Timney trigger for the Old M77 Ruger Never install again!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Timney trigger for the Old M77 Ruger Never install again!

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I received my Timney trigger for the older model M77 with the tang safety and installed it. the trigger its self was no problem the safety with the wire was a little more hassel but the cutting away of the stock and the reglassing of the stock was a two and a half day project of pulling the barrel of the stock and reinstalling it and inletting to get the safety to fit and function OK with out binding. My other M77 will get the Rifle Basic job because it uses the Ruger trigger and only changes the sear. Just thought I would let you know in case you might be looking to change out a trigger on the Old M77. The new Mk II Rugers are a peace of cake to change to a Timney! Nothing against Timney but The safety for the Old M77 requires a lot of fitting and will leave a nessesary gap between the stock and the tang to allow room for the safety transfer wire or bar. Although just a slight one you can stare down on the safety push rod.
joea
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Timney trigger for the Old M77 Ruger Never install again!

Post by joea »

I think a replacement sear from Rifle Basix might be a better option for an Original M77
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Timney trigger for the Old M77 Ruger Never install again!

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I've installed Timney's in a few of my rifles with no problem, but when it came time to replace the trigger in my old tang sagety M77 220 Swift, I went with the Rifle Basix sear only, and it now releases just as sweet as you please with no creep or overtravel, right about 1.5 lbs.

The Rifle Basix sear unit for the old M77's really does the trick with no hassles at all.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails