Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
graymist

Post by graymist »

Nothing wrong with the combination of gun nut and teacher. I retired from that honorable profession after 31 years. It's nice to be able to hunt and shoot no matter the time or season. See how my office has changed since I retired.

ohio204shooter

Post by ohio204shooter »

my name is larry and yes i live in ohio. i was looking for information on the .204ruger when i found this sight. i am 37 yrs old and love varmint hunting. i own several other guns and i was going to buy a 223 until i read up on the new 204. i figured i would join the club and try to learn some things about reloading. i am married and have two sons.
Skypilotbc

Post by Skypilotbc »

Welcome :D Larry and captkb
Great to have you guys on board!
Bob
Always lookin' for something to blow a hole in!
Statistics, in the main, are used by rascals to impress fools.
Bob
VHA# 64366
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Yes larry & Captkb. Welcome. Hope you enjoy the Forum. Make sure you check out all the Tabs at the top of the page & all the articles on the front page. Seems like something new gets added every month.

Thanks for picking up my slack Bob. :wink: BTW-- I shot my 1st ground hog Saturday evening with 25.1grs of Re10X & a 40gr Berger @ 3664fps over the distance of 169yds. :eek: A 2 1/2" exit hole at the front shoulder!! I'm gonna try some more too. :D I didn't get a picture & I left it with my brother & nephew for catfish bait that night. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

Larry and captkb:

Welcome! I am a bit late on the welcome because I just spent the last week on an Alaskan Cruise. Just can't have enough good scenery and food, and man, there was plenty of both.

Enjoy the site and hope to hear from you often!
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
bang_off

Post by bang_off »

Hi all,

just noticed this thread and thought I should say hello. :wave:

Another intruder from Australia. :jive:

I have been a shooter since I was a kid and now have various rimfires and a couple of centrefires. I enjoy nothing more than getting out in the bush and bagging a few foxes and bunnies. 8)

I hadn't done much shooting since the late 90's (family, career, etc), but when I started reading the magazines again about a year ago, lo and behold look what had come on the market! The 204 and the 17 HMR.

Had to have both! :wtg:

Simultaneously developed an interst in the H&R/NEF rifles. Never having owned a single shot before ('cept air rifles) these piqued my interest. I have to say they have impressed me with their accuracy.

New to reloading so I'll apologise in advance for the deluge of questions to come. :oops: Just getting the gear together and waiting for some more time when work quietens down to start playing around with loads etc.

Pleased to meet you all.:D
Glen

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forum bang_off. Good Luck with your reloading. Be sure to check out the Tabs at the top of the page.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
95roadking

Post by 95roadking »

Hello Everyone:
My name is John(95 Roadking). I'm 68 yrs. old. Been hunting 53. I also fish ( Lake Erie), target shoot, ride a Harley (since 1961). Archery season start's next Sat. Got a couple nice spot's picked out!!
I have 5 Varmit rifle's. .204 is my favorite, bar none!!! Furthest I got a Ground Hog with .204 this yr. was 340 yds. One shot. Instant kill with 32 V-MAX over 30.8 of BL-C2.
This is a very nice site. Hope to stay awhile. :) 8)
bluebird

Post by bluebird »

G'day all, I sought out this site to learn more about the .204 from people who actually own them.
I'm a a fair bit younger than most of you blokes, so maybe I'll learn more than a few things :)
I'm interested in getting a CZ 527 Varmint, due to the fact that Tikka's arn't chambering for the .204 yet :evil:
I'm from NSW Australia (if you've ever looked at my country its the part on the east coast in the middle ;) )

Cheers
Bluebird
....bang_off...sounds familiar :)
Glen

Post by Glen »

Welcome bluebird. Hope you enjoy the site & learn more than you could ever imagine. This is a good site. Dedication to the 204 is what it has captured in a short period of time.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
trevort
.204 Ruger Guns: stiller predator, lilja no 5 1 in 12

introductions

Post by trevort »

G'day guys. You seem to be attracting a lot of us aussie blokes. I'm a 39 year old Aussie with an Irish accent. Loved guns since i can remember and joined the police in Northern Ireland at 18. Ran around in a bullet proof vest with a ruger 357 magnum revolver in a holster and a Mini 14 223 for 3 years. Luckily never fired a shot in anger. A bit of a spin out at 18 years old but really sunk the gun bug in. My friends tell me I'm the most passionate Aussie they know. Probably because I appreciate how good it is after experiencing that crap. Loved how patriotic you guys were when I visited Pearl harbour and glad to tell you that spirit is growing stronger here. Enough about history now about guns.

