Making your own custom 204 Come-Up Charts

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Making your own custom 204 Come-Up Charts

Post by Rick in Oregon »

If you want to make your own cool 'come-up' chart for your 204, it is easy to do and free to boot. You must have a chronogapgh to do this, know the real velocity and BC of the bullet(s) you're shooting.

My Sako 204 (Mdl75V) loves both the Sierra 32 and 39 gr Blitz Kings, and I shoot both in the field. In order to make first shot hits at long range every time, you must have a come-up chart so you can dial in the elevation for these shots, or you're just guessing with holdover.

If you download one of the free ballistic trial programs, compute the zero at every range out to where you want to draw the limit (for my 204 it's 600 yards), then check what the total amount of 'come-up' is at 100 yards, which is where I always zero my rifles that have either M1 or target elevation turrets. This gives you a constant 'zero' reference.

Write down the numbers, use a small font on your printer, use 'center', print, and then cut out and tape to the inside of your scope cover.

In use in the field, you simply use your laser rangefinder, get the range, then flip up your scope cap (assuming you're using either the Leupold units or Butler Creek), consult the range, note the come-up for that range, dial, allow for wind, hold dead-on for elevation, and shoot.

This is the same system our LR snipers in the military use, and it really works. We use the system on chucks, PD's, and ground squirrels, and it will amaze you making first shot hits on these small critters farther than most people shoot deer. After shooting small rodents at extended ranges, a coyote is like shooting a truck at 500 yards!

Below is a picture of the chart I just made for my 204, using two columns, one for each bullet weight I shoot. Sorry for the crappy photo, my digital won't focus that close. Give this a try, it's easy, cheap, and highly effective.

You'll note that although the 32gr shoots flatter at first, the 39 catches it and shoots flatter at long range, due to the higher BC of the heavier bullet.
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Thanks for the info!! I have one question though, it says that you are only dropping 9.45 at 600yds!!, is that in inches or moa?
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

MOA. Dial in that number on the elveation turret for that specific range.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Yes, all very nice. However, haven't you ever like me been bother by all that cranking?

In my opinion, the MOA reticle shown here reduces all that hard labor too a mere shift of your left hand on the bag.

D. :)

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Dave, that works too. I've got both Varmint Hunter Reticles and Mil-Dot reticles. Both/all work. But for reasons known only to me, I'd rather dial every time. That is if/when time permits. Rats can dive down a hole or duck into the alfalfa purty dang quick! For times like that, ranging/holdover reticles come into their own.

You've sat next to me in the varmint patch during "spirited shooting" sessions, and my rate of fire on Skippy still has to be controlled for barrel erosion/barrel heat, but I'm still dialing with success. :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Nicely done on a quick simple tutorial Rick.
Critter

Post by Critter »

Oh, I've been there too. Note the white strip of masking tape around the elevation knob on the 6.5-30x58 SN-3. That white strip allowed me to put the snipers range chart on the elevation knob. Notes such as fence line, large PD mound, dirt pile etc were noted on there. PDs are big enough and generally within 500 or so yards so this system works quite well. With todays 90 click knobs, it works even better, but I have grown to like the matrix reticle as you saw on the last outing. This scope has a very accurate constant subtension 1st plane USMC style lit mil dot reticle in it's 35mm tube, but it is too coarse for Varmints as you know. Hence the reason for the lit mil scale or moa scale.

With respect to heat, that is one of the reasons I specify #7 or heavier pattern on my Varmint rifles. I have a M700 VSSF and it heats really fast with the .204, not as big a problem with the sniper weight rifle you saw.

Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Critter
If you don’t mind me asking what make scope do you have there. That looks like just what I’m looking for for coyotes.

For the rest of you out there Scootertrash just hip’ed me to the come up chart and unless you have a way cool scope like Critter here the come up is the way to go.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dave/Critter uses US Optics almost exclusively. Be prepared to spend at least $1800 - $2100 though.

These scopes are designed and marketed to LE and Military users, so you don't see too many in the civilian marketplace.

A come-up chart is MUCH cheaper to make and use. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

$$$$$$$$$$ :eek: :eek: :eek:
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Rick in O - After I saw your post yesterday I was anxious to compare my 'come ups to yours'. I had done the very same thing and wrapped the info on the top side of my scope. Since all I use are 32 gr. bullets that was the only comparison. You wouldn't believe how close they are. You could actually take mine off my scope use it on your rifle and make consistent hits all day.
Critter

Post by Critter »

Bad Dad wrote:Critter
If you don’t mind me asking what make scope do you have there. That looks like just what I’m looking for for coyotes.

For the rest of you out there Scootertrash just hip’ed me to the come up chart and unless you have a way cool scope like Critter here the come up is the way to go.

That scope is apparently no longer made. I checked. Current equivelant is USO SN-3 3.8-22x58 ERGO with 35mm tube, shown here on my M700. Reticle is lit MOA.

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skb: Very cool, and shows that we're both doing our homework correctly. But I'd like to think that great minds think alike! :lol:

Thanks for the info though....alwys good to have confirmation from an outside source. I used mine last weekend at some extended ranges, and made one 1-shot kill at 465 yards on a squirrel, so the chart appears to work quite well. All other shots were dialed on the elevation turret, and my hit ratio was over 90% at all ranges, so use yours with confidence, bud. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Rick in Oregon wrote:skb: Very cool, and shows that we're both doing our homework correctly. But I'd like to think that great minds think alike! :lol:

Thanks for the info though....alwys good to have confirmation from an outside source. I used mine last weekend at some extended ranges, and made one 1-shot kill at 465 yards on a squirrel, so the chart appears to work quite well. All other shots were dialed on the elevation turret, and my hit ratio was over 90% at all ranges, so use yours with confidence, bud. :D
So far my max range with the .204 to date is 415 yards on several very unfortunate prairie dogs. Scope is a Weaver KT15 AO
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skb: Nice! The charts DO work! Nothing better than to acquire a rat, laser the range, check the chart, dial up, shoot, and hear that sweet "thwap" sound! Ya just gotta love it! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA