1st Shot

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Elklander

1st Shot

Post by Elklander »

Well I finally got a chance to shoot my Cooper. Bought it well over a year ago,ordered a Leupold 6.5x20x40 scope put it all in the safe and waited for the perfect time.Well that was yesterday at 10am.All I can say is WOW!! After getting things dialed in(on paper) I fined tuned it cleaned it, again, then moved over from the 100 yard bench to the 200 yard bench with my shooting partner to see what she it can do.Oh he has a 22-250 set up for varmint.I put the scope on 16 power slapped a 39 gr. Hornady in and took my first shot! Nailed the ring just above the X. Cool I can live with that.My partner tells me looking thru the spotting scope to take 3 more and we will take an average.OK I shoot 3 more times he says he cannot see any new holes.Well lets go cold and walk out and check.Well the shooter next to me heads out to check his target before We do.When I'm just about to my target this guy turns around and says darn fine shooting and heads back in.I walk over and 3 out of 4 shots are touching and the 4th is like a Tiger Woods birdie putt on the very edge of the cup. Bottom line I'm tickled the way she shoots. Thanks for all your imput here on 204 Ruger and Rick in Oregon for steering me straight. Nick
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: 1st Shot

Post by WrzWaldo »

Gotta love them coopers!

I'm kind of curious about your choice of bullet... Is it a custom from Hornady?
Elklander

Post by Elklander »

Oops the bullet is a Federal Premium V-shok 39 grain sierra blitzking.
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

You've got to be the most patient person, ever! Waiting over a year to shoot your Cooper, I can't even imagine that. Last year, when I bought mine, I was at the range bright and early next morning. It did take a little time to work out a load for mine, but now it is really a shooter.
Ain't it great to shoot a group like that and have a witness to boot! I'm looking for my next Cooper as we speak.
ImageImage
doubleA

Post by doubleA »

While I dont have a Cooper in 204 Ruger I have them in 17 HMR, 22-250, 243 Win, 25-06 and 6.5x284. I am still in load development with them but I have finally settled on a load for the 6.5x 284. It's a 142 gr SMK behind R-22 shoots well and has duplicated the factory test target many times. When I do my part, it's one hole at 100 yds and at 500 yds 3 shot groups average 1 1/2".

I am sure you are going to enjoy shooting and working up some loads for it.

Here's a keeper...... :D

Life is good, Give God the Glory.....doubleA