Load developmenbt progress

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Load developmenbt progress

Post by Tom Kat »

The new rifle seems to like 35 Gr Berger bullets[/attachment]
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Re: Load developmenbt progress

Post by Tom Kat »

Using 28 gr 8208XBR powder.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Looks like you have a winner.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Grouping like that should do the trick. Now work up a dial chart and start hitting way out there. :D
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I always had this target scope on here with the intention of putting a hunting scope on the gun. In fact, its sitting new in the box waiting for load developement to be finished, and I think I am there....

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Unless you really want to change the scope, I think I would leave things just as they are for a while. The present set up seems to be just fine. :)
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

So the next challenge, find some Berger 35 gr bullets. As luck would have it, both of my .204 rifles like the same load. A good problem to have, as I am stocked up with 8208XBR.

Where do you guys get your Berger bullets? They seem to be scarce these days...

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Bill K wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:55 pm Grouping like that should do the trick. Now work up a dial chart and start hitting way out there. :D
My FFL dealer has a 300 and a 600 yard range, he said I should bring that rifle and load over there to try it out. I think I will come warmer weather

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Sound great. Keep us posted on those results when you do it. :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Nice there Tom. :wtg:

Now if you and your rifle can do that on a consistent basis, I'd say you've 'found the load' for that rifle. That is especially if you can get them all into one cluster with no 'strays' just outside the group. I know it's a hunting rifle, not a target rifle, but you're almost there in terms of decent grouping, but certainly good enough now to get hits out past 300.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Just a word of warning about the dreaded carbon ring that can develop just past your chamber throat. It's common with the 204 Ruger. It's hard as rock and can cause all sorts of problems in terms of accuracy. From the breech, shove a patch soaked in bore cleaner just past the chamber till it's in firm contact with the lands and grooves. Let it sit there for a couple of hours. If it comes out black, that's a good indication you may need to do some serious scrubbing with JB Bore Paste to get it out. Good luck!
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

skipper wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:26 pm Just a word of warning about the dreaded carbon ring that can develop just past your chamber throat. It's common with the 204 Ruger. It's hard as rock and can cause all sorts of problems in terms of accuracy. From the breech, shove a patch soaked in bore cleaner just past the chamber till it's in firm contact with the lands and grooves. Let it sit there for a couple of hours. If it comes out black, that's a good indication you may need to do some serious scrubbing with JB Bore Paste to get it out. Good luck!
I have done a good job of scrub and shoot on this gun. I have my own new barrel break in process that includes boiling water down the bore on day one before the first shot is fired.

As for solvents- off the top of my head I have JB Bore paster, Sweets 5.56, Hoppes #9, CLP, and another one I cant remember right now. Normally I use Hoppes #9 because I have a lifetime supply of it. Are any of those a good idea Skipper? I will keep an eye out for that....

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick it seems to be consistent so far, I will keep shooting and watch my results. Would you move the OCL a bit and see what it does? Change the powder in a ladder test manner? I was pretty happy to get this to group twice in a row...totally open to suggestions.

I really do think I am on to something, I have put a lot of work, money, and labor into this gun to arrive at his point.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I looked all over the web today for more 35 Gr Berger bullets...with no luck. I have at least 120 of them so I will keep my eyes peeled.

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I think Hoppes #9 is good enough. I'm also a fan of Butches Bore Shine and Kroil. I first found out about the carbon ring years ago while cleaning my Rem XR 100. Wife called me in for dinner when I had just started a patch through the chamber so I just left the rod in the guide while I ate. Thing was that I was getting clean patches before I went inside. It took me by surprise when I came back and found the patch had turned black. That lead to some intense cleaning with JB. I always had fliers with that gun till I got the carbon ring completely out. Didn't have a bore scope back then.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em