Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Buckeye Bill
.204 Ruger Guns: AR

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by Buckeye Bill »

futuretrades,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice on a funnel. I will take a look and order one. You have provided valued information that I appreciate.

Bill
rsbenden
.204 Ruger Guns: TC Venture predator

Post by rsbenden »

I live in uppermost NE Pa. along the shores of Lake Erie and have been a hunter my entire life,I learned to reload my own ammo by 12yrs of age and have owned nearly 75% of all the popular calibers in exsistance. I shot my first deer with a 222 rem,second with a 222mag,since then Ive went through em all and I find myself back at the 222mag necked to .204
Woodchuck hunting is a religious experience for me,I love it and have been hunting them with either a 22lr as akid cuz I had no money which helped me hone my craft,17hmr.223, 22-250 or 243 which are all highly effective.
realizing and knowing the 22-250 andthe 243 ballistically overlap drove me nuts and the muzzleblast from a max load 243/55gr pill kinda thunders residential areas I sometime frequent. as an alternative i tried.223,17hmr.....eh. no reach.I dont like to dial up and want a round effective 0-350 with little or no holdover.

I had been mislead by the"internet experts" on the merits of the .204 and told that the wind blew it round like a leaf,which by the way is what happens w/a .17,I hated that round and had too many crawl offs. Boy were they wrong, after several days of research,which equates to lack of sleep(some of you here will know what Im talkin bout) I took my Savage 22-250 n traded it for a TC Venture predator .204 1-10 twist,(used to have the same rifle in 22-250) 5 boxes of 40gr hornady superformance ammo MOSTLY FOR THE BRASS pound of 8208 XBR n a box of Seirra 39grBK. I topped this rifle with a Nikon monarch 4x16x50sf and after a trigger mod last night she's ready to rip.
I average over 100 woodchucks a summer between Pa.and NY and cant wait to be able to see impact for any necessary adjustments,normally I just hear the thump if i connect and if I miss cant tell where I hit.
Im sure its not as dramatic as a 243 but am excited to try a new caliber thats easier on the ears,less recoil and reaches the distances I shoot with little holdover.
There will be a premium set on shot placement more so with this rifle but Ive always been that way because a 15# woodchuch shot in the guts with a 30-06 is going to get in his hole just as easily. Ive always aimed base of the neck n up. I dont start hunting chucks till the end of turkey season in May so the pups can be weaned and also reseed the feilds for the next yr. Good luck my hunting brothers and remember to leave a few.......
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

First off, Welcome to the 204um. You will find that the people on this site are always willing to help with any problems or thoughts you may have about the 204. I shoot mostly the 32grn V-max, but I do shoot the 39grn SBK's when the wind kicks up or when I shoot targets beyond the 300yd distance. My targets are a lot smaller than your woodchucks, so I don't believe you will see real devastating impacts, that we see out here in the west, on the targets that we shoot. But, the more you shoot that 204, I believe you you will be more than satisfied, and you will fall in "Love" with the round. Your hold over at 300 to 350 yards, with the 39grn pills, is minimal. I sight in, dead on, at 100 yards with my Leupold VH reticle, witch is basically a mil dot scale. My hold over with the 39's is between the cross hair and the first mil dot for ranges between around 250 yards and out to about 300 yards. I use the first mil dot for ranges over 300 yards to around 375 yards. the rest of the mil's I use out 600 yards. Any thing beyond that is purely guess work on my part. Besides, my targets are really hard to see at that range anyway. Our targets out here are about the size of a beer can.
I know, with practice, and getting familiar with the round, that you will be more than able to, "head shoot" your vermin at 300 to 350 yards.
Enjoy the experience with that 204! ;)
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
savgebolt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture , model 12 savage

Post by savgebolt »

Rs,,,,, tell me about your trigger work,,,, i have the venture also,,,, and the trigger sure needs work, do you have any tips
ty ,, Steve
Redhawk75
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa s/s Varminter

Post by Redhawk75 »

New to the 204 & also this forum. Just purchased a stainless Howa varminter with 24" tube. Will only have the rifle home in 4-6 months thanks to our draconian license laws in South Africa, but will lurk here & soak up all the info I can in the interim.
Davelarkins1
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Davelarkins1 »

