Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by bazz »

wecome txbobcat u will find wealth of knowledge on this sight and a very friendly minded bunch of gun enthusiast here and only too glad too help cheers bazz
sharps45-120
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M .204 Ruger

Post by sharps45-120 »

Way to go Texas Bobcat. Hope my Reloading instructions and help setting thing up work out for you. It was our pleasure to have your visit and enjoyed helping select a rifle, set up scope, custom thumbhole stock and working up accurate loads for and with you. I am looking forward to your exceptional pictures of the Varmints ( Coyotes, Rabbits and the like) you capture with camera as well as bullets. Keep gping Cousin, God Bless and Enjoy Shooting...!
Pack Rat
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700, Howa, Thompson

Post by Pack Rat »

Hi Y'all. I wasn't looking for ya but found you anyway. Coming up on the 5th year in the world of .204 Ruger. Started off with a 700 that was a good deal in a small gun craft show so thought I would try it. Amazing accuracy. Then later on some guy wanted a pistol I had and traded him for his Howa. So then I had bought a lot buy from and estate that had a Win 70 in '06 that I had no use for and traded it for a Thompson Center Venture Predator. Then this pawn shop had an Ultra break over marked as a .22... what can I say... Now two more Ventures are on the way for the Granddaughters.
Love the incredible accuracy and no recoil.
Maybe I'll tell the wife's story in here someplace... She hijacked the first 700 and then later nearly had to spank the oldest (44) daughter who borrowed it and didn't want to give it up. Something was said about a looong term abortion.. Its been fun!!!

Oh,,,I'm Larry Young 68 and opinionated.. (now where is that rolleyes smilie face)
NRA Endowment, TSRA Benefactor
One Shot East
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Model 21

Post by One Shot East »

Born in Illinois (Da Bears). Living in Maine. IR 50/50 Rimfire Bench Rest Shooter. Retired Army NCO. 6BR hand loader, as my user name implies, I have participated in all 3 East Coast Cooper Firearms of Montana One Shot Competitions. One of the cherished paintings found a home this year. Model 21 Cooper, Montana Varminter in 204 Ruger my reason for joining this forum. The advice by many of you was followed concerning optics. Choice was Leopold VX3 6.5-20x40 with Varminter Reticle. Mount and rings are by Ken Ferrell. Ops forgot a life long Chicago Cubs fan.
onebreath280
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 ruger AR-15

Post by onebreath280 »

Hey folks I just picked up a 204R barrel for my AR15 and was looking for reloading data and was lead here. I am an AMT in the US Coast Guard stationed in Kodiak Alaska. I am originally from south Lousiana but have lived out west for the past 10 years, NW Nevada, west Oregon and Washington, now Alaska. I am a prety avid predator hunter and that is what lead me to the AR platform rifle. The 223 is great for coyotes but we dont have coyotes on the island all we have are foxes. I was unhappy with the big holes that the 223 bullets were pitting in the beautiful fox hides so that is why I wanted something smaller and faster. I played around with the idea of getting a .20 practical barrel cut but I wanted one in 1-10" twist and it was going to cost 800+ to get it made that is when I started looking into the 204R. I found a Shilen 204R in 1-9 twist and decided I could make that work after reading some of the revews on here about the barrel. Thanks for all the great info you guys have posted up on here over the years. Here is a picture of my new fox rifle I just got it put together a couple days ago.
20" shilen barrel 1-9"
MK4 Leupold 4.5x14-50mm TMR reticle w/ MK4 rings
Seekins 15" freefloat MCSR rail
Colt upper and lower
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

Welcome Onebreath280. You made the right choice getting the Shilen 1-9 twist. I put one on my Remington 700 and the accuracy is phenomenal, especially with the 39 gr BlitzKings. It doesn't care for the lighter weight bullets though.
Dayv
.204 Ruger Guns: howa

Post by Dayv »

Hey everyone, well my name is Dayv and im from a small island state in Australia called Tasmania. I grew up on moderate sized farm and have hunted all my life pretty much everything from rabbits to deer, with the main one being our two different types of wallaby, my reason for joining this site is because im new to the 204 world and the amount of knowledge that's in one place here is incredible, its a real credit to admin and all you guys on here, already the forum has helped me to no end.
I reload for most of my firearms and reckon theres no better feeling than taking that trophy deer with a round you've loaded yourself :D at 26 years of age I am only young and still have so much to learn, but I think that's half the fun though as I don't believe you can ever know it all or know to much for that matter. I will apologise now for all the questions I am likely to ask along the way as some of them to may seem like silly questions to some of you but like I said I have much to learn and theres only one way to do it :mrgreen:
anyways ill stop yaffling now have a great day and ill catch yous around the site at some stage cheers Dayv
On An Island
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS, Timney trigger, Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56

Post by On An Island »

Hi all, my name is David and I'm from Texas (yes, ANOTHER one :) ). I live just west of Houston, am married, have 2 grown kids, 2 big dogs and a new Remington 700 VLS in .204 Ruger at the gunsmith getting its scope mounted (new Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56).

