Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
D'zaster
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 1 AR upper

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by D'zaster »

Hey Guys,
Have visited your site regularly since last year when I was setting up a budget 204 AR project. I joined the forum a few weeks ago (just prepped a pile of cases and ready to start loading!). I am a long time shooter and reloader (handguns and rifles) but relatively new to 204. My 204 AR rifle is only used for ground squirrel hunting on a sheep ranch in NE calif late winter and Spring. The rest of the time, my other guns are getting the attention - which is not enough!!! There's always something to learn and I like the vibe on this forum.

Gary
robert w.
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger american preditor/cz527

Post by robert w. »

New guy here.at 62 I'm an avid hunter target puncher.eased into a ruger in 204 ruger to join my 22 hornet and 22-250. I'm discovering my 204 is becoming rifle of choice.
I am getting set up to reload .I will load 204 ruger, 22 hornet, 22-250 and my big blackhawk 45 colt.
Beardog
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3X varmint

Post by Beardog »

HI Guys

Just joined today, great forum. I have recently brought myself a .204 in Tikka T3X Varmint with a Vortex 6-24x50 PST scope on it. Very pleased with the setup. Ive not taken anything with it yet but have christened it on a steel fox at 740y, to my amazement the bullets went where my app said they would, after windage.

Cheers
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Welcome aboard the 204um, Beardog. Post up some pictures when you get around to it. We like pictures. There is a vast wealth of experience on this website, especially when it comes to the 204 Ruger.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
arkrunner
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 custom sako

Post by arkrunner »

Good morning to all. Im new to the forum and found the forum while looking for information on the 204. I work in Branson, Mo in healthcare. Im hobby that I use to decompress is building custom gunstocks. Im in the process of building a nice 17-223 on a sako 461 action. It was a project gun that I bought on Accurateshooter forum. Ive been on that forum for a while. I found a nice Remington 700 in 223 with a bull barrel and will use this action for a 204 build. I found a local guy who bought all of the Green Mountain overrun barrels for MidWay. He had some 20 cal. barrels with 1x12 twist SS. They seem to be good barrels for the money. So anyway here are some pics of my current project.
Wood was a Fajen with a big old monte carlo stock, Im more of a classic guy. so I made it look like this.
Barrel was put on buy someone up north the previous owner said the gun was in the safe for 20 years and he was never going to finish. So he had no idea who did the barrel
Looking better,
I got it pillar bedded an glassed in last night now to start the sanding and finishing.
I do my own checkering and love pretty wood
arkrunner
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 custom sako

Post by arkrunner »

also enjoy Turkey hunting. Started my season off well this year with a nice bird.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

arkrunner: Lookin' good there, buddy! I'm also a Sako Vixen fan, having a few myself in small calibers. I like your mod to the rollover monte carlo stock too....much nicer looking.

Welcome to the forum; lots of knowledge here to share. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

triggerfingers
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper MTV 204 Ruger, Savage 12 LRPV 20 VT, Cooper MTV 6x45

Post by triggerfingers »

Hello all.... I'm an avid shooter/reloader and have been in the firearms business for the past 25+ years. Started off with 22 hornet and now working my way to my first 204 Ruger. More of a target shooter than hunter. To quote Townsend Whelen " Only accurate rifles are interesting"
.218bee
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by .218bee »

Hello all,

My name is Dave, i am 32yrs old, fairly new to the forum, and fairly new to reloading, but not at all new to shooting. I shoot sporting clays all summer and some trap too. I am also an avid hunter of deer, coyote, fox, groundhogs, squirrels, rabbits, etc. I currently own a Marlin 25n microgroove in .22lr with a Bushnell Sportview 3x9x40mm (very impressive for a .22lr), a Winchester 1300 in 12ga (my sporting clay and trap gun, i like to humble the guys that shoot benelli lol im the only one out there pumping and often get high score lol), a Winchester M70 featherweight in .243win with a Redfield Wide-view 3x9x40mm (my deer rifle from age 12 til age 31 and only went 2 of those years without getting a deer), Winchester M70 XTR in .223rem with a pre-74 leupold 10x fixed power with fine crosshair that i havent figured out the mfg date for(the definition of accuracy in a factory hunting rifle), a winchester 9422 22lr with Bushnell sportview 4x30mm (never gets used), pre-64 Winchester M70 featherweight in .243win with Redfield Wide-view 3x9x40mm (my dad's deer rifle from age 12 til sometime in his 40's when he bought his weatherby vanguard .243win), my great-grandfather's 1940's Winchester 94 in .32special (hand me down that never gets used), Lyman Great Plains Rifle flintlock smokestick in .50cal (hand me down that was only used one year about 5yrs ago, and i think it's still loaded.... smh...), Kasner O/U 12ga (never gets used) my latest purchase a CZ527 American in .204 Ruger with a Vortex Diamondback HP 3x12x42mm (i love this gun, but i love that set trigger more!), and finally the gun that is nearest to my heart, a 1959 Winchester M43 in .218bee! it is the 7th from last model 43 ever produced! but it needs a new scope put on it as i just have a tasco 3x9x40mm junk scope on it (my great-grandfather wrote into his will that his beloved great-grandson David was to recieve his Bushnell binoculars and his .218bee and the rifle tripod i think he knew i was going to be a groundhog and coyote hunter back when i was 3yrs old just before he died). But ever since i got the .204 i haven't hardly touched any of my other rifles! Especially once i tuned in a few handloads for it. I thank you all for having me and hope to have fun, learn from, and share with you!
"There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
GunnScott
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GunnScott »

