First 204

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: First 204

Post by Jim White »

I have three 204’s, two Remington 700 (VLTHSS) both from Cabela’s used gun rack and a CZ-527 American purchased used but only fired 10 times.

Remington;

- The 1st Remington was previously owned, the other was brand new (even came with the box). The first one needed a new crown. Since I bed all of my rifles I had that done as well as free floating the barrel. The trigger was adjusted down to approx 2 lbs. This thing shoots. The dinged crown, who knows how it got there. Oh, I got this rifle for considerably less than retail.

- The 2nd Remington was NIB. With the exception of the crown it was just like the 1st one. Bedded and free floated and she too is a hammer. The trigger, same adjustments as the 1st. Oh, and I also got this rifle for considerably less than retail.

Never used their customer service.

CZ

- My only CZ needed bedding and free floating. Afterwards, it too shout very well. A couple of concerns for the CZ 527’s;

- The bolt handle angle may require some modifications to clear the scope.
- The set trigger may be a tad awkward for small hands

I used CZ’s customer service to modify my bolt handle. They do have folks there willing to talk and help with issues or just advice and ideas.

Savage

- I have to Savage 17 HMR’s. I like them but, three years ago there customer service department was unresponsive to letters, email and phone calls. In three years, they still haven’t answered my concerns. Since then, I always think about that when I see a Savage.

Accuracy. With regards to the CZ and Remington’s all of these rifles shoot but to achieve the best results, one should plan on reloading. The Savage 17 HMR’s shoot outstanding as well.

HTH,
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Jim White wrote:Accuracy. With regards to the CZ and Remington’s all of these rifles shoot but to achieve the best results, one should plan on reloading. The Savage 17 HMR’s shoot outstanding as well.
Jim,

It would be helpful (to me, at least) if you posted some specific numbers with regard to the accuracy of those rifles.

Thanks,
Mike
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

No problem Mike. They're not at my hand right now but if you don't see them by Mon night, shoot me a PM as a reminder.

Jim
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

FWIW: re. C-Z bolt handle clearance: www.jamescalhoon.com ; just twist the handle from the bolt and send it to 'em, around $50 with shipping/priority mail (exchange), about a week for mine.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I think the Savages have a slight accuracy advantage in my case, but that is also comparing a 223 to 204s. I like Savages because I get good accuracy and "I" can change the barrels myself. I totally put my 20 VarTarg together myself, shoots great and gives me added satisfaction. I like the over sized bolts and smooth actions. The newer Savages are much better than they were prior to the accutrigger.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

RowdyYates wrote:FWIW: re. C-Z bolt handle clearance: http://www.jamescalhoon.com ; just twist the handle from the bolt and send it to 'em, around $50 with shipping/priority mail (exchange), about a week for mine.
Better than that, contact CZ Customer Service, tell them the problem and send it in and let them modify it for you, free of charge. The did for me and all I paid was shipping to get it there. I did this back in FEB or MAR of this year.

Jim
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Mike wrote:
Jim White wrote:Accuracy. With regards to the CZ and Remington’s all of these rifles shoot but to achieve the best results, one should plan on reloading. The Savage 17 HMR’s shoot outstanding as well.
Jim,

It would be helpful (to me, at least) if you posted some specific numbers with regard to the accuracy of those rifles.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, here's a few loads for you. All 5-shot groups are at 200 yards with no fliers and are in inches("), not [MOA]. The 2nd Remington has-not had the various test the CZ and the 1st 204 have had. MAybe this year I can get around to it.

CZ-527(A);-H4895; (27.8 grains), RP-case, 39 SBK, Primer Rem 7 1/2, 200 yards;
HOR; .281” VERT; .266”

-RE-15; (28.0 grains), RP-case, 39 SBK, Primer Rem 7 1/2, 200 yards;
HOR; .458” x VERT; .202”

-RE-15; (27.8 grains), WW-case, 39 SBK, Primer Rem 7 1/2, 200 yards;
HOR; .335” x VERT; .468”

Remington 700 VLTHSS (1st)

-H4895; (27.5 grains), RP-case, 39 SBK, Primer Rem 7 1/2, 200 yards;
HOR; .461” VERT; .374”

