Muzzle brake

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Muzzle brake

Post by Gube »

Has any one had any experience using a muzzle brake with the 204. I have been thinking of putting one on one of my savages. I find anything much higher than 10 to 12 power and visual impact is sacrificed through the scope. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Savage Vaporizer
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Muzzle brake

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gube: I can't explain why you can't see your hits using a 204 with 10 - 12X magnification, as I shoot mine using a Lupy 6.5-20X, and even on 20X, I can see the hits/misses with no problem whatever.

Not knowing more about your shooting style, I'd say that it's possibly due to how you have your rifle set up during the shot. Almost all my varmint and paper shooting is done from a bench, and sometimes in the field from a bipod. No problem seeing hits using either method. From the bench, I use a front rest and a rear bag, and in the field off the bipod, I usually use a small dog-gone-good stock toe bag to support the toe of the stock.

Are you shooting a varmint weight rifle or a light sporter? Rifle weight comes into play here, and if a sporter, then I understand your plight. The only rifle I use a brake on is my 243 Ackley Improved bench rifle, and with it, seeing hits on 20X out to 800 yards is not problem (Holland Quick-Discharge Brake).

Brakes have their advantages and disadvantages, and for me at least, a 204 is not a candidate for a muzzle brake. But that's just me. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Post by Robert harrel »

i have a muzzle brake on my tac 20 and makes a lot of differance from shooting my 204 which has minimal recoil also
but very loud !
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Rick:
Both of my savages are heavy barrel varmint style. The 12 VLP and the 12 BTVSS (10 lb guns)
I use caldwell bags (front and rear), bipods, and sometimes shooting sticks.
The VLP has a Leupy 6.5 - 20 x 56 VXL
The BTVSS has a Bushnell 4200 elite tactical 6 - 24 x 50
I wouldn't say that I totally lose the "sight picture", but lets say if I miss a shot it's hard to tell point of impact in order to make a correction. Maybe it's just the way I hold it against my shoulder (rather loosely) compared to my high powered stuff. Just wondering if the use of a muzzle brake would make much of a difference and if anyone has tried one with the 204.
Savage Vaporizer