Range today

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
montana hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Range today

Post by montana hunter »

I went to the range today to sight in my new CZ Varmint in 204 ruger. After getting on paper up close I moved out to 100 yards and worked up to a max load of H335, and after that worked up to a near max load of H4895. Here are a couple pics. I did run into trouble trying to get more H4895 in the case than 28.0 gr. I have never used a long drop tube but maybe now is the time to start learning. Any recommendations here would be appreciated.
Pics are of 5 shot groups-
---This is the first one I think has promise. I did have a flyer-no doubt my fault! :mad:

I did better on this 5 shot group :D - I am using a Leupold Vari-X II 3 x 9 x 40

Thanks for looking, and I appreciate others who have shared information here to get me started with the 204-Thanks Greg
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Range today

Post by futuretrades »

hi montana hunter
what bullet are you using for these groups? i just started putting my new howa 1500 on paper after barrel break in. i started with 40gr vmax bullets, h335 powder at 25.4gr for break in, and then 25.6gr. after putting on paper at 25yds. moved out to 100yds. now i am ready to start fine tuning a load to this rifle. i am using h335 powder because i have a lot of it for my 223. i don't see many people on this site using h335, so i am curious about using another powder. not a lot of range between min and max load for the 40gr pills with h335. i like the vmax bullets because of their explosive kills, even at longer ranges with 223, but willing to try some of the other bullets on the market. i will be loading some 32gr vmax today, for some testing.
anyone else out there using h335 powder in the 204?
thanks
Kevin
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
montana hunter

Post by montana hunter »

futuretrades-
I was shooting the 35 gr berger varmint match hp/fb. I am trying to work up a good coyote load for fall & winter this year. I think the H335 load had some promise, I am sure my error on the flyer. As far as another powder for the 40 gr v-max I know a guy over in Idaho posts over on PM alot uses 10X with great success. If I were gonna use that bullet I think that is the powder I would start with. He like the v-max because he can get the big boxes of 250 bullets per box. I am sure there are several other powders that might do well in your rifle. Often I try to use what I have on hand, I did purchase some H4895 specifically for this cartridge though.
I know many love the 39gr Blitzking for its great accuracy and seems to shoot well in many rifles. Also if I am not mistaken has a very high BC for less wind drift. I wish they offered these in 250 count boxes.
I was somewhat disappointed in the velocity readings I got from the H335 I got just at or over 3800 out of my 25.6" CZ Varmint. Published 3900 or so on Hodgedon info? Need to get back to the range with the H4895 to get some chrono readings. Take care- :D Greg
K_Hini

Post by K_Hini »

them varmints are shooters!! Love mine!!

kyle
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Nothing at all wrong with H335. It's a bit harder to clean the rifle after using it, since it burns so dirty, but it gives good results, at least in my Savage. I just don't use it because of the dirty factor, and that it's touchy in hot weather. I used to use it a lot, but after discovering Benchmark, I use that powder more often.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

montana hunter
Seeing as your CZ is brand new I'm guessing your brass is too. If you necksize you'll have more room in the case for H-4895 after they're fireformed. Never used a drop tube myself, just let the powder slowly run down the side of the funnel while tapping lightly. That helps.
I've noticed some of the dirty powders begin to burn cleaner when you find the sweet spot. Not a lot of expierience with H-335. Not sure if it would burn cleaner when tuned. My 223 did'nt like it but the little I tried in my 204 it looked promising.
The Sierra bk's are available in 500 bulk packs. The 35-40 Bergs are good coyote medicine according to the pro's.

Good Shootin

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

I would stay with the Berger35s if I were you.That's a great group, especially considering you "called" the flyer. That's what "they" say is THE best coyote medicine around here anyway.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
montana hunter

Post by montana hunter »

jo191145-
I was using new brass on this first trip to the range. I had not considered once fired(neck sized) brass having more capacity. I will check that out. I might see if I can't find a drop tube in the meantime. I am liking the H4895 load with the bergers.
Thanks for the info on the larger quantity of 39 gr blitzkings from Sierra. I might have to pick some up. Greg
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Thats some nice shooting montana hunter, theres nothing wrong with them groups at all. I've been useig h4895 with my 35gr berger bullets. But i'm working on a load useing benchmark right now cause it is a little cleaner powder. But that's the only reason as h4895 has given me some pretty good groups over time. Keep up the good work,