Vmax ok for coyotes?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Flash
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS

Vmax ok for coyotes?

Post by Flash »

I just switched to Hornady 40grain Vmax ammo and hit and lost a coyote at 180 yards or so. (My rifle is still throwing an occassional bullet so I can't be sure of shot placement). My buddy said it is because Vmax are for praire dogs and rabbits only. Any input? I'm using my 204 for coyotes only and am trying to come up with the most accurate and lethal factory ammo. Thanks and happy holidays!
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: Vmax ok for coyotes?

Post by Vartarg »

Based on anecdotal, rather than personal, experience I'd suggest you try Hornady's 45gr spire point round. I've gotten excellent accuracy from my handloads of their 45gr bullet, and expect the factory ammo will shoot well.
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
RacefacE

Post by RacefacE »

ive heard 39gr sierras do the trick quite well 8)
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Flash, I've shot 8 coyotes with vmax bullets, and the only one that I lost was a running shot at about 300 yards. I hit that one to far back and then missed the follow up shot as he was nipping at the wound. It's all about shot placement. Just make a good shot, then get ready to shoot again, and you'll be fine. Truth is, in my opinion, all factory bullets, save the 45 grain already mentioned, are pdog bullets. I will probably try the 45's at some point. I just bought some 39 bk's, because I want to see if they are fur friendlier than the vmax. It's tough, if your like me and don't handload. I hope to start handloading next year so I can try bergers, etc.
However, if you really don't want your coyotes to get away ever, just shoot them with your elk rifle.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
jayph
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jayph »

I had a buddy that was shooting blitz kings (same idea as the v-max) out of his .220 swift and we actually had a bullet come apart on the hide and make a small surface wound. He put him down with a second shot thats how we know. I got curious and emailed Sierra. If the v-max is the same I would say switch to a berger hp. Not saying everyone should run out and switch bullets just some info I had. Heres the exact reply from the email

"Hi Jason,
This is one time when the internet was right.Sometimes the BK's will start expanding right on the surface of the fur.With a coyote carrying his heaviest fur then,sometimes the BK's just don't get deep enough on a coyote.A better all around bullet for coyotes in winter is the 55 HPBT."

He says the internet was right cause after this happened I did some research and found other reports of the same thing happening with tipped bullets and high velocity rounds. So I included that with our expierience and said. I don't believe everything I read so I came right to the source.

Hunting shack montana loads the 40gr berger hp in there ammo. If your gun groups the 40gr well you could go that route if your not reloading yet.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I use both the 32gr & 40gr Vmax but like the 32gr best. If you hit a coyote to far back they can run a long way. I cut opened the last three coyotes that I shot to look at there guts there intestines where completely empty so empty they where flat. If you put a bullet through this area it has little effect. I lost several coyotes that I hit to far back using a 243 and a 223. I believe a lot of these coyotes are running on empty guts. So bullet placement is very important. Heart, neck and head shots seem to do the job dropping them on the spot. Most of the hits with the 32gr Vmax show no exit and hard to find entrance wounds they work for me.
erslll
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by erslll »

I have had very good luck with 40gr V-max factory loads on coyotes. I would guess that I have killed 10 in the last 2 years with them and probably 7-8 have dropped dead with out any exit holes. The other 2-3 were poor shot placement that could not be blamed on the bullet.
howler

Post by howler »

Up until a few days ago I would have defended the 39 grain blitzkings but yesterday I had 2 splash wounds and one got away, I did shoot 6 with the 39'rs and had good results, I'm not sure what to think but I shooting 35 berger HP's for the rest of the year and going to try to shoot the 40 grain Bergers HP's next year, As for factory Ammo thats good advice for the 45 grain soft points, here is a pic of the splash wound, the pic is a little to close but it is certainly more than a small entrance wound,

Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Ditto the HSM ammo loaded with Berger HPs. Also you might try the Win. 34gr HP. I only managed to get one coyote while I was on factory ammo but I hit one badly (too far back) and it didn't go anywhere, just spun around a bit. Plus the 34s are the cheapest factory ammo I ever found.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.