Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by Jim White »

My name is Jim.

I retired from the Navy after 20+ years riding submarines. In the Navy I was fortunate to be able to compete at National level competition with the Service Rifle (M1, M14 and AR-15). I’m a life member of the NRA and hold a High Master high-power rifle classification. I’ve earned both the Distinguished Marksman (Rifleman) and the Presidents Hundred (Rifle). In other words, I like to shoot!

In 2007 I was exposed to hunting ground squirrels in Central Oregon. I borrowed a 17 HMR and man was I hooked. Since then I’ve purchased one (Savage Laminate Thumbhole) for myself and I haven’t looked back.

This past year I tried a few shots through a CZ-527 Varmint in 204. Three shots, three hits out around 300 yards or so. Now I’m hooked on the 204.

I just recently fell into a NIB CZ-527 American. I scoped it with a Nikon 6.5-20x44 and have put 40 rounds down range so far, basically doing a barrel break in. I wish the barrel was free floated but unfortunately its not so I’ll bed the action and free float the barrel. Hopefully the group size (approx 1.5”) will improve.

I also fell into a Remington 700 VLSS Thumbhole in 204 for a darn good price (I think (under $700.00)). I haven’t tried it out yet since I need some glass to go top but it sure looks nice. I have a spare Zeiss 4.5-14x50 laying around but it has the heavy duplex reticle. Its nice and clear but that reticle is not ideal (IMO) for small varmints and the only thing I can have installed is a mil-dot or a #4 reticle which is the same as I have now except the stadia (spelling) at 12:00 is narrow. Also, I’m wondering if 14.5 is enough power for those little critters.

I’ve got a set of Redding neck dies with the FL body on order so I’ll start reloading soon. Hopefully I can get the same exact loads to shoot well in both rifles using a Hornady 40 gr VMAX or a Sierra 39gr Blitz King.

Thanks for having me here.

Jim
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

It's good to have you here Dan!! Thanks for what you've done!! :wink: Check out the tabs at the top of the page too.

BTW-- These guys get a little cranky around here when they read about someone getting a new rig & there aren't any pictures posted. Just a little FYI there. :wink: :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Jim, welcome aboard! You and I both have good taste in rifles as I have the same as you.
I just picked up a CZ 527 in .223 and I have a Remy 700 VLSS Thumbhole in .204. Also I shoot sage rats in central oregon and I am friends with a sub guy, but he only spent 10 years under water. Gary
Don
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by Don »

Don here, I don't have a .204 but I am a fan of Ruger.
I shot a #1V in 22-250.
Health has kept me on the range as of late. I am also a
fan of accuracy that why I treat my brass the same as I treat
the brass for my 6mm ppc.
I like reading anything about Ruger thats why I am here.
I'm from Ontario.
Gannon
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C encore .204 Nikon buckmaster 6-18

Post by Gannon »

Hello everyone, my name is Gannon, been looking at the forums here for a while, figured it was time to get on here and say hi. Love coyote hunting every chance i get. Some pd shooting every once in a while. Big game every year along with turkey every year. I live in north eastern Colorado, so there is ample opportunity for throwing a lot of lead. Just got my 204 about 6 months ago Love It, its an encore with a 6-18 nikon. My coyote gun before that was (my son inherited it for hunting only lol) an ar I am going to try to get a pic of both on here as i know you all like pics. Just got into reloading and am learning tons. Still have tons to learn. Just wanted to say hi and hope to talk to some of you on here and learn from you all.

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Welcome aboard Jim! Lots of motivated varmint shooters here with a wealth of knowledge to share.

Looks like nice weaponry; you'll fit right in here. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Captqc wrote:Jim, welcome aboard! You and I both have good taste in rifles as I have the same as you.
I just picked up a CZ 527 in .223 and I have a Remy 700 VLSS Thumbhole in .204. Also I shoot sage rats in central oregon and I am friends with a sub guy, but he only spent 10 years under water. Gary
Thank you. I fell into these two 204's pretty quick. I'm working on the loads for the CZ since I picked that one up first. Also, since this a new caliber for me I need all the items for reloading (tools and components). So far it seems that the rifle will shoot both the Hornady 40gr and the 39 Sierra. I just need to get the exact load nailed down.

For the Remington, I'll "glass-er-up" right after Christmas and get to work on that one.

Thanks!

Jim
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Welcome aboard Jim! Lots of motivated varmint shooters here with a wealth of knowledge to share.

Looks like nice weaponry; you'll fit right in here. :D
Thanks.

My son and I can't wait to get back to the fields this spring.

Jim
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

Post by Rich V »

Hi, my name is Rich.

Bought my first .204 this summer,and have used some of the info. on this sight to do some loading, thought I'd make it official and introduce myself. I'm a retired pipefitter and have hunted fished and trapped my whole life. Hope to get to know you all better and become friends.

Rich V
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Don, Gannon, and Rich, we are glad to have you guys join us. You will find a wealth of knowledge (and some outright B.S. :eek: :lol: ) here and a great bunch of guys. Looking forward to hearing about your toys and adventures, and don't forget we love pictures around here! Gary
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Welcome! :)
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

Hello my Name is Mike I'm from Pulaski County Missouri, Paramedic by trade. Avid shooter. I have 30 rifles of all different calibers. I finally bought my first 204 at a Gun Show over the weekend. A Rem 700 SPS Varmint. I mounted a Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24x40 mildot scope I am really looking forward to try this thing out. I reload and have been researching loads from this site.
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Medic52,
Welcome to the forum! You'll find a great bunch around here and don't forget that we like to here about your adventures and by all means post pics. We love pics around here! :D Gary
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

Thanks guys looking forward to know some of you. I hang out at rimefire cetral, optics talk, 17HMR and a couple of other sites
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
PhxRugerShooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B with Moyers trigger and Hicks Accurizer

Post by PhxRugerShooter »

Hello,

I'm Mark, as you probably guessed I am located here in Phx.
I am somewhat new to shooting and reloading for centerfire.
My current project is a ruger #1b in .204. This gun has been a poor shooter out of the box. I have loaded quite a bit for it but it has never done much better than an inch. I will post some of my data in the reloading section. I just did a bit of work to it including a new moyer trigger and a Hicks Accurizer. I am testing the new mods this weekend.
Other guns I currently enjoy are
CZ527 FS in .223 no work to it yet.
CZ 452 Varmint in 17HMR Floated, Brooks trigger kit (nice shooting gun)
CZ 452 silhouette .22 Brooks trigger kit. (nice shooter)
Couple of High Standards and some black powder rifles.