45 gr Hornady factory load

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
GlennGTR
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 ultralight all weather

45 gr Hornady factory load

Post by GlennGTR »

Im hunting predators this winter to include cougar.Some critters I dont want to blow the hide clean to smitherens on.Like the coug or bob cats.Has anyone shot the 45gr Hornady factory load in the 204?What kind of accuracy and terminal results did you have? All posts welcome
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Re: 45 gr Hornady factory load

Post by bullfrog »

Haven't tried em yet, but I will be interested to know how they work for you. Seems like they should hold up better than some of the lighter bullets. But for pelts, they might be a little much on bobcats if you are real picky, and for lions the .204 seems a little small. It doesn't take much if you have them treed or in close range, but usually they don't give you much time if they come into a call.
I've only shot 1 bobcat with my .204 and it was a factor 40 grain vmax. Almost blew her whole leg off. :?
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
UTcaller
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Re: 45 gr Hornady factory load

Post by UTcaller »

I've had mixed results with the 45 grain factory ammo.First 8 coyotes were bang/flops with little damage to the pelt.But the last 2 or 3 ran about 15-20 yards after they were hit with more damage to pelt than i like.The last ones were hit very well not poor shot placement or anything like that.Could have just been a fluke,I have since went back to the 35 grain bergers, they put them down(DRT)and pelt damage is non existent.

Good Hunting Chad