, ofcourse!
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Just getting my target scope on paper

Post by skipper »

Looking good!
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

What is everyone using for 32 gr Vmax ? This was with 27 gr of Benchmark
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I always had good results using Reloader 10X, CCI BR4 primers, and Winchester brass.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I use mostly the Nosler L.F. ballistic tip with CFE223 and it shoots fine. Do keep us posted on your progress and findings with your rifle. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:51 amWhat is everyone using for 32 gr Vmax ? This was with 27 gr of Benchmark
One thing I like about the 204 is it responds well to beaucoup available powders with about any 32gr bullet. I save the 39gr SBK and the 40's for my fast twist 204 Ruger Match barrel, but here's a target shot during load development a while back. I don't shoot much paper except for working up a load or confirming zero, most all my shooting is at hair.

That load works well in all four of my 204 rifles, with only seating depth differences for each chamber throat.
My Cooper MTV 204 12 twist responsible for the above target in the field doing what she does best.....launching alfalfa-munching ground squirrels to heights they never imagined.....

V-Max, NBT, NVG shoot very well, but the best 32gr performer in every .20 caliber rifle I own is hands down the 32gr SBK, but it's now just too dang expensive to shoot grass rats with, but accurate? Oh yeah! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Great pictures and advice, I had a half box of there laying around and thought it would be a good choice for break in. The factory trigger is...OK, I may change the spring in it and loose a lb of pull. Depends on how the rest of it works out.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick I love Sierra bullets, I have killed a pile of coyotes with the 52 gr Matchking that is not recomended for hunting.

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:49 pmRick I love Sierra bullets, I have killed a pile of coyotes with the 52 gr Matchking that is not recomended for hunting.
I'm not sure why Sierra bullets are so much more expensive than say, Nosler BT's or Varmageddon's (NVG), as they're all made the same way on almost the same machines (I've toured both plants).

Even though the SBK's seem to hold the accuracy edge in most rifles of mine, the Nosler's are less expensive, more readily available, and shoot better than most of us can hold using a quality rifle.

As an example of the Nosler BT and VG in .20 caliber, I offer a target shot with my Cooper 20VT using both bullet styles for comparison:

Keep in mind, that target was shot with Nosler seconds in both versions. Not bad for blems I'd say.
So if for any reason you run out of, or want to try another brand, the above should give you something to consider with that new smokepole you're getting ready.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I have used and still use NBT bullets. They work great on coyotes. I have no doubt they would be great in a .204, your pictures are impressive.

When I bought my first .204, the owner gave me hundreds of 20 cal bullets, most were Vmax, some Bergers, and a few Sierra bullets. I am not against using NBT's as your pictures show they are great bullets. Having lived many years in Missouri, I am a little partial to Sierra. But I am going to use what ever the new gun likes, regardless of brand. At this point I am just shooting what I have laying around, hoping I find one that works. Time will tell-

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I was able to load up 15 more 32 gr HVmax with Benchmark, will give it a go this weekend-

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

UPDATE: I changed the factory trigger spring today for one from MCARBO. I makes it feel about 2 lbs now...it was an easy, 5 minute upgrade.

John Maynard Keynes