Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by Bill K »

Welcome aboard Steve.. Bill K :)
valleyboy
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 Varmint

Post by valleyboy »

Hi Bill,
Here's a bit more about myself. As mentioned, I'm 59 years old, married with two children (grown up) and have 4 grandchildren. I work in the private mental health sector as a nurse. I have been interested in 'guns' since a very young age. I started off with a .177 air pistol, then went onto a .22 air rifle. From there, I bought many shotguns, and joined a shooting club, where I purchased various pistols, including a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag, S&W 686 .357 mag, Browning Hi Power 9mm and many more. Sadly, all these pistols are banned here in the UK. I have been vermin (varmint) shooting for many many years, Our vermin is mainly rabbits, wood pigeon, crow, jackdaw, magpie and rats. I also enjoy hunting our Red Fox, of which there are many 100's in Wales. My average night out, either using my .243 with Pulsar N750a NV scope, or using a lamp. (we call it lamping) is 4 Foxes. I recently bought a Howa 1500 Varmint in .204 calibre, and I'm very impressed with it. I reload my own ammunition, which works out a heck of a lot cheaper that factory produced stuff.
I've also done Deer hunting (Stalking) but not for a few years now. I only wish I had more 'me' time so that I can get out on our mountains and do some hunting. Where I live in Wales, we are surrounded by mountains, and many farmers tend sheep, which in turn attracts Foxes. It's not unusual for me to shoot up to 5 on a good night out, using lamp or NV.
Anything else you would like to know, please ask.

Steve.
Last edited by valleyboy on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Welcome Steve, you can get a wealth of information from the members of this forum. I remember hearing and seeing the destruction of the many firearms, down under. Sad situation indeed. Made me cry seeing this!
On that note, the people in this country need to wake up, or we may see the exact same situation here. I can only earge the members here to join the NRA, if you are not already a member!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

My apology, Steve, when I read your post about the firearms you loved being banned, I had it in my mind, that you were from down under. Like I said, I apologize for my mistake. It is still hard thinking about any firearm being banned to the public.
But like I stated in my previous post, the people in this country better wise up. This election coming up, has terrible consequences, in the way of appointing the Liberal judges that Killery will nominate, if she is elected in November. This can mean all of us, including non gun owners losing our hard fought for freedoms we have in this country. This includes the 1st, 2nd and 4th amendments in the constitution! :mad:

Wise up, America!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
valleyboy
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 Varmint

Post by valleyboy »

It was bad when the [then] government banned pistols. All because of one deranged man who shot and killed many children. The fact that this person should have had his licence revoked many times, is another story. It's the same with Michael Ryan/Hungerford England. He went on a rampage in a quiet town and killed many people. He used pistols and rifles, but the government at the time, banned shotguns that could hold more than three cartridges, despite the fact that he did not have or carry a shotgun!!!!!!
I had to dispose of my pistols as a trade in, and had very little compensation for them. Only the firearm dealers came out on top!
Our firearm laws in the UK, are probably the strictest in Europe, and while agree that there should be such laws to protect owners and the public alike, some of the laws are really stupid. For example, I am 'allowed' to keep 1500 .22LR bullets in my home. Should I go over this limit, even by ONE bullet, I am breaking the law. Another 'stupid' law is that if I wanted to buy a rifle of a certain calibre from a dealer, and I wanted to part exchange a rifle of the same calibre, I cannot do this 'over the counter'. but have to send my licence off to the police to get the original rifle taken off. Then I buy the new rifle and then notify the police that I have bought it! WISE UP AMERICA!

As mentioned previously, I live in South Wales UK, which is a lovely part of the UK. I am surrounded by mountains with most of the land owned by someone. I have many farms that I can shoot on, and a wealth of vermin at my disposal.

Steve.
Hyper
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 ,Bell and Carlson stock,McGowen 1n11 twist barrel.

Post by Hyper »

Good afternoon everyone and Happy labor day.
My name is Mike and I am from Minnesota I am 57 years old married with 4 kids all are grown and left the nest 8). I come from the shotgun shooting sports mainly skeet and sporting clays now I play with small calibers. I shoot Savages and have 2 .223 one fast twist and the other is a slow twist,22-250 fast twist and my new one is the .204. Mostly just shoot paper for groups but was invited PD shooting last year.......HOOKED. Now I had been shooting factory rounds but got my self hooked on reloading and you know the rest of the story...ALL IN.

