Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
HEIN
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Mod 12 .204

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by HEIN »

Greetings to All,
My name is Hein, from sunny South Africa. I am the lucky owner of a Savage Mod 12 .204, and just can not get enough of it. :D
The .204 is not well know here in S.A. Only 11 as far as i know.
I use mine mainly for vermin hunting, such as jackal, lynx, warthog and porcipine, which it do very well.
So far i have only shot reloads, although factory ammo is available.

Please forgive spelling etc, as English is not my first language :oops:

PS, glad i have found this forum

Hein
SPEED KILLS !
smbob
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by smbob »

Hi,
My name is Robert. I'm a recent 204 Ruger owner, but I'm hardly new to shooting. I have been shooting for over 45 years. I was really drawn to the 204 Ruger based on it's reputation for outstanding accuracy. I own a couple of CZ's and I love them! I figured I couldn't t go wrong with another one, so I picked up a CZ 527 Varmint. I mounted a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44mm scope with tall Warne Maxima CZ 527 rings. I'm very Impressed with the scope. Very clear glass and the dead hold BDC is fantastic! From the very beginning it was clear that this rifle was going to be phenomenally accurate. I picked up a couple of hundred rounds of Hornady V-Max ammo in 32gr & 40gr. Both shot well, with the 40gr shooting the best by a slim margin. Slightly over a half inch at 100 yards. But honestly I have to say that shooting this rifle at 100 yards is like shooting fish in a barrel. It gets boring because it is so accurate. I took it out to the desert last week. There were no critters in the area, so we set out some water bottles and soda cans out to 300 yards. It was a blast watching them getting vaporized when they were hit through the scope. I recently picked up some BLC2, Remington 7 1/2 primers, and some 40gr V-Max and Midway Dog Town 34gr HP bullets.I also got a Lee neck sizing die set. I'm going to the range at my gun club this weekend to do some load development with the bullets I have on hand. I'm also looking forward to trying more like the Sierra 39gr BK and the 35gr Barger when I can find them. I'm really looking forward to hanging out with you guys here on this forum. Seems like some really nice & knowledgeable people here.

Robert
MerritT
.204 Ruger Guns: cz527

Post by MerritT »

My name is Merritt, I live in the SE US and own a CZ 527 American in .204 Ruger, most varminting around here is on small family farms so we're pretty careful about where we're shooting and like rounds with a low a ricochet factor as possible, still sorting the rifle out as to its likes and dislikes. :)
53eldorado
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator

Post by 53eldorado »

Made my first post a few minutes ago so I thought I should post here too. Found this site when I first heard of the 204 but now I'm getting a little more serious about it.

Originally from MN, spent most of my life in MT and now I'm in CO. Married (40+) 3 kids each born in a different decade, and 4 grandkids. I was a vocational educator until our district in it's infinite wisdom decided our kids were all going to 4 yr colleges and cut all vocational programs. (don't get me started)

Most of my hunting was for deer and elk in MT. Can't stand what CO has done to elk hunting so I started looking for something different. Would also like to try turkey hunting but I can't find the dang things here where I live.

Picked up the new Ruger American Predator as soon as it was available and now I'm getting it all put together. Would like to try coyotes and pdogs someday but I will have to start with paper. Yes I'm getting old but I like to learn and try new things and one of them is getting better at long distance shooting.

I'm sure I will have plenty of questions for you guys. Thanks, fitz
07yzryder
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 15

Post by 07yzryder »

First post so i thought this thread would be appropriate.

My name is Robert and live in Las vegas, Got plenty of room to stretch my legs and shoot far out here. I love shooting and riding motorcycles, dirt and street, as well as fishing and hunting. lucky for me i got it all year round where i live. Hoping to get into the hunting a bit more as my 204 will be dedicated to predators/bunny busting.

For my shooting obsession (yes its went past a hobby) i prefer long range and have 1 built precision rifle in 308 and another being finished up at the smiths in 338 LM. I also like my odd caliber Ar's so i have a family of them, 223 was my first, then built a 300BLK and a 458 Socom then this 204.

Hope to learn mor abou tthe 204 caliber and get some tips from the community!
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

I found this site when doing my research on 204 caliber rifles, I've since "squeezed the trigger" on one but have just been punching paper until my next prairie dog excursion.
My name is Wes and live in Northeast Wisconsin. Our small game hunting around here is limited to squirrel, rabbit and grouse or woodcock. Predator hunting is coyote and fox, our wolf season is limited by a lottery draw. Big game is White tailed deer and bear.
I was fortunate enough to get an invitation to go on a South Dakota prairie dog hunt 3 years ago and was instantly hooked. After the first trip I purchased a 17 HMR and retired my trusty old 22 lr, but was still using my 270 WIN for long range work. Shooting rounds out of the “big” gun was less fun because I did not get to see the hit due to the recoil. I purchased my Savage model 12 FV and am looking forward to seeing the “squeak” acrobatics through the scope this spring.
I’m looking forward to learning from the experienced 204 shooters on this site!
Shoot straight & often.
Pedro
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore Pro Hunter

Post by Pedro »

Hey guys. My name is actually Don but it was already taken so I settled on Pedro. I live in old ghost town Hawkinsville Tx which is now classified as Sargent Tx. I just bought a T/C Encore Prohunter 204 Ruger. I love it. I'm still waiting to bust some of these coyotes around here. I'll post more as time goes along.
COhntr
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint Tikka T3/Lilja

Post by COhntr »

Hello all, i have been hiding in the shadows for a while and finally decided to join.

