Shooting property in USA

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Ausiboy

Shooting property in USA

Post by Ausiboy »

I have been watching some Coyote hunting videos, and I sometimes see cars driving in the background when someones taking a shot!

How do you guys get places to hunt on over there? It almost looks like you just pull off the side of the road and start calling in Coyotes.

Am I missing something?
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Shooting property in USA

Post by glenn asher »

Some times, and some places, that's EXACTLY how it's done, but it depends on the laws of the state you happen to be in. Most states don't allow shooting from a roadway, but some western states do allow that. In most places, due to heavy populations, it can't be tolerated, but some of the western states are sparsely settled, and things are more carefree. Times have changed, and that's the price paid.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Because some people just plain break the law. It can be along way between towns in the west. There is a lot of public land leased for cattle grazing but still open for legal hunting or travel. In cattle country not to much is thought about taking a pot shot at a coyote but I don't know any where that they don't want you at least a 150 ft from the road. Any way the coyotes are pretty skiddish in cattle county. The real shooting is in the alfalfa fields for ground squirrels.
Ausiboy

Post by Ausiboy »

Thanks for the replies.

It is too hard to tell how far the road was away, but it was well within shooting distance.

Over here in Aus, it is illegal to shoot from any road and you need to have written permision from the land owner to shoot. There may be some exceptions, but I am unaware of any.

Can you guys point me in the direction of some info on overseas visitors and your gun laws? ie, gaining permision to hunt.
I could spend an hour searching the net, but Im at work and my boss wouldnt be keen on that.

Thanks.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Ausiboy wrote:I have been watching some Coyote hunting videos, and I sometimes see cars driving in the background when someones taking a shot!

How do you guys get places to hunt on over there? It almost looks like you just pull off the side of the road and start calling in Coyotes.

Am I missing something?
Coyote hunting videos are a joke....they cause more problems than they ever solved. (how would you like to be in one of those cars in the background being shot at) I would be willing to bet many are made by doing exactly what you just mentioned. If you don't know who owns the property and you "just pull off and shoot" besides being just wrong you can lose you hunting rights, your guns, your vehicles and considerable amounts of money by doing that.

Me, I ask first. You see its pretty simple. You find out who owns the land. You go to their door. You tell them what you would like to do. You ask them if that would be ok.

If its public land it would be wise to communicate with the DOW to find out what the regulations are for that area.

Its pretty sad state of affairs that videos have given a hunter this misrepresentaton....can you imagine what a non-hunter must think.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator