204 Ruger SCN Match Reamer Available

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
ivob
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Re: 204 Ruger SCN Match Reamer Available

Post by ivob »

not sure to post here or not but what would be the lightest barrel for the 204. I wanted to build an ultra-light rifle but the barrel maker will not go this light. Here are the specs:
Breech 1.25, Breech length 2.25, Muzzle diameter 0.56, Finished length 24, Neck length 6.00 and finally Neck diameter 0.76 the barrel should weigh in at 2.5 pounds.
Not worried about barrel heating up since I will not do more than 2-3 shots coyote hunting in a day and maybe 6 cold bore shots sighting in/new load. He would build one with a Breech length 2.75, Muzzle diameter 0.60 and finally neck diameter 0.80. This barrel would be used on a Tikka T3 action.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I would guess the lightest barrel would be the one you want and you can find a gunsmith that would make it for you. Otherwise you will have to go with what they would make and do for you.
Don't think a light barrel, used as you want and say would hurt at all. It will be just finding a smith that will do it, as you want.
ivob
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by ivob »

ended up with the one he would do however am going to have my gunsmith trim down the breach from 1.250 to 1.120 so it would mate up perfectly to my receiver and fit into the t3 stock. It's a 12 twist barrel since the bullets i will be shooting will be under 35 grains - not worried about the heavier one's (39-40 grains)

i am not sure whether to go with a sammi spec reamer or have a custom reamer with zero free bore
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Pacific Tool & Gauge makes reamers. They have all the specs for several 204 reamer designs that will let you reach the lands and grooves. Then you can save the reamer afterwards for another chamber later down the road.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Shotter124
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Tikka T3

Post by Shotter124 »

How is the build on this barrel going?
Interested in the final results
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Shotter124 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:59 pmHow is the build on this barrel going? Interested in the final results
With my personal reamer designed from Todd's SCN 204 Match drawing, my P/N 11-twist on my SS M700 turned out most excellent, shooting consistently in the .2's and low .3's. It's been used in the rat patch every year since new, and is still turning in dinky one-hole groups and launching grass rats with enthusiasm. I can reach the lands with even the 32gr bullets; the way the thing should have been designed in the first place. Shooting the 39gr and the 40's is no biggie, it shoots them all.

So if you're looking for the "After Action Report", I'll report that all is well, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Although I'm certain the rats feel much differently...... :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails