Any washintonians

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

Any washintonians

Post by ultralightshooter »

Anybody from washington state or anyone who knows anything about it? know where a guy can find some rock chucks, gophers / sage rats? theres not to many where im at and i want to find a better place where there more targets. :D any places in lincoln county or near it would help. thanks
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Any washintonians

Post by WrzWaldo »

I'm up just a little south of Bellingham. Not much in the small varmint category up here. We do have cats and yotes.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

ultralight: Buddy, you need to study up on the varmints you seek (library, google, Natl Geo.com). Sage rats and rock chucks like arid climates, and irrigated fields are a prime food source. The area you live does not support these varmints, maybe some nutria, ravens, crows, magpies, etc., but none of the rodents you want live anywhere near you.

Read up, and do like the rest of us....go out on your own, drive the back roads, knock on doors and ask permission when you find a promising area. Nobody on the internet is going to tell you where their honey-hole is, much less a place thick with targets. All of my prime varmint fields were found the hard way.....by myself in the truck driving around, glassing, and knocking on doors.

Of course with gas prices being the way they are at present, you may be sticking closer to home and shooting targets with your favorite varmint on it. :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

I went to HS in Wilbur and know there aren't many rock chuck around there, if you get towards odessa start scanning the basalt, they love it. Plenty dry on the eastside of the state.

Everyone seems to think just because we're from WA that its cold and wet all the time, there are other places in WA besides the 206. Oh the prejudice.
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

S.rookie: That's what I'm saying....you have to get out of the rain forest to find good varmint shooting. I'm originally from Vancouver BC, and same there...too wet for good rodent shooting, you just have to get away from the far west side and drive a bit.

No prejduice, just geographical fact. It's the same here in Oregon for that matter.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

ultralightshooter

Thats weird Savage rookie, i went to HS in Creston! I live down at lincoln on the river. Were u raised in or around Wilbur? What year did u graduate?
savage rookie

Post by savage rookie »

I graduated in 2003, I from Keller actually. When were you at creston? I'm sure we've met or at least know of each other its a small world.
ultralightshooter

what is your name and age savage rookie? did you hunt much over on the res around keller?
savage rookie

Post by savage rookie »

Paige Caudell-23

No I was just a White Boy growing up on the rez, tagged along on alot of hunts with friends though.
ultralightshooter

welll savage im jabe and i have heard of you but i dont think i ever meet you before. i think you graduated with nathan deboard from creston, im pretty good friends with him. there are some huge deer on that rez, wish i could hunt it.
ultralightshooter

well rick i dont live in the rain forest. i live on the east side of washington and theres some rock chucks just not tons and no sage rats/ gophers, so i was just asking for some info on any areas i should try.
savage rookie

Post by savage rookie »

Yeah I know your name, I was a year before nathen and a year behind Levi, I graduated with Sherwood and finch.

Yeha there are some big bucks over in Keller, too bad the colvilles don't believe in game management.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ultra - Well then, as you don't have webbed feet, for rockchucks you might try the undeveloped areas of Mt. Baker up in the alpine meadows, as it harbors a good population of rock chucks (later in the year after snowmelt of course). Try just above timberline, and below it in some of the meadows that have those rocky outcroppings on your east side of the big hill.

As for gophers or squirrels, look for some of the ranches over on your side that raise alfalfa hay, especially those that have irrigation pivots set up. That should get you into some squirrels.

I don't get up there much anymore, so things may have changed over the years, but I hope this helps a tad.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA