In regards to for sale post.

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

In regards to for sale post.

Post by rpknaz »

http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6581

While I would not pay that price. Remember guys that the market will bare what the market will bare. Only you can allow yourself to be taken advatage of. So my question is why would you crap in this guy's for sale post?
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.
cracker

Re: In regards to for sale post.

Post by cracker »

For the same reason I will not shop at places that are taking advantage of a bad situation. For some one to walk into a gun shop buy all the primers on the shelf so there are none for the next guy who walks in, then sells them for double or triple what they payed for them is not right. How bout I buy all the primer, set up a table on the sidewalk of the shop I bought them at and triple the price. WE have a shop here that is a little bit more price wise then the other area shops but they will only sell 1000 primers to a single customer and they only are charging the price that they did before all this started and they get most of my business because they are stand up people. I for one do not buy into "what the market will bare" B.S.
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Bitman
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF

Post by Bitman »

rpknaz wrote: http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6581

While I would not pay that price. Remember guys that the market will bare what the market will bare. Only you can allow yourself to be taken advatage of. So my question is why would you crap in this guy's for sale post?

If your referring to my comment, it wasn't my intention to crap on his post.
I just thought he was asking way to much for the primers.
But I guess your right, I should have kept my mouth shut.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

I didn't comment in the original thread, but I believe that another factor was this being the OP's very first post on the forum. I can easily see how a brand new member selling something well above "market value" would rub people the wrong way. Time will tell us if the OP plans to stick around and be a part of the forum, or if he dropped by to dump his goods and then go about his business.
rpknaz

Post by rpknaz »

cracker wrote: How bout I buy all the primer, set up a table on the sidewalk of the shop I bought them at and triple the price.
I say go for it. This a free market capitalist society but I wouldn't buy from you.
cracker wrote: WE have a shop here that is a little bit more price wise then the other area shops but they will only sell 1000 primers to a single customer and they only are charging the price that they did before all this started and they get most of my business because they are stand up people.
It is their business they can do what they want but I also think limits are wrong.

cracker wrote: I for one do not buy into "what the market will bare" B.S.
Sorry but it is not BS. You, me and others said we would not buy at his prices. But others did, according to him. And those who did buy, probably felt that things being the way they are, thought that is was a deal. Primers on gunbroker are even more than what he was asking. Free market at work, weather you like it or not.

Also, I think this site and it's users are great, the camaraderie and information here is second to none.
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.
Mike

Post by Mike »

rpknaz wrote:
cracker wrote:Free market at work, weather you like it or not.
One more thought and I'll quit beating this horse...

I completely agree with your support of the free market. However, you're ignoring another key aspect of that system. People have an equal right to voice opinions about the prices being offered. If the free market offers primers at a better price than what the OP is offering, consumers have a right to tell him and every other interested party. Freedom cuts both ways.
rpknaz

Post by rpknaz »

Mike wrote:
rpknaz wrote:
cracker wrote:Free market at work, weather you like it or not.
One more thought and I'll quit beating this horse...

I completely agree with your support of the free market. However, you're ignoring another key aspect of that system. People have an equal right to voice opinions about the prices being offered. If the free market offers primers at a better price than what the OP is offering, consumers have a right to tell him and every other interested party. Freedom cuts both ways.
Well you got me there but I was hoping that the members here were above that. Just politely and silently say, Thanks but no thanks.
Mike

Post by Mike »

rpknaz wrote:Well you got me there but I was hoping that the members here were above that. Just politely and silently say, Thanks but no thanks.
Yes, I understand your intentions and don't mean to split hairs. I personally agree with your sentiment. I just felt that it was only fair to mention both aspects of the free market as they apply to the thread in question.

In the end, the primers seem to have found new homes and everyone appears happy. The free market prevails again!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I hope the person who posted that ad doesn't think we are unfriendly. Some may have thought those prices were unfriendly, and we are protective of our friends.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Mike wrote:I didn't comment in the original thread, but I believe that another factor was this being the OP's very first post on the forum. I can easily see how a brand new member selling something well above "market value" would rub people the wrong way. Time will tell us if the OP plans to stick around and be a part of the forum, or if he dropped by to dump his goods and then go about his business.
If he had come on here and offered to give something of value away on his first post....would he then be one of the nicest people you've never met?

As for the popular internet argument that hoarders are the cause of the primer shortage is like saying that people who planned ahead and bought a few extra occasionally - even when primers were plentiful - are guilty for poor decision making on the part of others.

To me those who are wining the loudest about the primer issue are those who kept themselves in the dark - for whatever reasons - about what was going to happen. It was pretty obvious as far back as about 2 years ago that we were going to have a Democratic President and Congress. Nothing good for gun owners ever comes from that combination.

And no, cracker, I didn't buy all or YOUR primers so you can't have any. When I was buying enough to keep me shooting through this drought, the shelves were full for everyone. Some folks were just wise enough to do something...others stood around with their hands somewhere else and lost out when the crunch hit... It's called advance planning/being prepared in some circles...hoarding in others...

-BCB
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Bayou City Boy wrote: As for the popular internet argument that hoarders are the cause of the primer shortage is like saying that people who planned ahead and bought a few extra occasionally - even when primers were plentiful - are guilty for poor decision making on the part of others.
-BCB
Yep. I didn't see the price before the add was edited/pulled but I started stocking up on primers back in 2006, not because they were scarce (they were quite plentiful) but because of the soaring prices. I just figured they weren't getting any cheaper. So I ordered some of every flavor (SR, LR, SP LP) and have plenty. I did the same with jacket 45 bullets, 22 rifle ammo and 17 HMR ammo.

I wish I would have ordered more gun powder especially Varget (for my 308 bolt gun) but I didn't because I wasn't shooting it as much. But I didn't, and thats the way it goes. I'll just have to subsitute with RE-15, H4895, VV N540, VVN135 or IMR4064. They all work but the main reason I didn't is because I just wasn't crazy about keeping to much of that stuff around the house.

Regarding the political climate, after the 2006 elections it should have been obvious the pendilum was swinging the other way.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Bayou City Boy wrote:If he had come on here and offered to give something of value away on his first post....would he then be one of the nicest people you've never met?
With all due respect, that's not much of a counter point. The fact is that the guy didn't come on here and offer to give anything away. I'm not suggesting that he's a bad guy, though. I don't know him from Adam and he might be the nicest guy I've never met.

I don't have a dog in this hunt. I'm not shopping for primers and I couldn't care less what they're trading hands for right now. I'm simply pointing out why some people may have had their feathers ruffled by the ad.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Mike wrote:
Bayou City Boy wrote:If he had come on here and offered to give something of value away on his first post....would he then be one of the nicest people you've never met?
With all due respect, that's not much of a counter point. The fact is that the guy didn't come on here and offer to give anything away. I'm not suggesting that he's a bad guy, though. I don't know him from Adam and he might be the nicest guy I've never met.

I don't have a dog in this hunt. I'm not shopping for primers and I couldn't care less what they're trading hands for right now. I'm simply pointing out why some people may have had their feathers ruffled by the ad.
With all due respect, I wasn't trying to provide the world's greatest counterpoint to what you said...

The only point I was making is than no one - whether they believe they have a dog in the hunt or not - has the right to decide how much a person asks for something they're selling. But some folks feel that because he's asking more than they want to pay for something they obviously want that it gives them the right to judge the person... who they don't even know...in an unfair manner.

-BCB