Thank you admin for access to this site.
Best regards
Mike
brooksb
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M12 FV

Post by brooksb »

I'm Brooks Henderson, I also live in the people's republic of Ca. I'm a prune picker by birth but have worked in other states including Alaska my last job location was in Ca., I retired after 39.5 yrs in Fire Management for the U.S Forest Service as a Division Chief on the Plumas NF. We have a mandatory retirement age of 57 so I been out since 06.

I live in Oroville which is the home of RCBS and Huntington's Sportsman's store. I usually hunt Montana and New Mexico for Elk, and hogs, deer, dove, Pigeon and occasionally waterfowl, and upland game here. From Mid Feb thru most of Aug, I shoot ground squirrels in Lassen and Modoc counties. I used to have a place to shoot Rock Chucks up North but that place doesn't have them anymore so I'm looking. I have among other rifles a Rem 722 in 22-250, when I lived in Siskiyou Co. my buddy and I spotted for each other on Chucks, but squeaker shooting is fast and furious so the 250 I don't use unless i can get my brother to spot, I got a 204 so I can see my shots. Early in the spring, I use a 22lr then the 17hmr later I will add the 204 after June probably this next season.
3rdSFGRetired
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by 3rdSFGRetired »

Hello, my name is Nathan. I just finished 21 year Army career in 3rd Special Forces Group (A). Currently living in Maryville, Tennessee. Im a student in all things shooting. I focus much time, study, resources to precision and accurate shots on target. I'm a stickler and believer in the details. I enjoy the work, preparation and firing precisely where I intend. I know that may sound obvious, however I'm talking about pushing envelope of rifle and more often myself. I've been know to practice hitting dimes at 25 yards with .22lr or 6" steel at 1000 with .243. I just enjoy th challenge and take to the extreme "aim small.. miss small". Anyways, I'm here to gather wisdom and experience from others.
kc0yef
.204 Ruger Guns: building AR platform

Post by kc0yef »

Prior Military
Building a 204 AR platform...
Love Vintage and modern as long it works it ain't got to be pretty.
I love the .222 Rem 40 years as champ but the .204 Ruger has me truly intrigued. A friend of mine suggested this caliber and after doing a tiny bit of research I found my way here.
3rdSFGRetired
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by 3rdSFGRetired »

autoxforfun wrote:Hi Forum. Great to have found a group focused on what looks like a great round. Waiting to get my Savage 12 VLP .204 out of jail here in CA. Have a lot of experience with Savage .223 Rem variant and really like the capability of that combination. I'm looking forward to the .204, especially for 300+yd shots.

Did you get your savage VLP..? I've been so close to getting this rifle, I just can't decide between that and a Ruger varmit/target rifle..
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

3rdSFGRetired wrote:Did you get your savage VLP..? I've been so close to getting this rifle, I just can't decide between that and a Ruger varmit/target rifle..
Nathan: Most here know I'm not a Savage fan, but from the above comment, and all I've seen and read here and other forums, if you want accuracy that's pretty much guaranteed, think "Savage" in this case.

Easier to bed properly, better trigger, and easy caliber change if wanted. Most out of the box Savages will out perform the Ruger almost every time. Just sayin'......... :chin:

JMO JME
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Did you get your savage VLP..? I've been so close to getting this rifle, I just can't decide between that and a Ruger varmit/target rifle..
Pictures, we really appreciate pictures! Without pictures it's hard to form that detailed mental image. Welcome aboard!!
Custom .204 Ruger. Stolle Panda action, Jewel trigger, Shehane Tracker stock, Lilja barrell, Nightforce scope.

Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Skipper. Really like your reloading room, from what I see in the photo. And the rifle looks very good. Thank you for sharing that photo, as you heard we like photo's. Bill K
autoxforfun
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP, Savage Model 12 LRPV, AR-15 w/24"Shilen

Post by autoxforfun »

I have not checked the fourm lately....so my apology on the inquiries into the Savage VLP. Yes I have it and liked it so much that I picked up a Savage LRPV which is a single shot version with a synthetic stock....which I do plan to replace at some point. I been shooting paper out at 300 yards and steel out to 425 yards without any problem. For an out of the box rifle, Savage is a great place start....with a lot of options to make them better. Highly recommend both.
Campower
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Target/Varmint .204 Ruger

Post by Campower »

Hello gents! New to the forum, long time shooter/reloader. Just got a smoking deal on a new Ruger M77 MK2 Hawkeye VT in 204, and waiting for my dies to get here so I can start the fun! Picked up a bunch of hornady 32gr superformance (for barrel break in and brass) Looks like the 39gr SBK is a real popular bullet, and I'm still stuck in what powder to start with.. Hunt coyotes year round so the least temp sensitive with respectable velocities is what I'm after.