My name is Troy, i am from southwestern colorado. I am in a sportsman's paradise here, i have been an avid hunter for 25+ years. I am the proud new owner of a Browning X-Bolt predator hunter, my first rifle in the wonderful .204, i will probably have to fight off my 2 boys for this gun.

I am looking forward to learning more about this wonderful little round. Thanks in advance for all the knowledge and experience on this site.

Troy
Tarrin
.204 Ruger Guns: AR

Post by Tarrin »

Hello all,

As you may have noticed, there have been some changes happening with the forum. Brian, my dad, is becoming a big wig at his work, so he's passed the technical side of the site to me. If you have any questions or problems with the site, feel free to PM me or email me directly at tarrin@204ruger.com.

Thanks!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome aboard Tarrin!!
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
itzdirty
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Post by itzdirty »

I was so excited to get started that I missed this thread. Better late than never. My name is Rick. I was born and raised in a small town in western NY. Currently I'm residing in Buffalo NY. I enjoy hunting of all types but spend most of my time chasing fox and coyote. My passion for calling has spilled into to call making as well. When I'm not out calling I'm in the shop working on calls. I bought a .204 ruger due to a recent change in regulations allowing centerfire riles under .22 cal in areas where all centerfires were prohibited previously. At first I was not in love with the round but it's growing on me now. I thank you all for the great site and great advisement I've recieved already.
jmack
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12fcv, remington vtr

Post by jmack »

Thanks for adding me to the group. My name is Jeff, and I've gone .204 crazy! I love this round, and look forward to learning, gaining more knowledge on this site. I have a Remington 700vtr, and just bought a Savage 12fcn. I'm kind of a Nikon guy, but would love any info on what you all are using that works for you. I haven't started reloading yet, but have saved all my Hornady brass. I plan on using the New Savage for varmint hunting, and probably some paper shooting. What would be a good reloader set up, I've never reloaded a single round of any caliber, but am very interested in getting stared. I hope everyone has a great, and safe day out there!
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hello. Better late than never I guess. I'm Jim from Baytown, Texas, 63 years old. My dad opened a meat market/bar-b-q business when I was 12 & was turned over to me at 22. I still own it but I'm semi retired. I cut meat, bar-b-qued, and processed deer & hogs most all my life. 5 years ago I developed ALS so my mobility is very limited. My passion has always been guns & hunting. I have several firearms but my favorites are the .20 & .22 calibers, specifically 220 Swift, 204 Ruger, & 222. Started reloading about 7 years ago & really enjoy it. I'll have to praise the members on this site for being so helpful on all subjects. A lot of other sites seem to be just for bickering & arguing but not this site. Thank ya'll for that. Have a great year and stay safe. Shoot straight. JD Southeast Texas
K-man
.204 Ruger Guns: Cz 527 varmint

Post by K-man »

Hi everyone. My name is kurt gross and i live in michigan. Im an avid deer hunter and trout fisherman and do most of that in the northern part of the state. I love to shoot, anything from air rifles on up. Ive always been wanting a predator(hyper type) caliber to play around with. For years a toyed around getting a 220 swift. The more i read about the qualities of the 204 and easy to get ammo, i picked up cz 527 varmint. Happy so far. 3/4 groups with hornady 32 gr. ive taken crows and red squirrels so far but gonna start on coyotes thinking of picking up some dies and trying 35 gr bergers. Thanks for your time k- man
DannoBoone
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator .204

Post by DannoBoone »

Howdy. Danno here. At age 63 and semi-retired, still interested in small calibers. I've looked through this site off and on for
years. I have an Encore barrel chambered in Tactical 20 which has been as accurate as a lot of bolt actions. But there are
times when a person just likes a change, so I've gotten a Predator in .204R. One thing I find a little odd is that hardly anyone
is using H4198 in the .204. Why is that? It's the most efficient, fastest, and accurate powder I have used in the Tac 20.?.? The
inventor of the Tac 20 pushed 33gr bullets as fast as 4300fps using H4198 in his converted Rem 700!!

I was born and raised in SW Nebraska. Did a lot of p-dog damage with .22-250's and .25-06's as a teenager and later in my
early 20's (after a 4-year stint in the Army). P-dogs were great targets with the '06 when practicing up for deer! That was
back when farmers and ranchers still considered it a favor to reduce their p-dog populations, rather than using them for
a cash crop. Later moved to Iowa where the laws considering deer hunting are limited to slob-gun or muzzle loader. Sure
have missed the .25-06! Fox and coyotes are the only animals that center fire can be used, but I do a lot of shooting at
the bench with various calibers, as well as our own custom smokeless muzzle loaders--have built a couple of them, too.

Going to try my luck at calling coyotes while they are grabbing every whitetail fawn they can get their teeth into. Getting
very sick and tired of them reducing the deer population around here. The predator will give follow up shots, if needed,
and any help I can get from all of you will be greatly appreciated.