Groundhog Shooting Distance

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Groundhog Shooting Distance

Post by darchell »

What would you folks say is the maximum distance for the 204 on Eastern Ground hogs. As big as 9- 10 pounds. I realize shooting long distance takes practice etc. but all things being equal how far would you say the maximum range would be. I shoot the 35 grain bergers. Would 400 yards be on the long end or could it go 500 or so? Just looking for opinions.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Groundhog Shooting Distance

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well, I've only shot your chucks with a .243 Varmint in Tennessee and Virginia, but I've shot our western rockchucks out to 525 yards here using the Sierra 39gr BK, and Mr. Chuck was DRT.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

This is just my experiences with Ohio groundhogs & the 204. If I had a place to shoot them at 400+yds I would opt for the 39gr BK's in MY rifle. I did notice the 32gr V-Max seems to run out of drop dead steam somewhere around the 300yd mark on groundhogs. I have killed them that far out with the 32's but I didn't like the results. 3 got in the hole on me & the other 6 were able to go as much as 10yds. Coulda been me & bullet placement but I don't have anchor problems past 300 with the 39gr BK's.

HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

We've gotten a few of our rockchucks at 500+. My dad shot one a couple years ago at 518 with the 35 Bergers and it was DRT. We went out a week ago and our buddy hit one at 524 with the 39 SBKs and it was DRT. I also hit one that day at 550 with the 39ers and it took it in the butt, but it made jelly out of it's insides. That one only made it about 8-10 yards before expiring. So, yes the .204 can take our slightly smaller rockchucks out at those distances.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

It has been my impression that 204 bullets with the commonly used 1 in 12 twist may become unstable after about 500 yards. While this conclusion is not based on extensive experience, this was our conclusion after trying to reach longrange rockchucks with 204s with 1 in 12 twists shooting both 32 and 40 grain bullets. The range was 600 to 650 yards, and no matter how much elevation we gave our rifles, the bullets fell short. We could see the puffs of dust in the alfalfa field where they hit well short of the chucks. It was our conclusion that the bullets became unstable after falling in velocity, started wobbling, and then began tumbling. Accordingly, I began to wonder if a faster twist may be better.

I would be interested to hear others' experiences and opinions with the 204 at longrange.

By the way, some of these better fed western rockchucks reach over 15 lbs. There is a rockchuck derby near here in a few weeks. It is a fundraiser for a scholarship fund, and last year was the first year it was held, and over $15,000 was raised. The record chuck was 15 lbs. 8 oz. 15 1/2 lbs! We will try to beat that this year.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Post by chuckhunter »

The farthest I've shot New York woodchucks is 370 yds using 32 sbk's drt.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

stevecrea wrote:It has been my impression that 204 bullets with the commonly used 1 in 12 twist may become unstable after about 500 yards.
If thats the case, I'll plan for a rebarrel on my 700. The question then becomes what type of chamber. I've had good luck with Kreiger & Obermeyer barrels. So if I'm luck, I'll snag one of those but I'm open to others based on experiences.

Jim
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Steve I heard about the rockchuck derby. I was thinking about going, but don't have any spots and thought it might not be good to wipe out the population early? Anyway, do you know if the 15 pounder was shot on a pivot or what? The biggest we ever killed was 12.5 pounds, it wasn't on a pivot though.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

Verminator2:

I just now saw your post. You can get on rockchuckderby.com to get the details about the derby. It is April 24-26 this year, and there are many prizes.

It has been my experience that the biggest and heaviest chucks have alfalfa as their main food source. It is much higher protein than grass, and thus will grow much larger specimens. One of my friends said he just got a 16 pounder, although the scales was not a precision instrument.

You are wise and judicious in not shooting them too early in the spring before they have time to breed and have their litters.

Good luck if you go.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")