New barrel

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: New barrel

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:14 am Jim, P/N going strong again. Both Chris and Casey are hard at it, and with the new building, doing well once again. Glad, as they are my go-to outfit for barrels and action work.

For your FL trip and hogs, what weapon will you use for that there? Got a guide, or going with friends? You know we'll need after-action pics here of the adventure......
I was invited by a friend who I served with on my last tour onboard USS Florida. He lives there and we decided I'd make a trip when it's cooler vice in the summertime where it can get humid in the interior of the state. It' will be him and myself on private property.

As far the weapon, I'm using one of his. He has a wide range of types and calibers and I believe he said I'd be using a 6.8 SPC or something like that. For a side arm I'm requesting either his G20 or S&W Model 29, just in case. I don't plan on using it but I'd rather have it and not-need-it, rather than needing it and not-having-it. Also, using his tools saves me the hassle of checking them on a plane, especially with connecting flights and besides, it's just one less thing I need to concern myself with.

I'm relieved to hear P/N is up and running again. When I lay down the sword sometime this year, I'm planning on ordering a couple of barrels in 204 [1-11 twist] for my R700's and drive down there and drop them off, pay them and drive back to get them when they're done, if that's still allowed. With the anti-gun people ruining the west coast states it seems getting them sent back via a dealer could be delays and $$$ out of my pocket, presuming that scenario would comply with Oregon's rules as well.

I would opt for 1-11 vice 1-10 to stabilize the 40 grain pills better than my factory 1-12. My factory barrels shoot 39 SBK very well but I don't see them laying around like I once did, or much of anything in 20 caliber at all. It's true I have my fair share for now but I like to replenish too. My 204's uses 39 SBK exclusively and would like to make sure I can use the 40 gr too. My CZ 527 in 204 will shoot 40 GR Hornady pills quite well but I don't know about the Nosler 40 gr I have. I use 32 gr exclusively in my 20 VT.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sounds like a pretty cool plan there, Jim. And 'yes', P/N still is good to go IRT dropping off your rifle, have them do the work and pick it up personally to save the hassle and cost of shipping. Good choice going with the 11T in the 204 also.

If you really want to have fun in hog heaven, leave those rifles in the truck and go at it with your pistols. Some of the most fun and excitement I've ever had (the 'good' kind) was with my .44's in the bush chasing those hogs. We used to call it "fun in the mud, blood and beer".

Hope you have a great time of it, and remember, no pics......didn't happen. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Better yet, do as I did last tiem on hogs.. Recurve and arrows. Now that was a fun hunt and got a couple, hams, sausage and ground pork. :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:52 pmBetter yet, do as I did last tiem on hogs.. Recurve and arrows. Now that was a fun hunt and got a couple, hams, sausage and ground pork. :D
Well Bill, not trying to do a "one up" on you, but in my foolish youth when in my mid-20's, we started hog hunting with rifles. That soon morphed to handguns, usually our .357's and .44 Mags. One night our buddy who had all the dogs, said no more handguns, as two of his dogs got nipped by careless shots from the crew in the past. He opened his Drover coat to reveal six old WWI bayonets in the lining. That was the new weapon if we wanted to hunt hogs over his hounds.

I won't relate any stories here, too many to list, but at night in the pouring rain, mud, chasing the sound of the baying hounds that were on a hog, then when getting to where the dogs had the hog down by an ear, snout, or his butt, jumping on the twisting, thrashing hog and sticking him through the heart with a 18" bayonet is "fun" you can't imagine. I've still got scars on my left forearm from hog tusks, it was that much "fun". Those old Russian Razorback hogs have tusks longer than 3" - 4"!

Now life is much more sedate for me, thankfully, as "fun" like that can't last too long without serious injuries, and I've got enough of those from other adventures to last me the rest of my days. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

For hog hunting I use my Winchester chambered in 375 H&H magnum and carry the ole Desert Eagle 50 AE for backup. I bought that 375 back when I was going to Kodiak Island for a hunt with one of my son's Coast Guard buddies. That was years ago. Told the wife that if there ever was an elephant coming down our street, we were safe!! :lol:
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

No problem RIck. Better than bayonets however are the spears they make for hog hunting. Never tried one myself, but have read and seen stories and photos from some that do, I will leave that style to them and keep with my Bow, rifle or handgun also. All of which have taken hogs for me on numerous hunts in the past years. :)