I've been shooting for 42 years (since I was 12) starting with a Remington 550 .22 semi-auto and worked my way through all sorts of calibers and types, and then went on to shotguns and handguns. I still have that ol' 550 BTW. I don't hunt any more - guess I got to be a softy as I got older. But if it's paper, steel, clay pigeon, or a zombie, I'm all for it.

I haven't done any reloading yet, but that's coming pretty quickly with the new rifle. I'll try not to be too big a pest but any and all advice (and stories - got to have stories) on that is welcome.
David
NRA Member
TSRA Member
Flatliner
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Flatliner »

Mornin' all. Great forum you guys have here. I'm a farmer from Northern Ireland,and all my shooting is based on vermin control, mostly rabbits and corvids. At the minute I use a Theoben Rapid .22, a CZ 452 .17hmr and my ever faithful Lanber 12g O/U. I'm currently thinking about making the step up from rimfire to centrefire, for foxing. I had been thinking of .22Hornet but, after a few recommendations, .204 is looking very interesting. Flat and fast does it for me. Just trying to gain as much info on the calibre and reloading.
James
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by James »

Just started, hi my name is James. I do not want get off on the wrong foot here,I was in the army for six years done a lot of shooting and have won a lot o shooting awards. I have shot many kinds of
Long guns over the past 63 years, I have heard so much about the.204 and I must say I think people don't even try out things before they talk about it!i have owned a lot of guns but when it comes to the .204 this gun beets them all. I here how it is no good to hunt deer with I just know who ever said that has not done it! I kill about 8 to 12 deer a year I live on the eastern shore in MD our bag limit is if it is brown it's down I make most shots over 100 yards and the .204 never let's me down I Love it! Thanks,
521dvx
.204 Ruger Guns: #1Savage 12LRPV , Ruger #1 , Ruger Hawkeye Predator

Post by 521dvx »

I'm Larry , Central Alabama, I have been shooting my #1 Stainless Varmint for about 6 years. I really enjoy the 204 and I look forward to learning more about it from this site.
JustClint
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Handi Grip Handi Rifle

Post by JustClint »

I'm Clint from Indiana, I've been shooting rifles for about ten years now and hunting for double that, I've always wanted to try the 204 on coyotes so I ended up buying a Handi grip Handi rifle.
Clint
zx10mike
.204 Ruger Guns: TIKKA T3 VARMINT

Post by zx10mike »

hi chaps,i joined years ago but got rid of my 204 so have not been on in a long time.i have spent a couple of years learning with a 223 and spending time on ranges.learned alot about wind doping etc and much much more about reloading so i think i'm ready to do the 204 some justice and in the next couple of weeks plan to pick one up .i'm a tikka man and plan on using barnes varmint grenades 26 grn as i recall how devastating this fast moving little pill was.good to be back and hope to contribute what i have learnt and a few exagerated hunting tales . :D
gp11
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter

Post by gp11 »

Hello Everyone!
I have a small hobby farm and have had issues with various varmints getting into the garden and the chicken coop! I have tried the 17hmr, 22 hornet and 223 but nothing works better than the 204. I also started to get into target shooting in the past few years and I have joined the local range, the 204 does a brilliant job out there as well. I reload all of my ammo and that is why I am here, I would love to find out and try different loads on the 204.
ak11b10
.204 Ruger Guns: tc contender g1 custom 23" .204 ruger

Post by ak11b10 »

live in Alaska, YK delta region (SW)
firearms;
ruger 10/22
marlin 1895 45/70
rem 721 30/06 (expecting back from gunsmith re barrel work)
tc contenders barrels below;
10" 357
super 16 22 hornet
custom MGM 24" 204 ruger
custom EABCO 26" 204 ruger
23" 30/30
23" stainless 375 jdj

i reload for all but not the 357 yet, the 2 custom 204's are new. will develop rounds for them when i get time off from work.