17 Fireball@#$%

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Fult

17 Fireball@#$%

Post by Fult »

Yeah I know this is a 204 forum, but what do you guys think about the 17 fireball? I kinda want to get a low recoil rifle, so I thought I might give it a whirl, or possibly a triple deuce? Just thought I'd see what those with more experience than me had to say.
Thanks,
Todd
SportFaller

Post by SportFaller »

Are those really any less than a .204? my .204 almost has negitive recoil.... plus it is a heavy gun.

just wondering....
H&R handi rifle in .204
Browning BLR lever in 300WSM
Savage MarkII FV in 22lr
Walther P22
Benelli Nova
various others.
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

The 17-221, 17 MachIV, and the 17 Rem Fireball cases must have about the same powder capacity. The Hornady Handbook Of Cartridge Reloading 6th Ed has the data on the 17 MachIV round. The max ft/sec muzzle velocity for the 20 Gr bullet was 4,100 and the 25 Gr bullet was 3,700 ft/sec. Looks like the round could be a good 250 Yd prairie dog rifle.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

They are awfully popular in some circles, there are probably more .17 Mach IVs out there, than .17 Remingtons, it's a much smarter round, more efficient, and within a couple hundred FPS of the bigger case.
We'll know soon enough, I suspect :D Even now, my warped little mind is trying to figure out how to buy one when they hit the market :wink: Some folks say that CZ dropped the .17 Remington in order to have enough barrel stock to chamber for the newbie, although that is raw speculation and nothing more.
The .20 VarTarg (.20/.221) is another that might :!: be coming along, it is also a "smarter" design than the .204, really. Again, we'll soon see if it comes along. I've been thinking about setting back and rechambering my CZ American for the VarTarg, as I think it would be more suited for that skinny little barrel.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Re: 17FB / 17 Mach IV....I built up a 17 Mach IV on an old Sako L461 action, 24" Shelin SS barrel in a McMillian stock with Leupold 6.5-20X scope for ground squirrels. You can see all your hits/misses, zilch recoil, long intervals between cleanings (I go 50 rounds, moly coated), and the little bugger launches a 25gr V-Max at an honest 3950 fps using only 16.8 grs of H322.

The puppy shoots less than .5 MOA, and is good for sage rats out to about 450 yards, and about a good 350 on prairie dogs, being a bigger critter. It rarely exits a large rockchuck, usually just turning the insides into jello. It is devestating on ground squirrels, giving a good "launch factor". (See Skippy jump!) :eek: It is excellent on fox and coyotes inside 250 yards.

It is a very efficient caliber, and VERY accurate. I see a 20 caliber (VarTarg) in my future also, and hope Remington gets on the 20 bandwagon soon.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Fult

Post by Fult »

What do you guys thinkn about 17 cal on Coyotes inside of 200 yards. I would think with good shot placement it should be great. Just a little hole going in, and no exit...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

See my above post: Excellent inside 250 yards, and that's just for the 17 Mach IV. Guys have been using the 17 Rem on coyotes for many years, very fur friendly.

The 17 Rem, 17/223, and the 17 Terminator extend that range even further.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Longest confirmed kill on a prairie dog for my 17 Rem is 485 yards....twice. Two "cousins" were living at the same address!

Would not hesitate to shoot a coyote, WITH proper shot placement and bullet at that range.
jb747

Post by jb747 »

I've had one 17 mach iv, built on a Sako 461. Also had two 221 Fireballs, one on the little Sako action, and the other a Rem LVSF. Whilst I like the Fireball, and the mach iv, I won't do one again, especially on a Rem action (that rifle is currently off being rechambered to 222 Rem Mag). Magazine issues just drove me nuts.

Of the two rounds, my preference would be for neither. The 20 Vartag looks to be the best of both worlds.