Hi, everyone! Newbie here. I'm hoping to own a Ruger one of these days, but for now, it's the learning curve for me. By the looks of it, I'll be able to learn a lot from the helpful members of this forum. Cheers!
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

.218bee wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 pm I thank you all for having me and hope to have fun, learn from, and share with you!
Welcome Dave. Ever since I shot a 204 the first time I was hooked as most here probably were too. Incidentally, my first 204 Ruger was [and still is] a CZ-527 American; it's a darn nice walk around rifle.

Jim
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

GunnScott wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:21 pm Hi, everyone! Newbie here. I'm hoping to own a Ruger one of these days, but for now, it's the learning curve for me. By the looks of it, I'll be able to learn a lot from the helpful members of this forum. Cheers!
Welcome, and I'll add; you definitely came to the right place. There's plenty of help and good sound advice here.

JIm
GunnScott
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GunnScott »

Thank you very much, Jim! Greatly appreciated.
CPO Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Varnint and custom Savage Target SS Action

Post by CPO Shooter »

77 years young. Retired US Navy (20 years). Retired oil industry (refining & deep water drilling). Live in Lynden, WA, far NW corner app. 4 miles below Canada.
Started 204 Ruger app. 5years ago. 2 rifles built on Savage Varmint and Savage target action. Savage so I can play with various cartridges and barrels. I have 5 204 barrels. The latest is a 1 in 7 PacNor for the 55 grain Berger. Still developing. I tend to shoot 20 shot groups vs 5 shot groups. My best 204 is the Varmint action, Benchmark barrel, 40 gr Berger, 26.3 gr Benchmark powder, and 2.335 COL. It will always shoot .7 inch or better 100 yard 20 shot groups. Best was a slightly larger than .4 inch 20 shot group (aberration but neat). Additional firearms: An older 270 caliber Savage 110 action, with RemAge 30-06, 338-06, and 35 Whelen barrels. Like the 338-06 best. A Nosler M48 in 30-06, with an additional Proof Research Carbon 30-06 barrel. A CZ 22LR with Benchmark barrel. A Rem700 in 7RemMag with Benchmark barrel. A Ruger American 22LR (very inaccurate). Additional Savage barrels: 2 each 222 and 2 each 223. They are fun but I like the 204 best.
Started bucket list. Got elk last 2 years. This year trying for a black bear. If or when finances allow, try for grizzly &/or moose.

Forgot: Have a Volquartsen .17HMR. Another tack driver and the run away favorite of all grandsons.
hogan
.204 Ruger Guns: Mossberg MVP predator

Post by hogan »

First off, I have been lurking here for a few months after I finally bought my 204.
I am from Viroqua, Wisconsin in the center of trout heaven.
Originally from central Iowa, I moved to Wisconsin in 1993 and retired a month ago at age 60.
I retired early so I could pursue the things I enjoy, hunting and fishing. Recently took up coyote hunting again so my hunting season never ends. I owned a 22-250 yrs ago which I sold out of need to buy groceries.
Recently I had been struggling with making up my mind about which critter glitter to buy, another 22-250 or a 204. My brother made up my mind for me by selling me a rifle he had just won at a pheasants forever banquet. A Mossberg MVP varmint in 204 Ruger. I have never been a big Mossberg fan but the price was right and it flat out shoots.
Just received my dies and a funnel small enough to fit the 20 ca. neck. Still playing with different loads and will keep you guys updated with load info.
I look forward to swapping stories with everyone.

Hogan