New to the 204, originally from the uk chasing foxes pigeons etc, for the last 12 years ive been living in Perth Western Australia, here ive been hunting pigs, foxes, roo, feral cats rabbits, mainly use the 243 but found the properties getting smaller and the need for a smaller caliber arose, the 22lr too small and the 243 too big so started researching the 204, last week i picked up a cz527 varmint topped off with a bushnell elite 6-24×50, loaded a few 39gr blitzkings and found a sweet load norma brass federal 205gold and 25.7gr of adi 2206h equivalent to h4895 i believe, .310 of an inch at 100metres was pretty impressed shame about the feeding from the mag
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Redhawk75 wrote:New to the 204 & also this forum. Just purchased a stainless Howa varminter with 24" tube. Will only have the rifle home in 4-6 months thanks to our draconian license laws in South Africa, but will lurk here & soak up all the info I can in the interim.
Welcome to all newcomers! :D Redhawk, when you get that Howa in your hands, I think you will be a very happy guy. I am also shooting a Howa Varminter in 204R. Been shooting this rifle since 2007. With the addition of a Timney trigger set at around 15ozs, and some load work, she will shoot into the .3's with 39SBK's, and under 1/2 inch with 32VMax's all at 100 yards. Let us know when you get your rifle! 8)
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
autoxforfun
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP, Savage Model 12 LRPV, AR-15 w/24"Shilen

Post by autoxforfun »

Hi Forum. Great to have found a group focused on what looks like a great round. Waiting to get my Savage 12 VLP .204 out of jail here in CA. Have a lot of experience with Savage .223 Rem variant and really like the capability of that combination. I'm looking forward to the .204, especially for 300+yd shots.
Mkhead83
.204 Ruger Guns: AR

Post by Mkhead83 »

Just ordered a .204 upper and am excited about this round. I don't reload however and would like to get some .35 berger rounds. HSM doesn't currently have any they told me. Does anyone else sell these? I've ordered some Fiocchi 32gr VMAX but would like some bergers to add to the arsenal. Thanks for anyone who can help me. I'm in the DFW area.
milesh
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 custom 204

Post by milesh »

Hello my name is Miles. I'm from central NY. I live for anything outdoors from hunting, hiking, shooting and camping. I work in a machine shop for my father-in-law as a CNC machinist. I am currently building a 204 on a rem 700 action, Pacnor 1-11 twist match barrel. I have already done the action work myself. My question is does anyone have a 204 match finish reamer i can rent? I also reload for my other rifles using Hornady comparator so any starting load recipes would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help,
Miles
Speak softly and carry a big stick
A fool's lips bring him strife and his mouth invites a beating
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Welcome aboard.

I can't help out at all with the reamer portion but under "Reloading the 204" tab there is some info there regarding some loads.

HTH
milesh
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 custom 204

Post by milesh »

Thanks I'll do some searching. Going with the match chamber I plan on getting rid of alot of the freebore. Just want to be cautious of pressure you know.
Speak softly and carry a big stick
A fool's lips bring him strife and his mouth invites a beating
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

If you go with short throats the published reload data will probably be of little use because the cartridge and ballistics were developed with the long throat and 32 grain bullets.

HTH
Sigfla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ custom

Post by Sigfla »

Hello all. Been lurking for some time thought I should introduce myself. My name is Sam and I currently have 3 .204's including my wifes and am trying to resist another CZ 527. I am about to begin reloading and will likely have plenty of questions. I got hooked this year on a Groundhog hunt and even though I had my .243 with me I couldn't put the .204 in the rack no matter the distance. I was hooked at the first pull of the trigger. Looking forward to hand loading my own and getting the most out of my guns. Next project will likely be to re-barrel my 527 with a 1/11 Pac Nor. Shooting lefty limits me in many respects to gun choice however in this instance I am more than happy with CZ. Just wish they would release a HB varmint in lefty, lol.
valleyboy
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 Varmint

Post by valleyboy »

Hi Guys,
My name is Steve, and I'm from Wales, UK.I'm a very young 59 year old and have been shooting since the age of 12. I recently bought a Howa 1500 Varmint in .204 Ruger, and I'm impressed with the rifle and the calibre. I have used many other calibres over the years, and currently own a Tikka T3 Lite in .243, a CZ 527 in .22 Hornet and a CZ 452 in .22LR. In the past, I have also owned a .22-250 and .308.
I look forward to this forum.