Which bore guide

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
fredbeer
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Which bore guide

Post by fredbeer »

My Hogue/Howa .204 arrived yesterday. The Dewey bore guide .17-.22 will not fit. The collar is to big to fit in the back of the receiver. Anyone have a suggestion?

TheStoney Point is also too big.
rayfromtx

Re: Which bore guide

Post by rayfromtx »

Write to Mike Lucas and tell him the action and caliber as well as the specific cleaning rod that you use. He will send you the guide specific to your action and the insert specific to your rod along with a bill of around 30 something dollars as I recall. After you use it you will recommend it to your friends. You can easily google his address.
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

I have a Lucas bore guide for my AR's and it is the best you can get for the money. Here is the link. I think they are $35.50.

lucasmjb@nuvox.net
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

MTM (the Caseguard people) also make a rod guide for Howas, it's rudimentary, but it works, for about $10, and they are available thru most of the MTM dealers, or the big mail-order places.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Post by Robert harrel »

I took the sleeve off one of my bore guides and chucked it up in the lathe and turned it down to fit the cooper 21 reciever
worked for me :D
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

fredbeer wrote:My Hogue/Howa .204 arrived yesterday. The Dewey bore guide .17-.22 will not fit. The collar is to big to fit in the back of the receiver. Anyone have a suggestion?

The Stoney Point is also too big.
call stoney point (Hornady now) and let them know you need the new sleeve for a weatherby rifle, or if you call midway, cabela's or one of the big merchandizers, and tell them your problem, they may even have the weatherby sleeve in stock.
i am using the stoney point bore guide with the new sleeve for my vangard and on my howa 1500.
good luck
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
fredbeer
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by fredbeer »

Thanks for the tips. I put the Stoney Point on a belt sander and it fits like a glove now. This should suffice until I can get one custom made.