As soon as i read a review on the 204 I had to have one. Couldnt afford the VssF, didnt like the look of the Savage and while not too fond of the VT looks settled on it. Only real options with 26inch barrel at time. They so far arent bringing the CZ Varminter into OZ and it seem a lighter more attractive walk about varminter. The VT has performed well. Its the most accurate rifle i have owned/fired and i will echo the member who says a better trigger squeezer would do it better than me. Speaking of triggers, I find it very very user friendly. I am considering ditching the laminated stock for a custom walnut thumbhole job.

I own 5 other guns. I wanted a water proof hunter and setteled on a Rem BDL stainless Syn in 7mm-08. Got a lot of info from Chuck Hawks site but no one in Oz seems to like this calibre (had to mail order ammo as local store didnt stock it).
IAyotehntr

Introduction

Post by IAyotehntr »

New to the site and new to varmint/coyote hunting and was looking for the "right" gun to do some damage to coyotes/fox/groundhogs/crows,etc. and after a little research and talking to some guys that have the .204 and have used them for prairie dogs, I just HAD to have one. I just ordered a package deal (gun&scope) from Savage and am chomping at the bit to get it and get it all cleaned up and broke in at the gun shop. This will be my 1st rifle other than a .22.

I have been hunting on and off since I was a teenager (Rabbit/squirrel/pheasant/deer) and am now 37 and have decided to introduce myself into coyote and turkey hunting as well, I'm an avid bass fisherman also.

I was in the military for close to 10 years and always loved shooting the M-16, and was usually one of the best shooters when we qualified (open sites). Had a brief forray into law enforcement, but decided it wasn't for me, but have always loved guns and shooting, whether it be rifles, shotguns or handguns.

I have been married for 18 years and have 3 great sons (14,11,1 yr olds)
I am a truck driver by trade. I live in SE Iowa.

I tried predator hunting for the very 1st time last week and had success on the 1st attempt, called in a nice red fox, now I'm hooked!
Glen

Post by Glen »

Welcome Aboard IAyotehntr- It's good to have you here & congrats on the new 204. Check the site out real good because there is a lot of very good info here. Let us know how that Savage shoots for you.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
Alan

As of today I'm the newest!

Post by Alan »

Hey Brian, I just went and ordered my .204 today! I am 56 years old and have been hunting since 10. I grew up in Wisconsin and started out on small game. Pheasants and rabbits were everywhere back then. We had a huge fox population when I was in my teens so I bought a .222 Rem. Mag and killed several fox with that rifle but traded it in for a trap gun when I was in my twentys. I got into coon hunting and that took up a good part of my life in the 70's and 80's but then we move further north and I started bow hunting and that became a real passion and still is. What prompted this 204 purchase happened this bow season less than two months ago. My hunting patner was bowhunting behind my house and shot a really nice buck. We went to find it and found that it was still alive. We decided to let it over night and get it in the morning. It was hit really good just wasn't dead. Went back the next morning and it was all ate up. The coyotes ate the whole thing over night. You couldn't make a hamberger with what was left over. Every year there are more and more coyotes and it's getting to a point that we are concerned about letting our house pets out the back door at night.
I hope to learn about coyote hunting here on this forum and I appreciate any help I can get. I am a green horn and will admit it. I'm happy to have found this site as it has been very informative. Keep up the good work and happy shooting. Alan
Glen

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forum 204ForMe. Nice website you got there.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen