Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Redleg11B
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender 23" .204 barrel

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by Redleg11B »

I never really considered the 204R until recently. I have always been a big fan of the .223, 22Hornet, etc. cartridges. I recently traded a Contender barrel set up for one in .204 as a just to have thing. I have been doing some reading and figured out this may actually get put to use once this nonsense dies down. I have been hunting/shooting for 25 years, but realize there is always something new to learn. Look forward to learning and sharing as time permits.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Redleg: As much as I enjoy and like the .223, when you start shooting the 204R you are going to find yourself shooting it more, less recoil, overall better accuracy and it reaches out so much better/flatter and those critters just to some great acrobatics when it with a 32 or 39 grain bullet. :D :D Bill K :)
BackStabber
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 12 Savage and White Oak

Post by BackStabber »

Hello from Oregon

My favorite thing in the world besides motorcycles is shooting squeaks. My favorite gun is a model 12FV savage .204 that I put into a LP stock with a 15 round clip.The Savage A17 is my 2nd favorite and the Stag model 6 is number 3. I am putting together a .204R in an AR platform using a white oak 26" 1X10 twist upper and a RRA lower with there varmint 2 stage trigger which I love (Stag used RRA trigger in there model 6 AR ) I am hoping I can still shoot the Fiocchi 32 grain v-max in the 1X10 twist barrel We will have to wait and see
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Welcome aboard BackStabber. I look forward to laying eyes on some of those sweet rifles you mentioned. Most members here would be happy to help you spend some of your hard earned cash on acquisitions and upgrades. Pictures are always welcomed and enjoyed on this forum.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Backstabber....what part of Orygun are you located?

Long time resident of central OR, rabid rat shooter, at it now since 1968. "The most fun you can have with a rifle". :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

BackStabber

Post by BackStabber »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:53 am Backstabber....what part of Orygun are you located?

Long time resident of central OR, rabid rat shooter, at it now since 1968. "The most fun you can have with a rifle". :wink:
Im in Corvallis. I am going to be in Crane this Thursday, Friday and Saturday shooting. I am always looking for new spots. We are staying at crystal springs and paying this time. I agree its best thing you can do. 32 grain V-max does some spectacular things to the hapless Sage Rat. I go every year at least twice. The pandemic has screwed my season. What do you think about the 1X10 twist 26" barrel and the 32 grain bullet? I already ordered so I guess doesnt matter but I am a bit nervous about it.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

BackStabber wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:42 pmThe pandemic has screwed my season. What do you think about the 1X10 twist 26" barrel and the 32 grain bullet? I already ordered so I guess doesnt matter but I am a bit nervous about it.
We cancelled our week long rat trip this year because of the $%^&^%^ virus. We heard that the folks in E. OR really don't want outsiders coming over there this year, so we'll hit 'em hard next year. Pity, as we have one entire ranch to ourselves, and it's LOADED with rats.

As for that 10 twist barrel, have no worries, it'll do just fine, and now you'll have the ability to shoot about any weight bullet you want in it. My 11-twist thrives on the 40's, and that ten twist will not blow up the 32's from what I've heard from others using that twist. Mine shoots the 32's just fine. The rats will just explode a bit better with that ten twist. :wink:

Corvallis eh? So, you're one of those guys we call "western poachers" and come over here and kill all OUR rats! :eek: Just kiddin' hope you have a good shoot, and be sure to post pics when you get back.

Just curious, what's up with your screen name?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

BackStabber

Post by BackStabber »

BackStabber wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm Just curious, what's up with your screen name?

Its has to do with online gaming its just a name I have used for 20 years or more. Same name I use every where.
[/quote]
Attachments
guywithabigknife4.JPG
guywithabigknife4.JPG (21.17 KiB) Viewed 177670 times
yougothim!
.204 Ruger Guns: none- but soon

Post by yougothim! »

Hi to All!
I just saw this forum as I was scouting around to buy my first 204. I hope to get lots of tips and trick especially with reloading. I have done a bunch of shotgun reloading and my Dad left me an old rockchucker, so I plan on tuning that up and giving it a try.

Just got back from my first dog hunt in Wyoming up by the Buffalo/Arvada area and had a blast. My back door neighbor invited me to join some of his firemen buddies who have be going for the last couple of years. Shot my Savage 93R17, my neighbors A17 and my Ruger Predator in 223. My Savage crushed the dogs and my longest with the 17 was 248 yards with about 10mph of wind.

Asking the guide at Bear Track Outfitters what he liked to shoot dogs with and he gave the 204 a resounding thumbs up.

Has anyone on the forum dropped a 204 into a Chassis? I am thinking of getting the Ruger Predator in 204 and maybe putting it into a MDT LSS-XL Gen2 chassis. Any thoughts?

Cheers and Happy Independence Day!
Brion
skipper

Post by skipper »

Welcome aboard youngothim! Got any pictures of that hunt. We just LOVE PICTURES. You'll find a wealth of 204 knowledge here.
yougothim!
.204 Ruger Guns: none- but soon

Post by yougothim! »

skipper wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:06 pm Welcome aboard youngothim! Got any pictures of that hunt. We just LOVE PICTURES. You'll find a wealth of 204 knowledge here.
Here are a few pics.

We saw many Antelope, White Tale, Black tail deer, Elk, Coyote, Badger and lots of prairie rats (less now). Scenery was spectacular.
Attachments
sites.jpg
sites.jpg (637.44 KiB) Viewed 175697 times
Rockchuck victim.jpg
Rockchuck victim.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 175697 times
Dog victim.jpg
Dog victim.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 175697 times
Me with the Savage 17.jpg
Me with the Savage 17.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 175697 times
The set up.jpg
The set up.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 175697 times
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Great looking area, thanks for sharing those, now if I can just get them regulated in the upright position. Bill K
skipper

Post by skipper »

The first picture really makes me want to get out and reconnoiter the area. Simply gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

I live on a small ranch in Kansas with my wife. I have a food plot for deer and a 100 yard range I shoot on. Comes in handy to test my handloads.

I have done a lot of coyote hunting but took up duck hunting a while back and it cut into my varmint hunting.

An old friend and hunting buddy of mine is selling off some stuff as he is getting old. He offered me his CZ 527 in .204 Ruger. It shoots lights out. So I should have it next week. I am excited to load it and shoot it. I have a 300 yard target at my cousins place.

Any ideas tips or tricks are appreciated. I know the gun likes 32 gr v max and I will start there, hoping to try some 35 Berger's next.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Check out some of the Loading manuals ( know you have them) and give CFE 223 or Xterminator a go, it works super in my 204's. Bill K