-Benchmark; (25.5 grains), RP-case, 39 SBK, Primer Rem 7 1/2, 200 yards;
HOR; .300” VERT; .218”

-RE-15; (27.9 grains), RP-case, 39 SBK, Primer Rem 7 1/2, 200 yards;
HOR; .279” x VERT; .394”

Remington 700 VLTHSS (2nd)

-Benchmark; (25.8 grains), RP-case, 39 SBK, Primer Rem 7 1/2, 200 yards;
HOR; .427” VERT; .202”

-RE-15; (27.6 grains), RP-case, 39 SBK, Primer Rem 7 1/2, 200 yards;
HOR; .341” x VERT; .587”
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Thanks for those details, Jim. Nice shooting!
mshelton
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by mshelton »

Well, went to the gunshow this weekend and had decided that if there was a Cooper 204 there then I would pick it up.
I should have know better, gunshows today are far from the ones of my youth.

Anyhow, I walked by a CZ dealers boot and there it was sitting, what I thought I could not get according to CZ's website. A 527 Varmint .204 in a laminated stock (website only lists the .223 in that stock). It was $30 more than the regular walnut stock so I ended up picking it up. Felt pretty good about it, pretty happy I saw it with the stock I wanted, nice wide forearm, straighter grip, palm swell and laminate all $200 cheaper than the kevlar.

I took it out with some 32g Vmaxs, scrubbed it out, then did the 1 shot and clean thing for 5 shots, 5 shots the clean for 25 shots, then 10 shots and clean for 40 shots. Produced some nice groups till I ran out of those and started messing with the Winchester 34 lobloly coated rounds, which didn't perform well and took a good deal cleaning to get the funk out of the barrel.

Now to adjust the trigger, find a few replacement screws (scope rings and action), bed it and start experimenting with loads.

Thanks everyone for helping me make a decision and for all the useful information.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

mshelton: A fellow forum member is THE source for any CZ trigger springs (or Anschutz) you may need to really tweak that trigger to your liking.

http://www.jnpgunsprings.com/product_in ... 7090c1e3a5

Good luck with the new rifle, I know you're gonna like it even more once you feed it handloads. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Mike,

As Rick said, once you start feeding it and get some rounds down the tube, she will shoot. The CZ's have their quirks (long trigger reach (when set), bolt handle/scope clearance and odd fitting scope ring system) but everyone I've spoken to that owns them rave about their accuracy.

Jim
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

I do not buy rifles without interchangeable barrels. By that I mean barrels that I can install myself without a "gunsmith." Since I started building rifles on Savage Precision Target Actions, all others pale by comparison. Just went squirrel popping yesterday, with the .204 Ruger barrel installed, every squirrel aimed at is now deceased. Pulled it out of the safe after two months, pulled the barreled action out of the stock to clean and reset the action, re-torqued the screws and went hunting (Lower of the two rifles shown). Never changes point of impact. This thing is just phenomenal, as is the .204 Ruger cartridge. It uses a Shilen Select Match Savage Replacement barrel 1:12 twist. Because I installed it, headspace is dead on, done with care properly torqued to specification.

Building another, dual port model with a Pac-Nor .204 1:8.5" twist barrel for heavy weight Berger and lead-free bullets. If you buy the Savage, you too can learn to swap barrels. That way you have so many options the mind boggles.

Also saw that Shilen is offering a Remington footprint target action with the Savage barrel nut, a floating bolt head, interchanges cartridge head sizes, and it uses Remington triggers. That will be my next experiment.

Pick up a Model 12 LRPV or LRPU Dual Port and be done with it. Savage changed everything.

PS: The unfinished stock above is not for the barreled action shown, had not received the correct stock when photographed.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

Workmanship?

What workmanship?

Three rounds of 32-gr Nosler .204 into 0.171" C-C @200 yards from a box stock Savage 12 VL.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

There are boo-koos of Remington parts available. But one of the hardest to land is a factory bolt, and why that is; "is beyond me".
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim: I know what you mean about Remmy bolts. But lately, Brownells has had M700 SA and LA's, so they might now have bolts available. It may be worth a check, because as you say, there is beaucoup parts available for Remmy's, just like a small block Chevy. It might be worth checking out if you need one.....
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails